UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

I like it! Thanks!

You're very welcome! Thanks for letting me 'gram you! ;)

I have a question for you: I've noticed that the spelling of certain Roman names in history books tends to differ from author to author. 2 that i've noticed are Gaius/Caius and Gnaeus/Cnaeus. Why is it that these names are sometimes spelled with a C and sometimes with a G, even when author's are referring to the same person?

Ah, the perennial Gaius/Caius Gnaeus/Cnaeus question! I think that someday we're going to have to put the answer to that in a UNRV FAQ. For the meantime, this link should help you out:

http://www.unrv.com/forum/index.php?showto...amp;#entry61598

-- Nephele

Aurelia, in celebration of your first UNRV published article (Plautus - adapting New Comedy for the Roman stage), I've decided to give you an anagrammed Roman name do-over.

You are the well-educated daughter of Publius Orbius, a Roman jurist and near contemporary of Cicero. Cicero spoke highly of your father in his Brutus, or History of Famous Orators, stating that your father's skill in the Civil Law was equal to that of his teacher, the great advocate Titus Juventius.

Your cognomen of "Capricornita" means "little Capricorn." This is an affectionate nickname bestowed upon you by your father, as you were born under the astrological sign of Capricorn.

Your full Roman name is:

Orbia Capricornita

= pcnbiiaractorairo

-- Nephele

Nephele,

Please can you do mine?

Name: niav

Name, midletter and Surname: niavslivapocv

Tough one, no doubt. But I believe you'll manage :)

Thanks

Ivanvs, your name was quite easy, in fact. You get a true blanagram (substituting only one letter of your name for another).

You are a member of the Livia gens, "plebeian, but one of the most illustrious houses among the Roman nobility. Suetonius says (Tib. 3) that the Livii had obtained eight consulships, two censorships, three triumphs, a dictatorship, and a mastership of the horse."

Your cognomen is "Pavano," derived from pavo, meaning "peacock." This was the sacred bird of the goddess Juno, and so Juno watches over your particular family branch of the Livii. Many brightly colored floor mosaics in your country villa depict images of peacocks, as well.

An alternate meaning of your cognomen "Pavano" might be that your branch of the Livii hails from the city of Patavium, founded by Antenor of Troy and mentioned in Book I of Virgil's Aeneid:

Antenor, from the midst of Grecian hosts,

Could pass secure, and pierce th' Illyrian coasts,

Where, rolling down the steep, Timavus raves

And thro' nine channels disembogues his waves.

At length he founded Padua's happy seat,

And gave his Trojans a secure retreat;

-- trans. John Dryden

Today, the city of Patavium is known as Padua.

Your praenomen is "Gaius," customarily abbreviated as "C." Your full Roman name is:

C. Livius Pavano

niavslivapocv -v +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Aurelia, in celebration of your first UNRV published article (Plautus - adapting New Comedy for the Roman stage), I've decided to give you an anagrammed Roman name do-over.

You are the well-educated daughter of Publius Orbius, a Roman jurist and near contemporary of Cicero. Cicero spoke highly of your father in his Brutus, or History of Famous Orators, stating that your father's skill in the Civil Law was equal to that of his teacher, the great advocate Titus Juventius.

Your cognomen of "Capricornita" means "little Capricorn." This is an affectionate nickname bestowed upon you by your father, as you were born under the astrological sign of Capricorn.

Your full Roman name is:

Orbia Capricornita

= pcnbiiaractorairo

-- Nephele

Thanks, Nephele! I told you I belonged to a noble family. :)

Salve Nephele,

So, I am looking forward to what you can come up with for me. (And although it is a bit out of my age range, I wouldn't mind a good goth pseudonym too.

eydurmeiherrrfgeepnia

I have only read through a couple of your posts, but I am already a fan. And thanks for ridding me of that nagging headache that has been bothering me for years about the deal with the Caius / Gaius and Cnaeus / Gnaeus question.

Vale Optime !

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

I know this sort of comment is normally reserved for the introduction thread so sorry to be invading your territory, Nephele. ;)

I just wanted to say howdy neighbour! It's good to see another Belgian joining, even if you're from the far away city of Antverpia. :lol:

Edited by Aurelia

Formosus Viriustus, you are a member of the Nerii, a gens of Umbrian origin whose nomen gentilicium was derived from the ancient Sabine name "Nero," meaning "strong and valiant."

Your cognomen of "Mergus" means "seabird; gull," and is most likely a metonymic name indicating that your particular branch of the Nerii made their fortune from the sea.

While serving in Rome's military, you earned for yourself the agnomen of "Harpifer." This was due to your fearsome skill with the harpe, a wicked, sickle-shaped sword that was said to have been the weapon used by Perseus when he decapitated Medusa.

Your praenomen is "Decimus," customarily abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Nerius Mergus Harpifer

= eydurmeiherrrfgeepnia -yee +uss

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

P.S. I'll work on a gothic name for you and get back to you. ;)

I am new to the UNRV forum which I got to know by way of L. Ovidius Ursus over at Societas Via Romana.

Hello, again, Formosus. Glad you stopped by!

Over here I am just known as Ursus. At UNRV we don't require a full tria nomina .. although we certainly don't have anything against them either. :)

Feel free to jump into the conversations.

Vale!

Thanks for the new name, Nephele.

It's the kind of name that has to grow on you, I guess.

So I'll stick with the Formosus Viriustus one for a while.

But I do like the Harpifer bit quite a lot. There's nothing I like better than chopping off gladiatrixes' heads. (Just kidding, Medusa :D ) Maybe I could add that part to my name ? Or would that be cheating ?

Well, I have my black mascara and my spikey collar on and now I'm just waiting for an appropriate name to go out clubbing. :)

Well, I have my black mascara and my spikey collar on and now I'm just waiting for an appropriate name to go out clubbing. :)

Formosus Viriustus, your goth anagram alias was a tough one. Here you go:

Herr Demiurge Painefyre

= Fred Pierre Marie Huygen

Hail to you, o dark one!

And here's a goofy, Asterix-style alias for you, anagrammed from your screen name:

S. Furious Stormius V (Spurius Furious Stormius the Fifth)

= Formosus Viriustus

:D

-- Nephele

Gratias Nephele,

Those are great.

Now just let me get my dog leash and my winged helmet, and I'm off. :)

And I fear the anagram bug is contagious.

Here's the best I could come up with. It's a bit of an hybrid and I have a handful of letters left.

Eery Edmund Harpifer.

And here is a nice word I came across that I didn't know : 'Mundungus' (foul-smelling tobacco) . I am a chain smoker. Couldn't quite make it fit alas.

Vale Optime !

And here is a nice word I came across that I didn't know : 'Mundungus' (foul-smelling tobacco) .

Ooo, I like that word! I'm adding it to my collection of neat-o words!

Mundungus! Hahaha!

-- Nephele