UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Thanks for the C/G explanation.

Yeah, I don't believe I mentioned my work to Ursus before either ;-)

So, now I am fascinated and would love to learn more about "my" gens!

Viking (like Sosigenes, here), you are a member of the Mallia gens -- a plebeian gens that, despite having been of no celebrity, nevertheless produced a consul in the year 105 BCE (Cn. Mallius Maximus).

Your cognomen is "Beatus," signifying that your branch of the Mallii was blessed by the gods.

Your praenomen is "Titus," customarily abbreviated as "T." Your full Roman name is:

T. Mallius Beatus

= estalmdlwtbuia -dw +us

Or, if you prefer the praenomen of "Decimus" instead of "Titus," you could just as easily be:

D. Mallius Beatus

= estalmdlwtbuia -tw +us

-- Nephele

Great! Thanks!

manekenpix, you are a member of the Cossinia gens, a Roman family which came from Tibur. While none of the members of your gens ever obtained any of the higher offices of the state, one member -- your father, Lucius Cossinius -- was particularly notable for having been a dear friend of Cicero's. Your father died in 45 BCE, and Cicero took a personal interest in your education and political career (until his own death two years later).

Your cognomen is "Mento," given to you by your peers due to the fact that you have a remarkably large chin.

Your praenomen is "Aulus," customarily abbreviated as "A." Your full Roman name is:

A. Cossinius Mento

= osnismiatofenhc -fh +us

You also asked for a female name. If you were a Roman maiden, you would be a member of the Cominia gens, making you related to the dear Cominia Tyche, whose funerary altar can be found in New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art:

100_0845.jpg

Your cognomen of "Fessonia" indicates that your parents honored the goddess Fessonia in naming you. Fessonia is the Roman goddess who aids the weary. Your full Roman name would be:

Cominia Fessonia

= osnismiatofenhc -th +ia

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

wizofboz, you are a member of the Helvia gens. Yours is a plebeian gens that produced an emperor -- Publius Helvius Pertinax -- who reigned for a mere 86 days (from December 31, 192 until March 28, 193 when he was assassinated by his Praetorian Guard).

Your cognomen of "Probatior" indicates that your peers considered you to have been proven good, acceptable, and they nicknamed you thus. With such a stamp of approval, you are most likely safe from sharing the fate of your imperial relative, Pertinax.

Your praenomen is "Publius" (just like Pertinax's), and customarily abbreviated as "P." Your full Roman name is:

P. Helvius Probatior

= iltozopbraehbzirp -bzz +vus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Titus Pinarius Natta, you already have a fine Roman name. But here is your hidden Roman name:

You are a member of the Maecia gens, a plebeian gens, whose only notable member during the time of the Republic was Sp. Maecius Tarpa, a contemporary of Cicero. By the time of the Empire, however, the Maecii had become much more distinguished.

Your cognomen of "Merulicus" indicates that the blackbird has some special significance for your and/or your family.

Your praenomen is "Gaius," customarily abbreviated as "C." Your full Roman name is:

C. Maecius Merulicus

= ERELMICAUGHCMICHH -ghhh +usus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

First/Middle/Last: esfaeaaspolnjidnr

First/Last: iflnsoapaedsr

I am female. :) Looking forward to seeing what my Roman name is! :)

LadyJemima, you are a member of the Seia gens, which gave birth to both the famous (Marcus Seius, an equestrian who "distinguished himself by his largesses to the people in his curule aedileship") and the infamous (L. Aelius Sejanus, the ambitious manipulator of the emperor Tiberius).

Your parents lovingly gave your the nickname/cognomen of "Splendora," meaning "shining; brilliant; splendid," and this is the name by which you are known among your peers.

Your full Roman name is:

Seia Splendora

= iflnsoapaedsr -f +e

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Thank you, Nephele! What does your name mean? It's very lovely.

Could I ask how "Seia" is pronounced?

Thank you, Nephele! What does your name mean? It's very lovely.

Could I ask how "Seia" is pronounced?

You're very welcome, LadyJemima.

"Nephele" is a Greek name meaning "cloud; mist," and the Nephelae were nymphs of clouds and rain.

I tend to pronounce "Seia" as "Say-ah."

-- Nephele

iloynehtmlta

hope it works

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

iloynehtmlta

hope it works

Hi, Ashlon. Male or female?

-- Nephele