UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

In fact Hecatee is no godess but the name of the first historian of the greek world : if Herodotus is the father of history then Hecatee of Miletus is history's grandfather.

Ah! Thank you for the info on Hecatee of Meletus!

As for your Roman identity... You are of the gens Baebii, a somewhat obscure plebian family of old Rome. In a desperate bid to make a name for yourself and your future descendants, you broke away from the respectability of your father's business to voluntarily offer yourself up as a gladiator in the arena. You adopted the cognomen of "Thraex", naming yourself for the type of gladiator you were trained to be, fearlessly wielding a small shield and saber. You retained your original first name of "Gaius" (abbreviated with a "C."). Your full Roman name is...

C. Baebius Thraex

(Bryaxis Hecatee -ey +um)

But wait -- there's more! You get a choice of Roman identities. You might be a member of the Laelii, with the first name of "Publius" and the cognomen of "Macer" (describing your branch of the gens as being somewhat thin in physical appearance).

P. Laelius Macer

(Pascal Lemaire -a +u)

Or you might be a member of the gens Maelii, again with the first name of "Publius", but with the cognomen of "Laeca" (describing a strong trait of left-handedness in your family line).

P. Maelius Laeca

(Pascal Lemaire -r +u)

Which do you choose?

-- Nephele

Salvete !

May I have my name done? rlaedeniaermlslweosn

Salvete !

May I have my name done? rlaedeniaermlslweosn

Your scramble is a bit long to work with, Vesperii. Could you please remove your middle name from it?

And -- welcome to UNRV! :)

-- Nephele

No problem and thank you! :)

enaerdlenwso

Edited by Vesperii

Vesperii, you have a truly lovely name in your cognomen of "Selene", meaning "the moon" (this was a name also borne by Cleopatra, and given to the daughter she had by Marcus Antonius). Your nomen of "Cordia" mirrors the silver disc of the moon, as this Roman gens is known to us through the silver denarius of Mn. Cordius Rufus (who happens to be your noble ancestor). Your full Roman name is...

Cordia Selene

(enaerdlenwso -nw +ci)

-- Nephele

Would it be possible for you to do my name as well?

xliefianmiadnob

Thank you! ^__^

Scipio Aemilianus, you are a member of the Manilii, a small, plebian gens which nevertheless produced a consul and a tribune.

It was unusual for the Manilii to have cognomina, as there weren't that many branches of the family to warrant same. However, you were given the agnomen of "Dexion" (meaning "The Receiver") -- a Greek title once conferred upon the great tragedian, Sophocles, in recognition of his having received the favor of the demigod of healing, Asclepius. Like Sophocles, you are a promoter of Asclepius. (Your mother wanted you to become a doctor.)

Your praenomen is "Aulus", abbreviated with an "A." Your full Roman name is...

A. Manilius Dexion

(xliefianmiadnob -bf +us)

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Salve Nephele,

I just noticed that I could've played with my first and middle and another family line as well, if I can? ^_^

arledenalsmielr

&

drelaennlaaeigr

Salve Nephele,

I just noticed that I could've played with my first and middle and another family line as well, if I can? ^_^

No problem, Vesperii. Here are two more for you:

Serenilla Merula

(arledenalsmielr -d +u)

Serenilla is a diminutive of "Serena", meaning "serene; peaceful". Merula is a cognomen meaning "blackbird".

Galerina Merenda

(drelaennlaaeigr -l +m)

Galerina is a feminine diminutive of Galerius, the nomen of a 4th century Roman emperor. Merenda is a cognomen meaning "afternoon meal".

So, which of these names do you choose?

-- Nephele

Thank you so much, Nephele. I'm torn between Cordia Selene and Serenilla Merula... I'm gonna have to see which one 'feels' better, though I'm leaning towards the latter. :lol:

P. Laelius Macer

(Pascal Lemaire -a +u)

I have to say, Bryaxis - that with a real name as lovely as Pascal Lemaire, you do not need another! :lol:

I have to say, Bryaxis - that with a real name as lovely as Pascal Lemaire, you do not need another! :)

Yes, I agree. Pascal Lemaire is a lovely name. But, to me, a "lovely name" is any name I can anagram! Wheee!

Pascal Lemaire

=

Pericles Alama

"Alama" - Arabic verb meaning "to know". Bryaxis, you're an omniscient Greek statesman! :lol:

-- Nephele

I have to say, Bryaxis - that with a real name as lovely as Pascal Lemaire, you do not need another! :)

Yes, I agree. Pascal Lemaire is a lovely name. But, to me, a "lovely name" is any name I can anagram! Wheee!

Pascal Lemaire

=

Pericles Alama

"Alama" - Arabic verb meaning "to know". Bryaxis, you're an omniscient Greek statesman! :)

-- Nephele

I thank you both, fair ladies, for your kind words ! I'm a bit surprised by them for my name never struck me as especially remarkable, Lemaire being a very popular name ( my mother even uses to say it's not a private name anymore but a public one ! ) while Pascal still means "he who has a stiff leg"...

As for the name Pericles Alama I must confess that I like it very much, as it flatters my huge ego ;)