UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

DDickey, you are related by gens to that same Marcus Laenius Flaccus who defied the edict of Clodius in 58 BCE and sheltered Cicero in his country-house near Brundisium.

Belonging to a different branch of the Laenii, you bear the cognomen of "Catonellus" -- a name that is a diminutive of "Catonianus", an adjective describing a person possessing the high principles of Cato.

Your praenomen is Decimus, abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Laenius Catonellus

= diadcenoleutkanlly -dky +uss

Welcome to UNRV! And, we're glad you found this site, too. :P

-- Nephele

Runi Likhik -Female

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

Jerikagoddess, you are a member of the Iulia gens (sometimes written "Julia"), one of the most ancient patrician gentes of Rome, which gave birth to Caesar, among other noted Romans.

Your nickname is "Rhina", as you were born in Germania, near the Rhine ("Rhenus") River, when your pregnant mother bravely decided to follow her military general husband on campaign, much in the same way that Agrippina followed Germanicus.

Your full Roman name is:

Iulia Rhina

= Runi Likhik -kk +aa

Welcome to UNRV!

Hi i am john,

i am studying ancient history and trying to help this website

Hello, John. If you'd like a "Hidden Roman Name" please provide a scramble of your actual first and last names. I ask people to scramble the letters in their names to protect their privacy.

Welcome to UNRV. I believe the help will be reciprocated. :)

-- Nephele

That's really cool! thanks!

Jerikagoddess, you are a member of the Iulia gens (sometimes written "Julia"), one of the most ancient patrician gentes of Rome, which gave birth to Caesar, among other noted Romans.

Your nickname is "Rhina", as you were born in Germania, near the Rhine ("Rhenus") River, when your pregnant mother bravely decided to follow her military general husband on campaign, much in the same way that Agrippina followed Germanicus.

Your full Roman name is:

Iulia Rhina

= Runi Likhik -kk +aa

Welcome to UNRV!

Julian the Faithful, you are a soldier and freedman of that Lucius Antonius who was the younger brother of the infamous Marcus Antonius who fought against Octavianus. Although much maligned by Cicero, your master had been elected Consul in 41 BCE, and his last known military appointment was the command of Iberia. As his freedman, you took his praenomen and nomen gentilicium (Lucius Antonius) for your own.

Your cognomen/nickname of Anemello indicates your origin from Cisalpine Gaul, as it is a diminutive of the name of the river Anemo that runs through the territory where you were born. You quickly rose from the status of slave, to freedman, to soldier while in the service of Lucius Antonius. Your full Roman name is:

L. Antonius Anemello

= namllotsleioanenn -n +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Could you also do hnazatsneuledeanugilrne as well. I am adopted, and am curious. What you created was for my adopted name. I am interested what my birth name will yield, given what my real name is! of course i cant tell you, but i will after.

Thanks again, this is awesome.

Could you also do hnazatsneuledeanugilrne as well. I am adopted, and am curious. What you created was for my adopted name. I am interested what my birth name will yield, given what my real name is! of course i cant tell you, but i will after.

Thanks again, this is awesome.

Thanks, JtF. Your second scramble is a big long to work with -- do you have a middle name included in that, that you can remove?

-- Nephele

Julian the Faithful, you are a member of the Herennia Gens, plebeians of Samnite origin who eventually became a Roman family of high rank.

Your cognomen of "Augendus" appears in the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum, and is derived from the gerund of the Latin verb augeo, signifying "increase", "expansion", "augmentation". Your praenomen is "Titus," abbreviated as "T." Your full Roman name is:

T. Herennius Augendus

= UdunregniZeaatnhes -az +us

If you prefer the praenomen "Aulus" over "Titus," then you can alternately be:

A. Herennius Augendus

= UdunregniZeaatnhes -tz +us

-- Nephele

mefufeecgagmn

My wife is now interested in her name, so this is for a female.

I can have her register if it is necessary. By the way, the second translation for me was awesome. My real name is Augustine, but I did not think it a family name, but I was curious if it would be used. Again thank you.

Julian the Faithful, your wife is a patrician, a member of the Genucia Gens, and as such her name is "Genucia".

Her cognomen is actually a nickname -- "Gemmae" -- meaning "jewels," given to her by her parents who cherish her as their treasure. Her full Roman name is:

Genucia Gemmae

= mefufeecgagmn -ff +ia

-- Nephele

I'm ready for MY Roman name. Gauis Hortensius Frutex says, "Happy Thanksgiving" by the way!

Ctirseanthherir

(I am female.)