UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your Hidden Roman Name

Nephele

On a more random note, if you can (as you did :lol:) find out what the scrambled names are, can you work out my original (just mine though, don't cheat and look at my email address)

I don't really try to work out anyone's actual name from their scrambles because 1) Often there can be hundreds of possible names resulting from a scramble, and 2) (I know this is going to sound awful) I don't really find people's actual names as interesting as my own creations, and therefore not worth the effort of trying to figure out.

In Nephele World, everyone sports an anagram of his or her actual name -- ideally, a darkly romantic or humorously macabre "goth" name anagram.

-- Nephele

On a more random note, if you can (as you did :lol:) find out what the scrambled names are, can you work out my original (just mine though, don't cheat and look at my email address)

I don't really try to work out anyone's actual name from their scrambles because 1) Often there can be hundreds of possible names resulting from a scramble, and 2) (I know this is going to sound awful) I don't really find people's actual names as interesting as my own creations, and therefore not worth the effort of trying to figure out.

In Nephele World, everyone sports an anagram of his or her actual name -- ideally, a darkly romantic or humorously macabre "goth" name anagram.

-- Nephele

Interesting, I completely understand what your on about as well :)

vtc

Hi Nephele

Thanks for welcoming me. Hope this is ok.

GELURABS(male)

My interest in ancient rome began about 4 years ago when I got a digibox and started watching the UK history channel. Read a fair bit since but still got an awful lot to learn about this immense topic. Presently reading

"Imperium by Robert Harris, the focus of which is the great Cicero. At the part where Crassus and Pompey have formed their joint consulship. Anyway look forward to conversing with you all.

Regards Glaberus

Hi, Glaberus! The way this works is, you scramble your actual name -- not your screen name -- and I "find" your Roman name hidden among the letters of your actual name. :)

I haven't read any of Robert Harris' novels, but I'll consider your recommendation! And, again, welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Hi Nephele

Sorry I misunderstood. Hope this is ok: NARNAOSMLARHML

Regards

Glaberus

Glaberus, you proudly bear the nomen gentilicium of "Romanius," never missing an opportunity to draw attention to your family's claims to have been direct descendants of Romulus, Rome's founding father.

Your cognomen is "Ralla," which means "scraper; scraping iron." I had previously given that cognomen to another member of this board -- Caldrail -- with the debatable meaning of "tunic of fine fabric," but further research has turned up this different meaning for that cognomen, which I've given to you here.

Your praenomen is "Marcus," abbreviated as "M." Your full Roman name is:

M. Romanius Ralla

= NARNAOSMLARHML -hn +iu

-- Nephele

Correvs, you are a member of the Grania gens, a plebian gens whose members, under the Republic, rose to senatorial rank. (See Smith's).

Your cognomen of "Remolus," meaning "little Remus," indicates that your ancestors were compared to Remus, one of the legendary founders of Rome.

Your praenomen is "Proculus," abbreviated as "Pr." Your full Roman name is:

Pr. Granius Remolus

= pylnirgrymeoasrs -yy +uu

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

my whole name:TODARIEIECHAVORND

male:P

ZeleaCodreanu, you are known by the name of "Diochares" and you have the distinction of being a freedman of Caesar's. In fact, Cicero mentioned you in one of his letters to his friend Atticus when, in 48 BCE, you returned to Rome from Alexandria on an errand for Caesar. (Caesar remained in Alexandria at the time, finishing up the unpleasant business with Pompey and making Cleopatra's acquaintance. But, of course, as Caesar's trusted freedman, you didn't bring any gossip back to Rome with you.)

Your friends have jealously dubbed you with the cognomen of "Adventor," meaning "guest, visitor." This is because, as a freedman, you have gotten busy ingratiating yourself with the rich and powerful. As a result, you are a frequently invited houseguest to all-night banquets in Baiae.

Your full Roman name is:

Diochares Adventor

= TODARIEIECHAVORND -i +s

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Charmain, you are a freedwoman of Rome. You previously belonged to a kindly master named Crementius, who acquired you as a child. He named you "Trophima" ("which means "educated; nourished," but through association with a famous Trophimus has come to signify: "foster-child") because he was so charmed by you that he decided to adopt you and make you his heir.

As a freedwoman, you took the feminine form of the name of your former master and foster father, adding your given name as your cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

Crementia Trophima

= crpanmiieotaeghtr -g +m

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

EricT, you are of the Aburii, a notable plebian gens which gave birth to at least one Tribune of the Plebs, in 187 B.C.E. (see Smith's).

You happen to belong to a branch of the Aburii that made its fortune in money lending, and so your cognomen is "Creditor".

Your praenomen is "Servius", abbreviated as "Ser." Your full Roman name is:

Ser. Aburius Creditor

= crhrideacbrrtrgioe -cghr +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Fascinating stuff!

Thanks for the welcome.

Elfers, you are a member of the Verii, a proud gens which claimed as one of its members a freedman -- Verius (alternately, Verrius) Flaccus, a historian, lexicographer, and poet, who also tutored the grandsons of Augustus Caesar.

However, your branch of the Verii constitute the black sheep of the family, as your cognomen of "Ater" literally means "black".

Your praenomen is "Kaeso", abbreviated as "K." Your full Roman name is:

K. Verius Ater

= kvkarteseir -k +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Hope I did this right ...

wngriymegiolldaeehrny

Kramer Victor!

G-Manicus, you are a member of the Menenia gens, "a very ancient and illustrious patrician house at Rome..."

Although Smith's states that the only recorded cognomen of the Menenii was "Lanatus", you actually possess the cognomen of "Gregariollus". This, however, was not your cognomen at birth, but rather was bestowed upon you as your childhood nickname, due to the fact that you played at being a stern little soldier while all your other playmates were busy pretending to be little senators. "Gregariollus", meaning "little soldier", comes from miles gregarius (an army term for a regular foot soldier).

Your praenomen is "Decimus", abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Menenius Gregariollus

= wngriymegiolldaeehrny -hwyy +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele