UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

sullafelix, you are distantly related to that notable Pompeiian named Loreius Tiburtinus. In fact, Loreius Tiburtinus named you his heir in his will. Unfortunately, the property of Loreius Tiburtinus perished along with him when Pompeii was destroyed in that terrible disaster. (The gods are so unfair!)

Your cognomen of "Ahenobarbus", meaning "bronze-beard", indicates that your ancestors may have had the same brush with the gods Castor and Pollux as did the ancestors of the Emperor Domitianus (when the gods touched the checks of that early Domitian, his beard turned the color of bronze).

Your praenomen is "Numerius", abbreviated as "N." Your full Roman name is:

N. Loreius Ahenobarbus

= lhwrsaswreuinoabeon -ww +ub

-- Nephele

EP Healy, you originally came to Rome as a slave from Alexandria. Your Roman master was named Aelius and, when he set you free, you took his nomen as your Roman praenomen. ("Aelius" being a rare but actual praenomen, in addition to being a nomen gentilicium). Your praenomen of Aelius is abbreviated as "Ael."

You kept your original, Graeco-Persian name of "Dareios" as your nomen (you were named after the 6th century BCE Persian king), but altered it to a Roman spelling: "Darius".

Your cognomen of "Pyrrhus" is a Roman spelling of your Greek nickname, "Pyrros", meaning "flame-colored", as you are fond of the color red and wear it all the time. Your full Roman name is:

Ael. Darius Pyrrhus

= eerwaadrdlherypy -eewdy +iusus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

ddvai ytoannh grwtih (male)

There you go - my first name is jewish, middle is actually an ancient roman name, and last is scottish - thanks

Faustus, you are of the Thoranii, a notable family that included a 1st century BCE legate, a tribune of the plebs, and the tutor/guardian of the young Octavianus (see Smith's).

Your cognomen of "Dignatus" signifies that you were deemed worthy by your peers. Your praenomen is "Titus", abbreviated as T. Your full Roman name is:

T. Thoranius Dignatus

ddvai ytoannh grwtih -hvwy +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I'd like to just say that this is a gr8 string of posts

I would definitely vote you consul if the need should arise

I have a lot of names so i'll give you a few

first name and surname: sthoeporpoincsherr

first name and 1 middle name and surname: dsthodepovrpoinacsherri

first name and both middle names and surname: dstnhodepjovrpoinacshherori

I am (checks) male

I wish my name really was dstnhodepjovrpoinacshherori it would be a right mouthful

neway good luck

i bet ill end up with some awful name like Vibius Tiberuis Costa (even thuogh Tiberius

is not a family) so probs Vibius Cassius Costa

cheers

vtc

Vibius Tiberius Costa, thanks for the props! :D

You came to Rome as a captive from the Gaulic wars. In fact, you had been named after the Gaulic chief of the Bellovaci, Correus (see Smith's), because you exhibited the same "high spirit of independence" as did the original Correus.

Eventually you were set free by your master Opiter Petronius (of the literary Petronii.) As is customary, you took the praenomen and nomen of your former master for yourself, keeping your original, Latinized Gaulic name as your cognomen.

Your praenomen of Opiter (a name given to a Roman child whose father was not living at the time of his birth, but whose grandfather was alive) is abbreviated as "Op." and your full Roman name is:

Op. Petronius Correus

= sthoeporpoincsherr -hh +uu

-- Nephele

I did full scramble and this came out--crhrideacbrrtrgioe

EricT, you are of the Aburii, a notable plebian gens which gave birth to at least one Tribune of the Plebs, in 187 B.C.E. (see Smith's).

You happen to belong to a branch of the Aburii that made its fortune in money lending, and so your cognomen is "Creditor".

Your praenomen is "Servius", abbreviated as "Ser." Your full Roman name is:

Ser. Aburius Creditor

= crhrideacbrrtrgioe -cghr +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

paulus vevus, you belong to the family of the Livii -- though of plebian origin, they nevertheless rose to the height of Roman nobility and one of their most notable members was the Lady Livia who married the Emperor Augustus Caesar, and another one was the historian known as Livy.

You served admirably in Rome's XX Legion, and thus took the emblem of that Legion (the ferocious wild boar) as the basis for your cognomen: "Aper".

You possess the uncommon praenomen of "Vibius", abbreviated as "V." Your full Roman name is:

V. Livius Aper

= slpevrievau -e +i

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele