UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

mannagen, you are a member of the Hoenii, a gens to which belonged the consul of 141 C.E., T. Hoenius Severus.

Your own cognomen, however, is "Maro" -- a cognomen of Umbrian origin that was also shared by the poet Virgil. Your cognomen is derived from the title of the Umbrian magistrates (marones) who were in charge of public works.

Your praenomen is "Decimus," customarily abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Hoenius Maro

= rooadhmdgyne -agy +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Okay, here goes... it's rather short, so probably more difficult to work with.

ionbicannrt

male

400BC, you are a member of the Annii, a plebeian gens of considerable antiquity. "The first person of this name whom Livy mentions, is the Latin praetor L. Annius of Setia, a Roman colony. (B.C. 340.)"

Your cognomen is "Tiro," a word indicating a young soldier, or recruit. Although it has been many years since you were recruited into the Roman army, your fellow soldiers have always affectionately called you "Tiro" (because you joined the army at a very young age), and so the name has stuck.

Your praenomen is "Gaius," customarily abbreviated as "C." Your full Roman name is:

C. Annius Tiro

= ionbicannrt -bn +us

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

400BC, you are a member of the Annii, a plebeian gens of considerable antiquity. "The first person of this name whom Livy mentions, is the Latin praetor L. Annius of Setia, a Roman colony. (B.C. 340.)"

Thank you, that is very nice. You even managed to find a 'relative' from the fourth Century B.C., which is where I concentrate my interests.

Gaius Tiro of the Annii it is, then.

mannagen, you are a member of the Hoenii, a gens to which belonged the consul of 141 C.E., T. Hoenius Severus.

Your own cognomen, however, is "Maro" -- a cognomen of Umbrian origin that was also shared by the poet Virgil. Your cognomen is derived from the title of the Umbrian magistrates (marones) who were in charge of public works.

Your praenomen is "Decimus," customarily abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Hoenius Maro

= rooadhmdgyne -agy +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Thanks I appreciate. Awesome to see a name associated with Virgil come out of that.

Jess, you are the daughter of the noble Marcus Caesonius, a colleague of Cicero who also served in the magisterial position of Aedile of the Plebs along with Cicero in the year 69 BCE. Three years later (in 66 BCE) your father was elected to the higher office of Praetor, and three years after that (in 63 BCE) your father was a competitor for the highest office of Consul (although he did not win that office).

In addition to being customarily named for the gens of your father, your father has bestowed upon you the cognomen of "Glorina," an affectionate diminutive of gloria -- for your are his pride and glory.

Your full Roman name is:

Caesonia Glorina

roajoscnsenhigl -hjs +aai

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

thankyou for findinding myname out!!! would i have any living relives? ( like flavia from Romam myisties?) and how can i send then a message on here?

Caesonia Glorina

PS could i please learn to write and read in Latian on here?

PPS would i be able to use 'Caesonia' for Jessica too or just Jess? and do they do there middle names or just their first and last names?

thankyou for findinding myname out!!! would i have any living relives? ( like flavia from Romam myisties?) and how can i send then a message on here?

You're very welcome. As for Caesonia's living relatives... You'll have to use your imagination (like author Caroline Lawrence) and invent some! ;)

PS could i please learn to write and read in Latian on here?

No, but you might like to check out The Cambridge Latin Course

PPS would i be able to use 'Caesonia' for Jessica too or just Jess? and do they do there middle names or just their first and last names?

The ancient Romans didn't have middle names the same way that we have today. Even a Roman "last name" -- or cognomen -- was not quite the same as our modern-day last names, in that cognomina could be given names as well as hereditary names.

-- Nephele

Salvete Omnes !

'Publius Cornelius Lentulus Sphincter' ? Really now, Nephele ... grow up girl !

Seriously. I read your essays on Roman names and liked them very much. Interesting to learn how the customs regarding the use of names changed over time and reflected other changes in the social structure. Well worth reading.

http://www.unrv.com/culture/roman-naming-practices.php

http://www.unrv.com/culture/surnames-of-the-julii.php

http://www.unrv.com/culture/surnames-of-the-cornelii.php

http://www.unrv.com/culture/surnames-of-the-sempronii.php

You wrote : '... it was not unusual or bizarre to find two brothers of the same family bearing the same first name, as in the case of the sons of the emperor Vespasianus, who were both given the praenomen of "Titus".'

Indeed it is not. Louis XVI and Louis XVIII were brothers. Louis XVI had two sons, both called Louis (one being the unfortunate Louis XVII, who never reigned). There are more examples of this to be found within the French royal family, I belief. ( 'I see ! That's how they did it, the French ! 18. They cheated, they did !')

The Empress Maria Theresia had three sisters and eight daughters, all called Maria.

Johann S. Bach had a brother and three sons called Johann. Most, if not all, of the male Bach's from that line, for several generations had the first name Johann.

I'm not sure how widespread the custom exactly was but at least in some areas of Europe this was apparently not an uncommmon practice.

And then there is, of course, George Foreman who has four sons. All called .... George.

'Dinner's ready, George ! ... First wash your hands, George !' ... easy ...

Valete bene et nil desperandum,

Edited by Formosus Viriustus

Salvete Omnes !

'Publius Cornelius Lentulus Sphincter' ? Really now, Nephele ... grow up girl !

But... but... I'm only 2 years old!

Seriously. I read your essays on Roman names and liked them very much. Interesting to learn how the customs regarding the use of names changed over time and reflected other changes in the social structure. Well worth reading.

http://www.unrv.com/culture/roman-naming-practices.php

http://www.unrv.com/culture/surnames-of-the-julii.php

http://www.unrv.com/culture/surnames-of-the-cornelii.php

http://www.unrv.com/culture/surnames-of-the-sempronii.php

Thank you! :lol:

You wrote : '... it was not unusual or bizarre to find two brothers of the same family bearing the same first name, as in the case of the sons of the emperor Vespasianus, who were both given the praenomen of "Titus".'

Indeed it is not. Louis XVI and Louis XVIII were brothers. Louis XVI had two sons, both called Louis (one being the unfortunate Louis XVII, who never reigned). There are more examples of this to be found within the French royal family, I belief. ( 'I see ! That's how they did it, the French ! 18. They cheated, they did !')

The Empress Maria Theresia had three sisters and eight daughters, all called Maria.

Johann S. Bach had a brother and three sons called Johann. Most, if not all, of the male Bach's from that line, for several generations had the first name Johann.

I'm not sure how widespread the custom exactly was but at least in some areas of Europe this was apparently not an uncommmon practice.

And then there is, of course, George Foreman who has four sons. All called .... George.

'Dinner's ready, George ! ... First wash your hands, George !' ... easy ...

Haha!

Now, if you have another name for me to blanagram, I shall be happy to oblige. ;)

-- Nephele

Oh go on then.

oooieerthnvjloly

so you will straight away make that

oooieerthnviloli

Which is rather a lot of vowels, methinks.

So an 'o' is sure to become a 'u' for starters, right?

Just don't think you can Latinise me any more.

No offence.

I've seen your cities.

Forests of brick with stark white walls, streets and roads devoid of grass or trees.

Roof tiles that interlock like the shields of your legionaries.

I've seen how you shut out nature from your lives and let yourselves go soft

with underfloor heating and windows with glass!

Pah! Nothing wrong with a good roaring fire and a thatched roof.

Plenty of furs on a raised wooden platform and you've got everything you need.

There I've said my piece, what's my Latin name?

Oh I'm a 'wiros' or 'vir' in your language. Quite similar really.

How that turned into the word 'man' over the centuries is a mystery to me. :)

Oh I'm a 'wiros' or 'vir' in your language. Quite similar really.

How that turned into the word 'man' over the centuries is a mystery to me. :)

At least English still has wonderful words like "virile". ;)

Oh go on then.

oooieerthnvjloly

so you will straight away make that

oooieerthnviloli

Which is rather a lot of vowels, methinks.

So an 'o' is sure to become a 'u' for starters, right?

Not necessarily. :) The thing about blanagramming is to make the least amount of letter substitutions in order to produce the most likely Roman name. Which means that useless letters such as "j" and "y" must be swapped for absolutely essential letters, such as "u" and "s."

So, here you go...

You are a member of the Novellii, a gens which gave birth to Novellius Torquatus -- famous for his prodigious capacity for the consumption of wine.

Your own branch of the Novellii, however, tended more towards being tea-totalers, preferring instead to boast of a shared ancestry with the Emperor Otho. To promote this connection, your family adopted the cognomen of "Otho," a name of princely Etruscan origin which possibly means "horse" or "horseman" or "cavalier." (Isaac Taylor, Etruscan Researches, London: Macmillan & Co., 1874.)

Your praenomen is "Servius," customarily abbreviated as "Ser." Your full Roman name is:

Ser. Novellius Otho

= oooieerthnvjloly -joy +uss

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Excellent, now to go and get a fake Roman passport to corroborate my cover.

Ooops, what a give-away! :)