UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

"Roman Salute"

M. Porcius Cato

Despite Curry's claims that the 'Roman salute' originated in America (it doesn't matter if it did or did not) does this actually mean that the salute was a modern invention that through various 'peplums' and Hollywood films came to be associated with the ancient Romans?

Was he right or did the salute originate in ancient Rome?

Films took up the salute from older artwork which in turn was inspired by roman statues and motifs. Is it accurate? Probably not, but somewhere there must be a glimpse of what they did. The military must have used some form of recognition for authority.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Symbols only become "bad" when someone gets offended. Many people don't see anything wrong with the Hammer and Sickle, even though both Mao and Stalin killed more civilians than Hitler did. As far as percentages of a population goes, no one in modern history can beat Pol Pot. Despite these evil fellows the Hammer and Sickle are often seen as fashionable. I don't see why the Nazi's are always considered to have a monopoly on evil. They were bad, but they weren't alone. I dare someone to name one country in The Second World War that came out without any atrocites under their belts. Maybe Greece.

Edited by Julius Ratus

Switzerland? I was going to name Sweden but they knicked a load of B17's from the americans....

A bad symbol is down to association. Whereas this 'roman salute' is nothing untoward its connection to the nazi regime makes most people a little uncomfortable with it.

Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Finland, Norway, and China can be added to Greece.

The American style military salute was used (and still is) by all the murders cited. Perhaps the Nazi salute was (and is) so reviled is because it was also used by civilians.

I dare someone to name one country in The Second World War that came out without any atrocites under their belts.

Completely off-topic. Why this thread has wandered so far from the origin of the Roman salute is beyond me. Don't you all have any interest in ancient Rome?