UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Johannes Landi Gravis, your lady wife is a patrician, a member of the Sergia gens. Her feminine cognomen which identifies her from her sisters is "Sardica", given to her by her father because she was born in Sardinia when the family was visiting one of their many estates.

Sergia Sardica

= eisgrsedrhcpi -ehp +aaa

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

aahbmzioclresjlleaemalphlhrs- full scramble for all names

lemrhlzaealicb- the same, for only my first and last

Thanks, if you can make rhyme or reason of that.

Romulus Ganon, you are a member of the Aemilia gens, one of the most ancient patrician houses at Rome.

Your cognomen of "Lacer" (meaning "wounded; lacerated") was earned by you on the battlefield and you proudly bear it today, along with your battle scars.

Your praenomen of "Lucius" is customarily abbreviated as "L." Your full Roman name is:

L. Aemilius Lacer

= lemrhlzaealicb -bhz +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

SPQR, you are a member of the Roscia gens -- a plebeian family "of considerable antiquity" which rose to some prominence by the time of the emperors.

Your cognomen of Aper (meaning "wild boar") indicates that your ancestors (and perhaps you, too) proudly served in Rome's Legio XX (20th Legion) which proudly carried the emblem of the wild boar, symbolizing their strength, valor, and ferocity.

Your praenomen is Numerius, customarily abbreviated as "N." Your full Roman name is:

N. Roscius Aper

= Cosknaj Rerpy -jky +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

Thanx for the offer - hahsarlsaisktate ;female

Minerva, you are a freedwoman. Your former master was Publius Satureius, a Tribune of the Plebs in 133 BCE. An impetuous man, he was noted by the historian Plutarch (Lives: Tiberius Gracchus, 19.6) for having been the first to strike Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus (assassinated in the Forum by his fellow senators). Satureius smote the unfortunate Gracchus on the head with the leg of a bench.

Upon his own deathbed years later, Publius Satureius decreed that a number of his loyal servants be set free, you being among them. As was customary, you took the name of your former master (in the feminine form), and thus your Roman name became Satureia. For your cognomen, you retained your original Greek slave name of Thalassa (meaning "the sea").

Your full Roman name is:

Satureia Thalassa

= hahsarlsaisktate -hk +au

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Minerva, you are a freedwoman. Your former master was Publius Satureius, a Tribune of the Plebs in 133 BCE. An impetuous man, he was noted by the historian Plutarch (Lives: Tiberius Gracchus, 19.6) for having been the first to strike Tiberius Sempronius Gracchus (assassinated in the Forum by his fellow senators). Satureius smote the unfortunate Gracchus on the head with the leg of a bench.

Upon his own deathbed years later, Publius Satureius decreed that a number of his loyal servants be set free, you being among them. As was customary, you took the name of your former master (in the feminine form), and thus your Roman name became Satureia. For your cognomen, you retained your original Greek slave name of Thalassa (meaning "the sea").

Your full Roman name is:

Satureia Thalassa

= hahsarlsaisktate -hk +au

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Thank you Lady N. and for the bit about who realy deal Gracchusthe death blow. I only knew that Scipio Narssica led the assualt and always wonderd whether he'd killed his cousin himself.

Edited by Minerva

It took me a while but I got here =P

Hi, Zanatos. Getting here is only half of it. You now have to provide me with a scramble of your name, which I will anagram into your "Hidden Roman Name." :)

Minerva, you're very welcome -- glad you enjoyed!

-- Nephele

Zanatos, you are a member of the Atia gens. While of plebeian rank and although none of your family ever rose to consulship, your familiy's connections with the maternal side of the family of the emperor Augustus has profited you throughout life.

Your cognomen (which you acquired as a youth from your peers while studying abroad in Greece) is "Ater", meaning "dark; black". This name also denotes a gloomy or somber disposition -- for as a Roman youth you were more serious than your peers when it came to your studies.

Your praenomen is "Gnaeus", customarily abbreviated as "Cn". Your full Roman name is:

Cn. Atius Ater

= Chartienrst -hr +au

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Hi Nephele,

my complet name scrambled gives ejunstrnoskeoateusomr, or only my frist and last names scrambled gives ntsoesukj.

Thanks,

Ze.

Ze Knust, you are a member of the Menenia gens, a very ancient and illustrious patrician house at Rome. You have the rare praenomen of "Kaeso".

You are somewhat of a rebel in your patrician family -- wanting to make your own way in the world rather than live off the wealth of your family's landholdings. And so you took up a trade -- and became proficient at masonry and carpentry. Thus you were given the cognomen of "Structor" by your puzzled patrician family.

Your full Roman name is:

Kaeso Menenius Structor

= ejunstrnoskeoateusomr -jo +ic

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

You are somewhat of a rebel in your patrician family -- wanting to make your own way in the world rather than live off the wealth of your family's landholdings. And so you took up a trade -- and became proficient at masonry and carpentry. Thus you were given the cognomen of "Structor" by your puzzled patrician family.

Oww!

It sounds good for me!

Thank you again, Nephele!