UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Nero, your name can be anagrammed directly into a Roman name, without the use of blanagramming. You are a member of the Poetelii, a gens which gave birth to six consuls in the 5th and 4th centuries BCE of the Roman Republic.

Your cognomen of "Vemens" means "violent; vehement," attesting to the impetuous nature of your ancestors (and perhaps even your own nature).

Your praenomen is "Lar," a rare praenomen of Etruscan origin, believed to mean "Lord."

Your full Roman name is:

Lar Poetelius Vemens

= ueemeevoarslniptsl

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Hi Nephele,

Thank you for the warm welcome to UNRV. This is my scrambled name: tiarce vtesa brcuh I am curious to see what you come up with.

Vipsania

Vipsania, you are a freedwoman, your slave name having been "Tyche" (meaning "luck" in Greek). And a lucky slave you were, for your master, the distinguished consul (of 101 C.E.) Gaius Rubrius Gallus, was kind to you and gave you your freedom while you were still young.

As was customary, you took the nomen gentilicium of your former master (in the feminine form) for your own name, while retaining your Greek name as your cognomen. Thus, your full Roman name as a freedwoman is:

Rubria Tyche

= tiarce brcuh -c +y

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Salve,

Here is my scrambled names (and I am Male):

First/Last: crchelaionills

First/Middle/Last: ceasorlhmasllceji

Vale,

Quintus Servilius Priscus

Curator, Societas Via Romana

Charlie Collins, you are descended from that eminent Roman jurist, A. Cascellius, "a man of stern republican principles."

Your cognomen is "Melior," meaning "better; a better man," suggesting that you may be an improved version of the original Cascellius.

Your praenomen is "Aulus," the same as that of the original Cascellius, customarily abbreviated as "A." Your full Roman name is:

A. Cascellius Melior

= ceasorlhmasllceji -jh +iu

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

P.S. It looks as though you may have left an "n" out of your scramble.

Hello Nephele,

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's good to be here even if only as a humble serva (hmpf!).

I have a very long surname (no middle names though, thank God) so here goes a shortened version:

pcnbiiaractorairo (comprising first name and first family name)

I am a Latin girl in real life so there are lots of i's and a's in my name for you to work with. :D

Ciao

Aurelia

Aurelia, being a Latin girl has its advantages -- I didn't have to tweak your name scramble with a blanagram. I was able to get a Roman name for you as a direct anagram of your name scramble.

You were born into the Cartoria gens -- an uncommon gens name which has been recorded through the names of slaves that had been sold into the imperial house and who later gained their freedom (presumably their patron was a Roman citizen named C. Cartorius). (Rawson, Beryl. "Family Life among the Lower Classes at Rome in the First Two Centuries of the Empire." Classical Philology. April, 1966.)

Your cognomen is "Probicina," meaning "upright, honest, sincere." Your full Roman name is:

Cartoria Probicina

= pcnbiiaractorairo

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Aurelia, being a Latin girl has its advantages -- I didn't have to tweak your name scramble with a blanagram. I was able to get a Roman name for you as a direct anagram of your name scramble.

You were born into the Cartoria gens -- an uncommon gens name which has been recorded through the names of slaves that had been sold into the imperial house and who later gained their freedom (presumably their patron was a Roman citizen named C. Cartorius). (Rawson, Beryl. "Family Life among the Lower Classes at Rome in the First Two Centuries of the Empire." Classical Philology. April, 1966.)

Your cognomen is "Probicina," meaning "upright, honest, sincere." Your full Roman name is:

Cartoria Probicina

= pcnbiiaractorairo

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Well, thanks Nephele! I have a confession to make though....mmmm..... in reality I come from a Patrician family but I am here in disguise. You see, I like to experience life to the full and if this means living dangerously at times, so be it. I have always been curious as to how the less privileged live so what better way to assume the identity of a slave. So your tale about Cartoria Probicina will be very useful until I decide it is time to reveal my true identity... :thumbsup:

Well, thanks Nephele! I have a confession to make though....mmmm..... in reality I come from a Patrician family but I am here in disguise. You see, I like to experience life to the full and if this means living dangerously at times, so be it. I have always been curious as to how the less privileged live so what better way to assume the identity of a slave. So your tale about Cartoria Probicina will be very useful until I decide it is time to reveal my true identity... :thumbsup:

A-ha! I suspected as much, my lady!

-- Nephele

Hi!,

Thanks for your welcome.

My scrambled name is: acryeebmltakect

There you go, see what you can do with that!x

Edited by aemilianus

aemilianus, you are a freedwoman who was once the slave of a Roman named Mercatius, but upon being given your freedom you took the gens name of your former master for your own name.

You retained your Greek slave name of "Eclecta" (meaning "chosen" -- for you were chosen above all others) as your cognomen (according to custom). Your full Roman name is:

Mercatia Eclecta

= acryeebmltakect -bky +aci

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

S.P.Q.R., you are a member of the Aemilii, one of the most ancient patrician houses at Rome. Your cognomen is "Liber," meaning "free." Your praenomen is "Gnaeus," customarily abbreviated as "Cn." Your full Roman name is:

Cn. Aemilius Liber

= Ilalwim Jkneirbe -kwj +cus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

S.P.Q.R., you are a member of the Aemilii, one of the most ancient patrician houses at Rome. Your cognomen is "Liber," meaning "free." Your praenomen is "Gnaeus," customarily abbreviated as "Cn." Your full Roman name is:

Cn. Aemilius Liber

= Ilalwim Jkneirbe -kwj +cus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I like it! Thanks!

I have a question for you: I've noticed that the spelling of certain Roman names in history books tends to differ from author to author. 2 that i've noticed are Gaius/Caius and Gnaeus/Cnaeus. Why is it that these names are sometimes spelled with a C and sometimes with a G, even when author's are referring to the same person?