UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Lemaire being a very popular name ( my mother even uses to say it's not a private name anymore but a public one ! ) while Pascal still means "he who has a stiff leg"...

"Lemaire" may be a "public" name, but it's still a prestigious one, if my guess as to its etymology is correct. Do you know if your surname is derived from the Old French mair(e), which comes from the Latin maior, meaning greater, superior, and signifying the "best" or "chief" man of the community (much like the title "Mayor")? As for the name "Pascal"... And here I always thought it had something to do with being born at Eastertide. :)

-- Nephele

Julius22, you didn't say whether you are male or female, but I'm going to guess that you're female.

You get a fanciful Roman name, meaning "Star of Venus":

Venustellia

(Eljuti Anves -j +l)

-- Nephele

Lemaire being a very popular name ( my mother even uses to say it's not a private name anymore but a public one ! ) while Pascal still means "he who has a stiff leg"...

"Lemaire" may be a "public" name, but it's still a prestigious one, if my guess as to its etymology is correct. Do you know if your surname is derived from the Old French mair(e), which comes from the Latin maior, meaning greater, superior, and signifying the "best" or "chief" man of the community (much like the title "Mayor")? As for the name "Pascal"... And here I always thought it had something to do with being born at Eastertide. :)

-- Nephele

Yes Lemaire does indeed come down from the ancient latin word "maior" or "maius" or "magister", which gave words as master, meister, mestre ( = ancient french form of maitre, master ), maitre ( = master ), maire ( = mayor ).

As for Pascal it is indeed connected to the Easter feast but Pesah means either "to pass by" or "to have a stiff leg"

Yes Lemaire does indeed come down from the ancient latin word "maior" or "maius" or "magister", which gave words as master, meister, mestre ( = ancient french form of maitre, master ), maitre ( = master ), maire ( = mayor ).

As for Pascal it is indeed connected to the Easter feast but Pesah means either "to pass by" or "to have a stiff leg"

Ah, you were referring to the Hebrew word, from which we get "Passover". Still, I'm not familiar with the "stiff leg" meaning.

-- Nephele

Ah, you were referring to the Hebrew word, from which we get "Passover". Still, I'm not familiar with the "stiff leg" meaning.

-- Nephele

Well I don't know the exact english word for someone who can't walk well due to having a leg hurt or unusable.

Julius22, I've come up with another name for you (see previous posting), this time using your entire name in blanagram...

Juventia Larenissa

(Eljuti Asnadr Anves -d +i)

This makes you a member of the Juventia Gens, "an ancient plebeian gens which came from Tusculum and settled in Rome, probably in the course of the fourth century B.C. Your cognomen of Larenissa is a feminine adaptation of the cognomen "Larensis"

Well I don't know the exact english word for someone who can't walk well due to having a leg hurt or unusable.

That's okay, Bryaxis -- I gathered what you meant, I just wasn't familiar with that meaning ("stiff leg") being ascribed to the name Pascal or the Hebrew word pesah. :)

-- Nephele

Well I suppose since the rest of the world has done it, so should I... Go on, giive it a go. My name is composed of..

AKLADMROLR

I await with trepidation :)

Well I suppose since the rest of the world has done it, so should I... Go on, giive it a go. My name is composed of..

AKLADMROLR

I await with trepidation ;)

Hah, finally gotcha, Caldrail! :) Do you have a middle name you can include in your scramble? And... male, correct?

-- Nephele

Hah, finally gotcha, Caldrail! :) Do you have a middle name you can include in your scramble? And... male, correct?

-- Nephele

Okeedokeee

Then please extend my anagram to..... AKLNLADMRAAOLR

yep, I do happen to be of the male species. Have I finally defeated the Great Nephele? ;)

Have I finally defeated the Great Nephele? :)

Let's just say you had me stymied for a bit. ;) Plus, I was distracted by that beefcake pic of you in the Gallery. I've a weak spot for gladiators.

Caldrail, one of your noble relations was Laronius, noted for having been "an officer of Augustus in the Sicilian war with Sext. Pompey." Your cognomen of "Ralla" (usually belonging to the Marcii) means "tunic of fine fabric", indicating that your ancestors were snappy dressers. Your full Roman name is...

M. Laronius Ralla

(AKLNLADMRAAOLR -kdo +ius)

-- Nephele

Have I finally defeated the Great Nephele? :)

Let's just say you had me stymied for a bit. ;) Plus, I was distracted by that beefcake pic of you in the Gallery. I've a weak spot for gladiators.

Caldrail, one of your noble relations was Laronius, noted for having been "an officer of Augustus in the Sicilian war with Sext. Pompey." Your cognomen of "Ralla" (usually belonging to the Marcii) means "tunic of fine fabric", indicating that your ancestors were snappy dressers. Your full Roman name is...

M. Laronius Ralla

(AKLNLADMRAAOLR -kdo +ius)

-- Nephele

Not bad! But please don't tell me my ancestors were purveyors of fine garments. Its like saying I'm Mr Haberdasher... I'm pleased to see that my family had a fine military career worthy of note. I'll use that in the forthcoming elections just as soon as I grab enough sestercii for a days games.. ;)

Thanks for the compliments about the pic. Many gladiators died to bring you that jpeg....

Oracus, one of your noble ancestors was Quintus Ancharius, "a senator, and of praetorian rank." Another notable Ancharius in your family tree was a Tribune of the plebs "in the consulship of Caesar and Bibulus." Being a member of the Ancharii, your name is, naturally, Ancharia. You were given the cognomen of "Modesta" by your family in recognition of your modest beauty. Your full Roman name is...

Ancharia Modesta

(aasmdcrnmhaeota -m +i)

Welcome to the UNRV Board!

-- Nephele

Ok I'll partake and let you tell me my secret roman name.

My real name I'll give to you without scrambling, it's many places on the net I'm sure.

Patrick Michael McClain

Omega, considering that your given name is Patrick, it seems only fitting that you should belong to a patrician gens. And not just any patrician gens, but "one of the most ancient and celebrated of the patrician gentes at Rome" -- the Manlia gens.

Of course, coming from such an illustrious gens has made your particular branch of the family somewhat big-headed, and so you inherited the cognomen of "Capito" (meaning "big head"). Your praenomen is "Gaius", abbreviated with a "C."

Your full Roman name is...

C. Manlius Capito

(Patrick McClain -rck +uso)

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele