UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Mrniat Cnyucha Sbustb :)

Work your magic Nephele.

Edited by Zeke

Hello, Nephele! Can you do mine, please? Thanks awfully! Richard Neil Harrison.

Zeke, you belong to the gens Babrinii, a family who helped to found the ancient town of Aquileia in northern Italia (two Babrinii, a Lucius and a Publius, are recorded on epitaphs found there). Your first name is Gnaeus (abbreviated with a "Cn."). Your cognomen of "Athictus" also belonged to the owner of a bar in Pompeii, noted for a humorously off-color graffito found to the right of the door.

Your full Roman name is...

Cn. Babrinius Athictus

(Mrniat Cnyucha Sbustb -my +ii)

What if you already have your Roman name?

Then have another! :)

Hi, Northern Neil! I'll be back later today with yours.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele Carnalis

Back again, Northern Neil, and I noticed that I'd already done your name in this thread awhile back. Though at the time, you'd only given me your middle and last names to work with, and I wasn't too happy with the results. Using your full name, however, you get a glorious Roman name!

Your praenomen of Rufus (abbreviated with an "R") is often seen as a cognomen, and more rarely as a praenomen. You belong to the noble gens Cornelii, which fathered over 30% of all the consuls of the grand old Republic. Your cognomen of Hadrianus indicates that your family originally came from the ancient city of Hadria, in the region of Picenum in Italia, the same region that gave birth to the illustrious Pompey the Great.

Your full Roman name is...

R. Cornelius Hadrianus

(Richard Neil Harrison -hnr +uus)

-- Nephele

WOW-What a name! Thanks, Nephele! I forgot I'd already asked you for my name - I must've lost a few brain cells since then! But yes, I agree - this name is a lot more prestigious than the one only using my middle and surnames. Pity I can't change my UNRV name to this...

WOW-What a name! Thanks, Nephele! I forgot I'd already asked you for my name - I must've lost a few brain cells since then! But yes, I agree - this name is a lot more prestigious than the one only using my middle and surnames. Pity I can't change my UNRV name to this...

Thank you, NN. :furious: Actually, you can request a screen name change by sending a PM to Primus Pilus. I did, when I first signed on here, and I think a couple of others have made changes, as well.

Heheh, I was pleased to work your blanagram so that you'd wind up in the gens Cornelii, as the name "Neil" is sometimes taken for a diminutive of "Cornelius". Also, your cognomen of "Hadrianus" pays tribute to the Emperor Hadrian who built that famous wall in the north of your country. Do you happen to live near Hadrian's Wall?

-- Nephele

Do you happen to live near Hadrian's Wall?

-- Nephele

Yes, about 70 miles from its Western end. Look on a map of England for a town on the North West coast called Barrow - In- Furness. My home, for better or worse!

-- Nephele

Yes, about 70 miles from its Western end. Look on a map of England for a town on the North West coast called Barrow - In- Furness. My home, for better or worse!

I can't even find Brigantia on a map, let alone Barrow, etc.

-- Nephele

Found you on my road atlas! Oh, you're by the sea! It must be lovely. Your Isle of Walney looks like a mini-Long Island!

-- Nephele

Roman bl00d, you are a member of the Varii, a gens which claimed many illustrious members, among whom were a famous poet, and an equestrian senator.

You are also a descendant of the infamous, 5th century B.C.E. Vestal Virgin known as Postumia, who got in trouble for having a bit too much wit and charm. Fortunately for Postumia, she was merely warned, and didn't suffer the fate of live burial to which other erring Vestals were subjected.

As a lovely, irrepressible maiden of Rome, exhibiting the wit and charm of her Vestal ancestor, you have earned a cognomen in her honor. Your full Roman name is...

Varia Postumia

(raiam suthpoav -h +i)

-- Nephele

Nephele, should you find yourself with too much time maybe you could do the same trick for my more hellenised pseudo in order to make me feel more "at home" in this roman world :shocking:

Nephele, should you find yourself with too much time maybe you could do the same trick for my more hellenised pseudo in order to make me feel more "at home" in this roman world :shocking:

I

In fact Hecatee is no godess but the name of the first historian of the greek world : if Herodotus is the father of history then Hecatee of Miletus is history's grandfather. The whole screen-name should in fact be Bryaxis ( from the sculptor of the northern face of Halicarnassus Mausoleum ), Hecatee from the historian, Pallasalexandride as a composite last name ( which could be translated as "he who comes down from Athena Pallas and Alexander the Great" ).

It must be said that the name was first created for a role-play game where I was to be an important religious and political man with a great interest in culture, which I tried to give through the name...

As for the real life name you can also play with it if you wish, it's Pascal Lemaire.

Edited by Bryaxis Hecatee