UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Geek Amicus, you are a member of the Cominia gens, a plebeian gens that distinguished itself through members who served as tribune of the plebs and military tribune, as well as two brothers (Publius and Lucius) who were described by Cicero as having been men of character and eloquence.

You were not born into this family, however, having entered it first as a Greek slave who was eventually granted her freedom. As was customary, upon obtaining your freedom you also took on the name of the family (Cominia). Your original Greek name of "Moera" (meaning "portion," as in the portion of life allotted to us all by the Fates) thereby became your cognomen. Your full Roman freedwoman name now is:

Cominia Moera

= mameonrciiok -k +a

-- Nephele

athene, you are a member of the Taurentii, a gens whose name is believed by some to have been derived from the Latin word taurus (indicating the strength of a bull), and by others as having been derived from the gens name of the plebeian Terentii.

You entered the family as a Greek slave, and eventually was granted your freedom. As was customary, you took the gens name for your own, and your Greek name of "Chrysonoe" (meaning "golden mind"). Your full Roman freedwoman name is:

Taurentia Chrysonoe

= reoctuny ohnraemmst -mm +ia

-- Nephele

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of the letters of your first and last names (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

Okay, here goes. I am a male. ridashowanjrlchh

Hi - I would be interested in seeing my hidden Roman name! I have scrambled my current tria nomina thus: scoalusjneanmd. I am female and my research interests are in the late Republic - early Principate (if that helps!) Thanks

Geek Amicus, you are a member of the Cominia gens, a plebeian gens that distinguished itself through members who served as tribune of the plebs and military tribune, as well as two brothers (Publius and Lucius) who were described by Cicero as having been men of character and eloquence.

You were not born into this family, however, having entered it first as a Greek slave who was eventually granted her freedom. As was customary, upon obtaining your freedom you also took on the name of the family (Cominia). Your original Greek name of "Moera" (meaning "portion," as in the portion of life allotted to us all by the Fates) thereby became your cognomen. Your full Roman freedwoman name now is:

Cominia Moera

= mameonrciiok -k +a

-- Nephele

Thanks.

R. Walsh, you are a member of the Orchii, a plebeian gens which traces its lineage from that notable Gaius Orchius who not only distinguished himself as a tribune of the plebs in the third year after the consulship of Cato in 181 BCE, but who was also infamous for authoring a law which limited the number of guests to be present at entertainments. Macrobius tells us in his work, Saturnalia, that, when attempts were made to repeal this unpopular law, Cato defended it.

Your cognoman is "Adrianus," as your family came from the town of Hadria in Picenum. Your praenomen is "Lucius," customarily abbreviated as "L." Your full Roman name is:

L. Orchius Adrianus

= ridashowanjrlchh -hhjw +iuus

Waterdragon, you are a member of the Salonii, a family of humble origins yet nevertheless proud of the fact that they are descended from Marcus Salonius, who was the father of the second wife of Cato the Censor.

You happen to be the younger of two daughters in your family, and so your parents call you "Secunda," as is customary. (Your elder sister is called "Prima.") Your full Roman name is:

Salonia Secunda

= scoalusjneanmd -jm +ia

-- Nephele

Just amazing - this thread has been going for years!

I'd love to have my name Romanised

Goaarrbtilberes

And I'm female

Thanks!

Sorry I got behind on these!

WickedTiff, you are a member of the Trebii, a Roman family that included one of Caesar's officers in Gaul (M. Trebius Gallus), as well as a consul under the emperor Hadrianus (Trebius Sergianus). Your parents named you "Festina" because you were a quick child, always scurrying about. Your full Roman name is:

Trebia Festina

= Tafahlerntysbhfei (changing the y to an i, and removing the letters f,h,h,l)

Noricum, you are a member of the Sertorii, a Roman family which included the military leader Quintus Sertorius. Your parents gave you the additional name of "Belgia" because your father (also a military leader), was an admirer of the ancient leader of the Gaulish army, Belgius, who defeated the Macedonians (in 280 BCE). Your full Roman name is:

Sertoria Belgia

= Goaarrbtilberes (adding an i, and removing the letters b,r)

-- Nephele

Skywatcher, you are a member of the Paterclii, a Roman family whose sole claim to fame may be that a certain Paterclius was mentioned in an epigram of the poet Martialis (Book XII, Epigram LXXVII) as being the owner of some public latrines.

Your cognomen of "Tyrrhenus" was bestowed upon you because of your family's ancient Etruscan connections (Tyrrhenus in Etruscan legend having been one of the founders of the Etruscan Federation of Twelve Cities). Your praenomen is "Gaius," traditionally abbreviated with the letter "C." Your full Roman name is:

C. Paterclius Tyrrhenus

= PrptcyhHnecaErkeltir (swapping the letters ehkp for usus)

Wicked Tiff and Noricum, I was bit rusty the other night while doing your names, and didn't do a straight swap of letters (as in a proper blanagram). So I'm doing your names again.

WickedTiff, you are a member of the Strabonii, a modest Roman family that includes in its ancestry a physician of some note. You originally came to this family as a slave, and they named you "Elethyia" (after the goddess of childbirth, because you were especially helpful to the mistress of the house when she gave birth to the master's heir). Because of your loyal service, you were granted your freedom. As was customary, you retained your slave name as your cognomen, and adopted the family name as your own. Your Roman name is:

Strabonia Elethyia

= Tafahlerntysbhfei (swapping the letters bfh for aio)

Noricum, you are a member of the Staberii, your father being Lucius Staberius, a known friend of Pompey who was put in charge of the Greek city of Apollonia. Your parents named you "Regiola," because of your imperious nature even as an infant. You are the family's "little queen." Your full Roman name is:

Staberia Regiola

= Goaarrbtilberes (swapping the letters br for ia)

-- Nephele

Skywatcher, you are a member of the Paterclii, a Roman family whose sole claim to fame may be that a certain Paterclius was mentioned in an epigram of the poet Martialis (Book XII, Epigram LXXVII) as being the owner of some public latrines.

Your cognomen of "Tyrrhenus" was bestowed upon you because of your family's ancient Etruscan connections (Tyrrhenus in Etruscan legend having been one of the founders of the Etruscan Federation of Twelve Cities). Your praenomen is "Gaius," traditionally abbreviated with the letter "C." Your full Roman name is:

C. Paterclius Tyrrhenus

= PrptcyhHnecaErkeltir (swapping the letters ehkp for usus)

Wicked Tiff and Noricum, I was bit rusty the other night while doing your names, and didn't do a straight swap of letters (as in a proper blanagram). So I'm doing your names again.

WickedTiff, you are a member of the Strabonii, a modest Roman family that includes in its ancestry a physician of some note. You originally came to this family as a slave, and they named you "Elethyia" (after the goddess of childbirth, because you were especially helpful to the mistress of the house when she gave birth to the master's heir). Because of your loyal service, you were granted your freedom. As was customary, you retained your slave name as your cognomen, and adopted the family name as your own. Your Roman name is:

Strabonia Elethyia

= Tafahlerntysbhfei (swapping the letters bfh for aio)

Noricum, you are a member of the Staberii, your father being Lucius Staberius, a known friend of Pompey who was put in charge of the Greek city of Apollonia. Your parents named you "Regiola," because of your imperious nature even as an infant. You are the family's "little queen." Your full Roman name is:

Staberia Regiola

= Goaarrbtilberes (swapping the letters br for ia)

-- Nephele

Thanks so much Nephele! This has been an interesting thread to read ....

And I always was a bit bossy :rolleyes: