UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Crispina, you are descended from the famous rhetorician Quintus Haterius, and so your name is "Hateria."

Your loving father gave you a special cognomen/nickname, however, to distinguish you from your sisters (also named "Hateria"). And so you are also known by the name of "Cerintha" -- a flower that is especially attractive to honeybees. (Pliny the Elder mentioned this flower in his Natural History.)

Your full Roman name is:

Hateria Cerintha

= Ctirseanthherir -rs +aa

Give my regards to Gauis Hortensius Frutex, and likewise wishing you both a cool T-Day.

-- Nephele

Brennos, you are distantly related to that senator, consul, and army commander named Marcus Hordeonius Flaccus, who was murdered by his own troops for unfortunately choosing to support an emperor who didn't meet with their approval.

Your branch of the Hordeonia gens, however, is surnamed "Aptus," due to an ancestor who showed exceptional aptitude and ability as befitting a Roman soldier (which probably aided in your family's survival during political times of upheaval).

Your praenomen is "Decimus," abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Hordeonius Aptus

= TddoJosehpFkasnr -fjk +iuu

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Sure. I'm a male. Here's my first and last name scrambled:

Ihjloevatastsip

and here's my whole name scrambled:

Rastalvjhiioaptlsee

Thanks!

Carbo, you are a member of the Poetilia Gens (most often appearing as "Poetelius" in inscriptions, but also appearing as "Poetilius") -- a plebeian gens, but one which has produced a number of magistrates, including consul.

Unlike your relations, you do not bear the common Poetilian/Poetelian cognomen of "Libo." Instead, your cognomen is "Hasta," having been given to you on the battlefield where, as a warrior skilled in the use of the spear known as the hasta, you received honors in addition to your cognomen/nickname.

Your praenomen is the somewhat rare "Vibius" (of Oscan origan) and abbreviated as "V." Your full Roman name is:

V. Poetilius Hasta

= Ihjloevatastsip -j +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I'm game to try this, and am male.

My first and last name scrambled: jeanuenbirnrtm

My full name scrambled: nnjrrhejanouibnmet

Could we also include one for my wife?

First/Last: noflizhteeibagelh

Full: inzthlaigeeoebfhleneer

Thanks,

-RI.

Rugged Indoorsman, you are a descendent of Ennius, the poet who was reverently considered by the ancient Romans to have been the parent of their literature. Your worthy ancestor was born in a Calabrian village and was brought to Rome by M. Porcius Cato (the Elder), and thus as Ennius' descendent you were born in Rome.

You received the cognomen/nickname of "Arbiter," due to your peers having recognized you as a judge of fine things (with Ennius as an ancestor, you ought to be!) and, with amusement, they bestowed this name upon you.

Your praenomen is "Marcus," abbreviated as "M." Your full Roman name is:

M. Ennius Arbiter

= jeanuenbirnrtm -jn +is

I'll be back later with your lady's name. Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Rugged Indoorsman, your wife is a member of the Hostilia Gens, an old family which dates back to Rome's Regal period.

Her cognomen of "Hebenella" is a feminine diminutive of her father's cognomen of "Hebenus," meaning "ebony tree." An unusual cognomen for a Hostilian, but perhaps suggesting an exotic nature to this particular branch of the Hostilii.

Her full Roman name is:

Hostilia Hebenella

= noflizhteeibagelh -fgz +als

-- Nephele

Eeelanum Mtoatanas

Here is my first and last name scrambled.

Can you try to take out some Roman name for me?

Eeelanum Mtoatanas

Here is my first and last name scrambled.

Can you try to take out some Roman name for me?

Oh, I forgot: I'm male.

joyfulpuck, you were a slave from Britannia, originally named "Matugenus," in the service of a Roman citizen named Aelius Annaeus.

Upon becoming the freedman of Annaeus, you took his praenomen ("Aelius," abbreviated "AEL") and his nomen gentilicium ("Annaeus") for your own. You then added an adaptation of your slave name ("Matutio") as your cognomen. (According to Kajanto, the Celtic cognomen of "Matutio" is found in the Corpus Inscriptionum Latinarum (XIII, 570), and is comparable to Matugenus.)

Your full Roman name is:

AEL Annaeus Matutio

= Eeelanum Mtoatanas -em +iu

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Bill, you are a member of the Mallia Gens, a humble plebeian gens which had but one consul to claim as its own -- Cn. Mallius Maximus (105 BCE). It is the expectation of the Mallii that you rise to fame someday, and do the family proud.

Your cognomen is "Cinna," indicating that curly hair runs in your family. Your praenomen of "Decimus" is abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Mallius Cinna

= MdcialiLwnuan -w +s

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Thank you nephele!

It's a very beautiful name, and I'd ever like been a Britannus.

So, Ave Domina, Aelio Matutio te salutat.

Hemmm...only a little problem:

how can I do for insert this new name in my profile?

I'll search on the site if i find the answer.

Thank you nephele!

It's a very beautiful name, and I'd ever like been a Britannus.

So, Ave Domina, Aelio Matutio te salutat.

Hemmm...only a little problem:

how can I do for insert this new name in my profile?

I'll search on the site if i find the answer.

You're welcome, joyfulpuck. I see you figured out how the profile thingy works. :)

-- Nephele