UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Yukius, you are a freedwoman of the consul of 454 BCE, Aulus Aeternius Varus Fontinalis. As was customary in Rome, upon obtaining your freedom you took for your own name the nomen gentilicium of your former master, in the feminine form: Aeternia.

You kept your original Greek name as your cognomen: Dyna (which means "power; strength"). Your full Roman name is:

Aeternia Dyna

= itenyeanwnrd -nw +aa

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Thanks for your message.

I'll go along with the hidden Roman name.

Here is my scrambled name: RtjnoabROaernao

Its my first, middle initial, last name.

Thanks.

Thanks for your message.

I'll go along with the hidden Roman name.

Here is my scrambled name: RtjnoabROaernao

Its my first, middle initial, last name.

Thanks.

RomaSupremum, male or female? ;)

-- Nephele

shmehipaehmeltittnlceewas

A little long? I'd love to see the results!

shmehipaehmeltittnlceewas

A little long? I'd love to see the results!

Yep, that's a little long, Fulvia. :rolleyes: Could you please remove the middle names (I'm guessing you've included more than one middle name in there). Ancient Roman ladies didn't have quite such elaborate names, so less is more. And, I'm presuming you're female -- right? You didn't say.

-- Nephele

RomaSupremum, since you didn't say whether you were male or female, I'll just presume that you're male and give you a masculine name. If I'm wrong, you'll have to let me know.

You are a member of the Arrenii, a gens which produced two Tribunes of the Plebs (the brothers Caius and Lucius) in the same year of 210 BCE. They were noted for having opposed the election of Q. Fulvius Flaccus to the consulship of 209 (see Livy, 27.6).

Your cognomen of "Barano" is a derivative of "Baro" (meaning "rather blunt"). Your praenomen is "Titus", customarily abbreviated as "T." Your full Roman name is:

T. Arrenius Barano

= RtjnoabROaernao -joo +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Alphaeus of Gadara, you are a member of the Maelia gens, "the richest plebeian gens of the equestrian order."

Your cognomen of "Alendus" (meaning "worthy of nourishment"), suggests that the mother of an ancestor of your branch of the Maelii had died in childbirth, and the child was deemed too worthy to let die.

Your praenomen is "Publius," customarily abbreviated as "P." Your full Roman name is:

P. Maelius Alendus

= adulelnamsapied -ad +us

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Oh, I did forget to mention gender!. ooops :rolleyes: I am indeed female. How about this nice shorter version: shewapiethtnetams

Much better, Fulvia -- thanks!

You are a freedwoman of Rome, formerly a Greek slave in the household of Lucius Anthestius Germanus, a wealthy equestrian in the palm and olive business.

You used to work for your master pressing olives into oil (a skill you had learned in your homeland of Greece). Upon obtaining your freedom, you took your former master's nomen gentilicium (in the feminine form) as was customary, thus giving you the Roman name of "Anthestia". You kept your original Greek name of "Thespeia" (meaning "inspired by the gods") as your cognomen (also, as was customary).

Your full Roman name is:

Anthestia Thespeia

= shewapiethtnetams -wm +ia

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Johannes Landi Gravis, you are a member of the Herennia gens, a plebeian family of rank that was originally Samnite "and by the Samnite invasion became established in Campania."

Your cognomen of "Oriens" literally means "rising," and figuratively refers to the morning sun and the east. Your praenomen is "Decimus", customarily abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Herennius Oriens

= hnajdorirenesens -ja +iu

Can you give me a shorter version of your lady's name? Perhaps minus the middle name?

-- Nephele

Much better, Fulvia -- thanks!

You are a freedwoman of Rome, formerly a Greek slave in the household of Lucius Anthestius Germanus, a wealthy equestrian in the palm and olive business.

You used to work for your master pressing olives into oil (a skill you had learned in your homeland of Greece). Upon obtaining your freedom, you took your former master's nomen gentilicium (in the feminine form) as was customary, thus giving you the Roman name of "Anthestia". You kept your original Greek name of "Thespeia" (meaning "inspired by the gods") as your cognomen (also, as was customary).

Your full Roman name is:

Anthestia Thespeia

= shewapiethtnetams -wm +ia

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Awesome! Not exactly noble, but fun! Thanks for the official welcome. :D

Johannes Landi Gravis, you are a member of the Herennia gens, a plebeian family of rank that was originally Samnite "and by the Samnite invasion became established in Campania."

Your cognomen of "Oriens" literally means "rising," and figuratively refers to the morning sun and the east. Your praenomen is "Decimus", customarily abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Herennius Oriens

= hnajdorirenesens -ja +iu

Can you give me a shorter version of your lady's name? Perhaps minus the middle name?

-- Nephele

That should be this:

eisgrsedrhcpi