UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Rameses, you hail from the family of Granius, whose early member's wit forever associated this name with same:

Andrew Nagy Rezk -rewyz +iusus

=

K. Granius Audens

"His wit and caustic humor rendered him famous among his contemporaries, and have transmitted his name to posterity." (from Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Biography and Mythology)

Your cognomen, "Audens", means "bold; daring" in Latin.

Amazing! Simply amazing! My last name in Arabic means to prosper!

This is so cool. I think you're a genius.

All in all thank you, it was very interesting and fun. :huh:

Edited by Rameses the Great

All in all thank you, it was very interesting and fun. :)

Thank you for letting me play with your name! :huh:

-- Nephele

ModernMarvel (or, Lucius Aelius Remus), you are a member of the Aelia gens, which spawned many a notable Roman. Your cognomen of Remus suggests that your particular family line may have sided with the unfortunate Remus at the start of Rome's history.

ehnyr bmealln (-hnybn +iusus)

=

L. Aelius Remus

-- Nephele

kio709, or Caius, you belong to the plebian Grania gens, from which some members rose to senatorial rank under the Republic, and to high stations in the army under the Empire. You have the distinction of possessing two cognomina: your primary cognomen of Niger ("black") suggests that your ancestors were dark-haired, while your secondary cognomen of Venator ("huntsman") indicates an ancestral occupation.

igcravronnengrustien (-n +a)

=

C. Granius Niger Venator

-- Nephele

Guest The Kreick

Naphele~

greetings - heres mine for a try - male name if you please

epshoj cfnarsi iannnge

happy 2760!

Kreick

Kreick, you're a freedman of the unfortunate L. Annius, who was struck down by the gods for blasphemy. Before he died, L. Annius had made a provision in his will to free his slaves (you being one of those).

In gratitude to your former master (even though he was an impious wretch), and as is customary, you assumed your master's name for your nomen, while keeping your former Greek name of Nicephor (meaning "bearer of victory") as your cognomen. You're also now a full Roman citizen, named:

Gnaeus Annius Nicephor

(epshoj cfnarsi iannnge -jf +uu)

You have to wait for March to arrive!

I could be wrong, but I thought we Romans have been celebrating New Year's Day on the 1st of Ianuarius since the year of the Consuls Ti. Annius Luscus and Q. Fulvious Nobilior (in 601 A.U.C.)? Regardless, I don't like those pesky two new months added in the winter, which have thrown off the whole numbering system.

Happy New Year, Octavi carissime!

-- Nephele

Cara N.C., :wub:, we will have at the date of the Roman New Year in another post. So, load up your pea shooter. I hold to present date March 21.

No responses, please. This is N. C's thread.

:hammer:

Guest Gaia Maria Caeca

This is my first post here, so I hope I'm getting it right. At any rate, finding my hidden Roman name (and history) might be fun, so here goes.

whaoct iSrsaaytaihH aaPhan

I'm female.

Maria Caeca

This is my first post here...

Welcome, Maria Caeca! Your scramble is a bit long to work with. Could you please trim it down a bit by removing a middle name? Thanks!

-- Nephele