1. 1. Preference

• The Great Pyramids of Giza
    • The Hanging Gardens of Babylon
    • The Statue of Zeus at Olympia
    • The Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
    • The Mausoleum at Halicarnassus
    • The Colossus of Rhodes
    • The Lighthouse of Alexandria

okay I understand. It's my mistake, I have misunderstood your viewpoints. Just trying to make a suggestion, since I am a Chinese and I would like to help to build the name of my own nation.

No worries Miguel... nothing wrong with making suggestions whether everyone agrees or not. That's what the forum is here for. :rolleyes:

The Colossus of Rhodes are getting a lot more attention then expected. Should not undoubtedly the greatest be Giza, or people are just looking for something different?

Compared to the modern Seven Wonders of the world the pyramids put those to shame. At least the ancient ones can compare.

Eiffel Tower- not that great.

Great Wall of China- has been modified so many times.

Taj Mah Hal- just because it is Islamic influenced does not mean it is a wonder. I can show you a million older and nicer palaces than that.

Big Ben- sorry England, but are you kidding me?

Leaning Tower of Pisa- congrats you defied science.

Edited by Rameses the Great

The Colossus of Rhodes are getting a lot more attention then expected. Should not undoubtedly the greatest be Giza, or people are just looking for something different?

I think several of us just feel that their continued existence just spoils a bit of the imaginative process. Oddly enough, their durability actually detracts from their appeal to me somehow.

Lots of civilizations have built pyramids. From the standpoint of structural engineering, they're not that imaginative. A colossal statue whose legs spanned the harbor (so it has been described) is an engineering marvel. That's the reason I voted for the colossus against the pyramids.

Lots of civilizations have built pyramids. From the standpoint of structural engineering, they're not that imaginative. A colossal statue whose legs spanned the harbor (so it has been described) is an engineering marvel. That's the reason I voted for the colossus against the pyramids.

I understand that you don't think making a pyramid is that great. I agree to some degree that if you have a bunch of workers you can easily make a pyramid. This is what sets the pyramid of Giza aside and in my opinion just puts the other one to shame:

All of the other known pyramids including the one in Mexico and various places are all step pyramids. The Egyptian one was made in a 45 degree angle and aligned almost perfectly with the stars.

Time. Look at the pyramids it had stood the test of time through desert storms earthquakes and 5,000 years. Sorry but simply the tropical calm rain all season area of Mexico has nothing on Egypt. Especially when it's barely a 1,000 years old maybe even younger.

Can't be duplicated. To this day the amount the stones weighed, the way they were able to organize people to do it is amazing. With a step pyramid you can just compile a steady base going up. However the modern day pyramids were slanted and had no steps. Modern technology can't even do that.

Can't be duplicated. To this day the amount the stones weighed, the way they were able to organize people to do it is amazing. With a step pyramid you can just compile a steady base going up. However the modern day pyramids were slanted and had no steps. Modern technology can't even do that.

Hey if they can build one in Bosnia 45 billion years ago, anyone can build one. :lol:

i think i voted for the light house.. but i jsut find the pyramids a bit ... uh... boring? B)

Maybe we should all see the Discovery channel documentary on how they thought the Giza pyramids were built and their actual look.

Now when they showed what the Pyramid actually looked like, I was like "HOLY...", that thing was such a huge contrast from the desert background with its blinding white limestone(?) due to the sunlight. I mean, the thing looked spectacular, and so greatly different from the one today.

Edited by FLavius Valerius Constantinus

With a step pyramid you can just compile a steady base going up. However the modern day pyramids were slanted and had no steps. Modern technology can't even do that.

Modern technology can't build a slanted pyramid with no steps????? Behold--one in Memphis, Tennessee, another in Las Vegas, still another in Paris, then there's the one in Salt Lake City, and yet another in Long Beach, California. Five counter-examples in about five minutes through Google. Please, check your facts BEFORE you post.

Big Ben- sorry England, but are you kidding me?

I wasnt aware Big Ben was considered one of the wonders of the modern world,Big Ben is the thirteen ton bell in the clock tower of the Parliment building.Who could consider a rather large but none the less still only a bell, a wonder of the world when the Millau bridge isnt even on the list?

millauty3.th.jpg

Edited by longbow

I was wondering if archaeologists had dug up the remains of the Colossus from the bottom of the ocean. I think I read a few years back that they had managed to drag up a few smaller pieces. I haven't seen any of it, and I was wondering if they are on display or if the Archaeologists took photographs of the monument at the bottom of the sea.

I've always felt that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon sound and look like the greatest wonder of the ancient world; to so adeptly combine human architecture with natural wonders is an art that it Humans seem to take great pleasure in doing, and that i find highly admirable.

However, the hitch with this is, according to several sites i looked at, it is hard to prove without a doubt that the gardens actually existed. According to wikipedia, (not an infallible source i admit) there is no Babylonian record that the Hanging gardens actually existed, and it is possible that these gardens were confused in history with those of Nineveh.

However, imagination is a wonderful thing, and to imagine entering a place containing palaces covered with shelfs of overhanging plants and natural surroundings easily convinces me that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (if they existed) were the greatest of the ancient wonders.

I do however, like the connotations of the Alexandrian Lighthouse.

As for the pyramids; well, i am sure that they must have been hugely impressive when they were originally built, but, pardon the pun, they just don't stack up to other things. Pyramids built by the Central and South American civilisations (who didn't have the benefit of the wheel) seem to me to be that bit more impressive than the Egyptian pyramids. And, there are a fair share of South American Pyramids that are aligned to the sun and stars, i believe...

Edited by Tobias

Tobias Posted Today, 12:17 PM

However, imagination is a wonderful thing, and to imagine entering a place containing palaces covered with shelfs of overhanging plants and natural surroundings easily convinces me that the Hanging Gardens of Babylon (if they existed) were the greatest of the ancient wonders.

I read of an experiment carried out by archaeologists in Iraq (or at least one country in the Middle East) several years ago, in which they attempted to figure out how the Babylonians could build a system to keep the gardens with plenty of water and how to have this water pushed up a few storeys in different directions. I don't know if they suceeded but it just goes to show how much work that went into the building of the structures and how ingenious the ancients could be in their engineering skills.

Tobias Posted Today, 12:17 PM

I read of an experiment carried out by archaeologists in Iraq (or at least one country in the Middle East) several years ago, in which they attempted to figure out how the Babylonians could build a system to keep the gardens with plenty of water and how to have this water pushed up a few storeys in different directions. I don't know if they suceeded but it just goes to show how much work that went into the building of the structures and how ingenious the ancients could be in their engineering skills.

Here's a site that gives quite a bit of information on the gardens and how they were watered

http://www.unmuseum.org/hangg.htm