UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

G-Manicus, you are a member of the Menenia gens, "a very ancient and illustrious patrician house at Rome..."

Although Smith's states that the only recorded cognomen of the Menenii was "Lanatus", you actually possess the cognomen of "Gregariollus". This, however, was not your cognomen at birth, but rather was bestowed upon you as your childhood nickname, due to the fact that you played at being a stern little soldier while all your other playmates were busy pretending to be little senators. "Gregariollus", meaning "little soldier", comes from miles gregarius (an army term for a regular foot soldier).

Your praenomen is "Decimus", abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Menenius Gregariollus

= wngriymegiolldaeehrny -hwyy +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

That must be why the rest of the kids in my Youth Chariot League called me G Man! (Hopefully Mom and Pop have enough $ stashed away to get me into the Senate)

Thanks, Nephele!

Do you keep track of who is part of what tribe here?

No, but if you want to tally them all up, be my guest. :P

-- Nephele

No, but if you want to tally them all up, be my guest. :P

-- Nephele

*crickets chirp*

txs For your friendly welcome.

My name is Elenaoise ab Rhys.

Elena points to Helena ,the part oise (loise) lys Flower??.

The sirname ab Rhys "son of Rhys"

There propp is a Roman name hidden in it we had them for the better part of 300 years as overlords. :unsure:

Praebitorae, you are a freedwoman of Rome. Your former mistress was the notable woman orator, Hortensia: "Daughter of the orator Q. Hortensius. She partook of his eloquence, and spoke before the triumvirs in behalf of the wealthy matrons, when these were threatened with a special tax to defray the expenses of the war against Brutus and Cassius."

You admired and served your mistress well. For your reward she, freed you.

Your slave name was "Aesyle", meaning in Greek "elusive" -- which is also the name of one of the Hyades, the nymphs that were turned into stars that bring rain. As is customary in Rome, upon manumission you adopted the name of your mistress, adding your own name on as your cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

Hortensia Aesyle

= Elenaoise ab Rhys -b +t

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Praebitorae, you are a freedwoman of Rome. Your former mistress was the notable woman orator, Hortensia: "Daughter of the orator Q. Hortensius. She partook of his eloquence, and spoke before the triumvirs in behalf of the wealthy matrons, when these were threatened with a special tax to defray the expenses of the war against Brutus and Cassius."

You admired and served your mistress well. For your reward she, freed you.

Your slave name was "Aesyle", meaning in Greek "elusive" -- which is also the name of one of the Hyades, the nymphs that were turned into stars that bring rain. As is customary in Rome, upon manumission you adopted the name of your mistress, adding your own name on as your cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

Hortensia Aesyle

= Elenaoise ab Rhys -b +t

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Simply impressive I must say.<_<

Youre name Ni Phwll sutes you well , dau born of Phwll a famouce char in the Mabinogian.

Phwll (acording to the Red Book) once remarked he'd rather have daughters for the could sing bether then man .

This remark was a grave insult becourse the Welsh where esp proud of there qual. as singers Phwll however pointed out that he had misspelled and ment with "singing" actualy using once witt.

In Eng. Singing is often seen as blowing the whissele on someone in Welsh it is like humming seen as "thinking or considering"

Ni Phwll is as name not ore no longer in use but called such by older people from the North of Wales means to be called a woman who uses her brains well.

Simply impressive I must say.<_<

Youre name Ni Phwll sutes you well , dau born of Phwll a famouce char in the Mabinogian.

Phwll (acording to the Red Book) once remarked he'd rather have daughters for the could sing bether then man .

This remark was a grave insult becourse the Welsh where esp proud of there qual. as singers Phwll however pointed out that he had misspelled and ment with "singing" actualy using once witt.

In Eng. Singing is often seen as blowing the whissele on someone in Welsh it is like humming seen as "thinking or considering"

Ni Phwll is as name not ore no longer in use but called such by older people from the North of Wales means to be called a woman who uses her brains well.

Is "Ni Phwll" a Welsh equivalent of "Nephele"? Thank you! B)

-- Nephele

Manius Pontius, you are of the Trebonia gens which, while a plebian gens, "was of considerable antiquity, and gained distinction as early as B.C. 447."

Your cognomen is "Celer", meaning "swift", which describes you as being both swift of foot and swift of thought.

Your praenomen is "Gaius", which is more commonly abbreviated with a "C.", but because you are fond of innovation, you've taken to using that new letter "G." to abbreviate your praenomen. Your full Roman name is:

G. Trebonius Celer

= ciorlngrtykbeee -yk +us

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

oh no hes found the "font size" button.

Oh! dear! I didn't know that large font size was shouting. Thought that it was the color red. Shall mend my errant way.

Maybe the Lady Nephele will hear me.

I am sure that both of you will be interested in this: http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry71335

Oh! dear! I didn't know that large font size was shouting. Thought that it was the color red. Shall mend my errant way.

Maybe the Lady Nephele will hear me.

I hear you now. :lol: Sorry I haven't responded sooner. I've been working odd hours and I'm really wiped. Welcome "home", G.O.

-- Nephele