UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Guest Gaia Maria Caeca

Ok, let's try this one. If it doesn't suit, I can always make 3 words out of the scramble of my full name.

. hswaHaaay hthoSan

Good luck!

Maria Caeca

GMC, you were once a Greek captive of the great senator and general, Gn. Hosidius Geta.

Geta was so entranced by your beauty and wit, that he rewarded you with your freedom. You voluntarily continue as a member of his household, helping to manage the general's household affairs. For your Roman name, you have taken the nomen of your former master (feminine form, of course), and added to it your original Greek name (which signifies "immortal beauty") for your cognomen. Your name is:

Hosidia Athanasia

(hswaHaaay hthoSan -hhwy +diii)

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

Guest Gaia Maria Caeca

Thanks! This is grand fun.

Hosadia Athenasia (the beautiful and witty) LOL!

Thanks! This is grand fun.

Hosadia Athanasia (the beautiful and witty) LOL!

You're welcome! Thanks for letting me play with your name -- send your friends!

-- Nephele

Guest finduilas

And what do you make of

aetnj ahthere ceno (first middle last, female) :)

finduilas, you're a member of the Decia gens, which has spawned many a noble Roman bearing the nomen of Decius. You come from a large family -- you're the ninth daughter born, in fact. And so, as is often the case, your parents gave you the feminine praenomen of "Nona" to indicate your order of birth. Your full name is:

Nona Decia

(aetnj ceno -etj +dia)

Salve! Welcome!

-- Nephele

M. Scaevola, you were once a gladiator who distinguished himself to such a high degree in the arena (you have scores of Patrician female fans who sigh and grow weak-kneed at the very mention of your name) that you earned your freedom as a result.

You're still a superstar in Rome (what noteworthy gladiator isn't?), as well as a full Roman citizen now. For your Roman citizen name you took the praenomen of "Servius", the nomen of "Aurelius" (to indicate your golden fortune), and the cognomen of "Thraex" (meaning "Thracian", and also indicative of the type of gladiator you were -- a deadly expert with the small shield and saber):

Ser. Aurelius Thraex

(haeltx rwceae ddrsr -wcdd +iuus)

-- Nephele

Woot!

Are you a patrician? I'd love to have you swoon... :wub:

Thanks a lot!

I'm a slave dancer actually, from the House of Lycus.

But I can swoon real good. And, you're welcome!

-- Nephele

I bet I come out as a slave on a pig farm near Lindum.... :ph34r::P

slmjacerimaerolmhie

Edited by votadini

votadini, you didn't say whether male or female, so I had a peek in your profile. Nice picture! (Both of you and the statue.)

You are a soldier, conscripted from a northern tribe in the province of Britannia. Having proven your mettle, you were adopted into the notable Aelia gens (the same gens which adopted the Etrurian soldier known as Sejanus, who became a favorite of the Emperor Tiberius).

For your Roman name you have taken the name of your adoptive gens, as is customary, and for your cognomen you have taken the nickname given to you by your fellow soldiers -- Hercules -- in recognition of your almost demi-godlike strength and ferocity on the battlefield. The agnomen of "Maior" is to distinguish you from another, younger Hercules (Aelius Hercules Minor) in the company, who has modeled himself after you in admiration. Frequently, you find this younger soldier's copycat devotion to be more annoying than flattering, which serves as a source of amusement for your fellow soldiers.

Aelius Hercules Maior

(slmjacerimaerolmhie -mjm +uus)

-- Nephele

Thanks Nephele, just glad I'm not a dung-collector or pig-poke :D

Thanks Nephele, just glad I'm not a dung-collector or pig-poke :ph34r:

Votadini, you're far too noble to have been a dung-collector or pig-poke. And I've far too much free time this evening, so I thought I'd work on your scramble some more to amuse myself. As a result, I came up with some better blanagrams for you. Better, in that I've used fewer letter substitutions for these.

You are now quite wealthy. In fact, you're a member of the Maelia gens, the "richest plebian gens of the equestrian order, shortly after the time of the decemvirate."

C. Maelius Hermes Maior

(slmjacerimaerolmhie -jl +us)

Or, if you prefer, you can have any of these names:

L. Maecius Hermes Maior (-jl +us)

C. Mallius Hermes Maior (-ej +us)

C. Laelius Hermes Maior (-jm +us)

L. Caelius Hermes Maior (-jm +us)

And none of them are privy polishers! Have fun!

-- Nephele