UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

OK, Nephele - I'm getting very jealous now! You gave me a nice Roman name when I first came here 'Augustalia' based on my user name. But as that sounds more like a festival than a woman's name, I have always longed for another. To test your skills to the full, I will give you another scramble, but this time I will add the middle name that should have appeared on my birth certificate, except that my Dad forgot to give it to the Registrar! See if you can attach me to a family of repute with this: (You can even make me a barbarian, if you like!)

aliguolseikostse

Come on Nephele - I know you can do it.

Augusta, not surprisingly, your love of history is inherited from a famous ancestor who was a controversial historian.

Your cognomen is a feminine diminutive of Gessius, indicating your royal descent from a Roman emperor of the Severan dynasty.

Your full Roman name is

Augusta, not surprisingly, your love of history is inherited from a famous ancestor who was a controversial historian.

Your cognomen is a feminine diminutive of Gessius, indicating your royal descent from a Roman emperor of the Severan dynasty.

Your full Roman name is

Ah - now that's what I call a name, Nephele - thank you! I am honoured to be a Severan, and my connections to old Tranquillus sit well with my love of scandal!

Many thanks for my new identity - it will be cherished.

Glad you enjoyed the new identity! As a Suetonia with an insider's view to the imperial family and friends, your feminine touch on history's scandals will be not only refreshing, but wickedly delightful!

-- Nephele

Ah - now that's what I call a name, Nephele - thank you! I am honoured to be a Severan, and my connections to old Tranquillus sit well with my love of scandal!

Many thanks for my new identity - it will be cherished.

Glad you enjoyed the new identity! As a Suetonia with an insider's view to the imperial family and friends, your feminine touch on history's scandals will be not only refreshing, but wickedly delightful!

-- Nephele

rgaazossuoeiprgok

male

georgious, your praenomen is the relatively uncommon Kaeso.

Your nomen genticulum of "Georgius" is of Greek origin (meaning "one who works the earth"), but it became more prevalent as a Roman name during the Byzantine era.

Your cognomen of "Apro" (meaning "wild boar") was the emblem of Rome's 20th Legion (Legio XX), formed by Augustus and serving on the western and northern frontiers. So your military connection is with the Legio XX. Your full Roman name is:

Kaeso Georgius Apro

(rgaazossuoeiprgok -z +e)

-- Nephele

georgious, your praenomen is the relatively uncommon Kaeso.

Your nomen genticulum of "Georgius" is of Greek origin (meaning "one who works the earth"), but it became more prevalent as a Roman name during the Byzantine era.

Your cognomen of "Apro" (meaning "wild boar") was the emblem of Rome's 20th Legion (Legio XX), formed by Augustus and serving on the western and northern frontiers. So your military connection is with the Legio XX. Your full Roman name is:

Kaeso Georgius Apro

(rgaazossuoeiprgok -z +e)

-- Nephele

Thank you Nephele.

Nephele, do you think you could do one for a class mate of mine?

(Female

lseaibEth ngIo)

Klingan, I'm delighted to blanagram a Roman name for your classmate. She is a member of the gens Egilia, descended from the noted 2nd century B.C.E. wit, Egilius. Her cognomen (which is also the name by which she is best known) is "Honesta", signifying her respectability as a Roman maiden. Her full Roman name is...

Egilia Honesta

(lseaibEth ngIo -b +a)

I don't get to do nearly enough feminine Roman names -- this was a treat! I'm always open for business for any other lady friends of UNRV members here.

-- Nephele

Thanks a lot! :no2: I'm sure she'll be happy for it, and I promise to tell you anyone else want to know their roman name :)

:)

Thanks a lot! :) I'm sure she'll be happy for it, and I promise to tell you anyone else want to know their roman name ;)

:)

Cool! :thumbsup:

And, if you or anyone would like a hippie name, here's the link: Summer of Love.

-- Nephele

(Trying to picture what ancient Roman hippies might've looked like, making the pax sign, and all that...)

cluelessnewbie, since you didn't indicate whether you are male or female, I gave you a masculine name. If you're female, I'll happily re-do your name to give you a sex-change. ;)

Your nomen genticulum of Arranius has been found in numerous ancient Latin inscriptions, but little is known about the name, other than it may be derived from Aruns, the name of the brother of the last king of Rome, who died in battle. Your praenomen of Aulus is abbreviated as "A." Your cognomen of Galeo (meaning "helmet") indicates a military history in your background. Your full Roman name is...

A. Arranius Galeo

(rnroaliszaagja -zj +ue)

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele