UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Raptor, you came to Rome as a captive from Thessaly, to be trained as a gladiator. Your original name has been long-forgotten, as they re-named you at the gladiator school with the fearsome name of "Haemon" (meaning "blood").

You fought well in the arena, and were eventually granted your freedom and Roman citizenship as your reward. Upon becoming a citizen, you took the praenomen of "Kaeso" (abbreviated "K.") and the nomen of Maenius in a feeling of kinship with the plebian Maenia gens, noted for having "produced several distinguished champions of the rights of the plebeian order." You retained your gladiator name of Haemon as your cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

K. Maenius Haemon

(hnhejanamkomer -hjr +ius)

Never mind the secret police -- it's Earth.Google.com you have to watch out for. Especially if you've got a skylight in your bathroom...

Now there's an idea. :ph34r:

Yipe! You're in league with Ursus! :clapping:

-- Nephele

Oh, I am so up for this one. Thanks for doing this!

Edited by Bripus Klmunus

Bripus Klmunus, you have somewhat of a literary background, being distantly related to the famous Quintus Ennius, known as "the father of Roman poetry". (You and he share the same nomen).

Unfortunately, you come from a more prosaic branch of the family, as indicated by your cognomen of "Faber" (meaning "skilled worker", possibly "smith"). But being descended from honest workmen is nothing to be ashamed of, as the Roman metal-smithing god Vulcan is your patron, and he was the gods' master craftsman.

Plus, your praenomen is distinctive, by virtue of it being the rare "Proculus" (abbreviated by a "Pr."). Your full Roman name is...

Pr. Ennius Faber

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

Thank you very much, Nephele! I appreciate the time you took to do this for me. :oops:

Thank you very much, Nephele! I appreciate the time you took to do this for me. ;)

You're very welcome, Bripus. If you have a middle name to give me, I might be able to get something else for you.

And -- welcome to UNRV! :oops:

-- Nephele

As per our PM conversation... Thanks!

Edited by Bripus Klmunus

Bripus, I think you put an extra "p" in your scramble by mistake...

Your praenomen is "Agrippa" (abbreviated as "Agrip."). Although nowadays we see this name as a cognomen in Rome, it was originally a praenomen. You were given this name because you were a breech birth (the name meaning "born feet first".)

Your nomen is "Varenus" (a variant of HBO Rome's "Vorenus").

Your cognomen of "Denter" means "toothy" -- as your ancestors were noted for their wolfish grin, which they've passed down to you. :unsure: Your full Roman name is...

Agrip. Varenus Denter

-- Nephele

That's the ticket - thanks! :D This time, I won't lose it. :unsure:

Ingsoc, you bear a rare, ancient praenomen of Etruscan origin -- "Lar" -- indicating (in Etruscan) that you are a first-born. You are of the Gratii, and also among those Roman citizens who do not possess a cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

Lar Gratius

glreauitra -e +s

Alternately, you could just be known as...

Laterarius

glreauitra -g +s

Describing your occupation: "brick-maker".

-- Nephele

Thank You Nephele for that nice Welcome.

I have always been a fan of ancient Rome. sine HBO Rome, the internet and this forum I can learn what I have notknown for years.

One site I've found recently is: The Lives Of The Twelve Caesars, Complete

by C. Suetonius Tranquillus

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6400/6400-h/6400-h.htm

If no one ever read Suetonius's works, this is your big chance to do so.

Here is my secret nam scramble, done three ways for your edification.

nbsparnosttbore

or

nbsptanrotebomsr

or

nbspobathwteramttnrsoe

Looking forward to discovering new facts about rome.

Gaius Junius Caesar

GJC, your third scramble worked best -- thanks for giving me three choices! And, again, welcome to UNRV!

Your hidden Roman name reveals that you are related to a famous satirist, although your particular branch of the family was noted for being a bit squint-eyed.

Your praenomen is "Marcus", abbreviated with an M., and your full Roman name is...

M. Petronius Strabo

(nbsptanrotebomsr -bn +iu)

-- Nephele

Thank you Nephele, I take you really enjoy these anagrams. I couldn't help but remember the last name Strabo was the same name as the head gladiator at the gladiators scholl in Spartacus.

By the way, this site has a strange selection of smilies. I bet a few of those were selected by professors.....LOL

G. J. Caesar

GJC, your third scramble worked best -- thanks for giving me three choices! And, again, welcome to UNRV!

Your hidden Roman name reveals that you are related to a famous satirist, although your particular branch of the family was noted for being a bit squint-eyed.

Your praenomen is "Marcus", abbreviated with an M., and your full Roman name is...

M. Petronius Strabo

(nbsptanrotebomsr -bn +iu)

-- Nephele

Thank you Nephele, I take you really enjoy these anagrams. I couldn't help but remember the last name Strabo was the same name as the head gladiator at the gladiators scholl in Spartacus.

You're very welcome -- and, I guess this makes you a gladiator, too!

-- Nephele