UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

Here you go "iilblbrtvwyodyeh" - see what you make of that. Thanks for the welcome btw

Agrippina of the Julii, you belong to the little-known gens of Vebidia, a mention of which can be found in the first volume of the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum. You go by a diminutive of your gens name: "Vebidiolla".

Your cognomen (or nickname) is "Thyrsa", indicating that you are a follower of the god Dionysius, as the thyrsus (a fennel staff entwined with ivy and topped with a pine cone) is carried in Dionysian celebrations.

Your full Roman name is:

Vebidiolla Thyrsa

= iilblbrtvwyodyeh -bwy +aas

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Joelius Chapmanicus, you are a member of the Caledii, and thereby related to that Caledius, a military commander in Roman Britain, who set up a shrine to the Goddess Fortuna (Balnearis). It would seem that the Goddess Fortuna is a significant deity for your family.

Your particular branch of the Caledii, however, are somewhat of the black sheep of the family -- or, rather, predatory wolves. Your cognomen of "Praedano" is derived from the Latin word praedo, meaning a "robber" or "pirate".

Your praenomen is "Marcus", abbreviated as "M." Your full Roman name is:

M. Caledius Praedano

= WOLCAMAEDJADPNRHE -jwh +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Mine is Cieonrn8ut9, hehe cool.

Hi, Centurion89! The idea is to scramble the letters of your actual name (first, middle, and last) -- not your screen name. I'm afraid I won't be able to get much out of "Centurion89" for you.

-- Nephele

Agrippina of the Julii, you belong to the little-known gens of Vebidia, a mention of which can be found in the first volume of the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum. You go by a diminutive of your gens name: "Vebidiolla".

Your cognomen (or nickname) is "Thyrsa", indicating that you are a follower of the god Dionysius, as the thyrsus (a fennel staff entwined with ivy and topped with a pine cone) is carried in Dionysian celebrations.

Your full Roman name is:

Vebidiolla Thyrsa

= iilblbrtvwyodyeh -bwy +aas

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Very interesting that and very appropriate considering all the permutations. Thank you I'll keep that one in mind.

Centurion89, you are descended from that stern Tribune of the Plebs, C. Orchius, who authored a sumtuaria lex -- a sumptuary law -- called the "Lex Orchia" in the year 181 BCE "that limited the number of guests that could be invited for various entertainments." (See Legal and Institutional Chronology of the Roman Republic.

Your cognomen of "Moderatus" (meaning "restrained, controlled") further emphasizes the no-nonsense character of your ancestors.

Your praenomen is "Publius", abbreviated as "P." Your full Roman name is:

P. Orchius Moderatus

= Rshritpoech Dmshoy -hhy +auu

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

RomanItaly -- male or female? :)

-- Nephele

RomanItaly, since I didn't hear back from you (are you still around?) regarding male or female, I'll assume you're male.

You are a member of the Grania gens. Although plebian, some of your family rose to senatorial rank under the Republic. (See Smith's.

Your cognomen of "Galio" suggests that your branch of the Granii won distinction from military service in Gaul. Your praenomen is "Aulus", abbreviated as "A." Your full Roman name is:

A. Granius Galio

= DoariAlnggaio -ao +us

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Okey Kokey, Nephele. My name doesn't have too many letters, but see what you can do with:

somcerabuk

And I'm (masculine cough) male.

GhostOfClayton, you have a very short Roman name:

Macrobeius

= somcerabuk -k +i

Your name is a variation of Macrobius, a name used by a 4th-5th century C.E. grammarian and philosopher.

Although your Roman name is short, Macrobeius (or Macrobius) means: "living long".

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele