UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Toppers, you are a member of the Renia gens, "known to us only from coins" depicting the head of Pallas Athena and a chariot drawn by two goats.

Your cognomen is "Croto," derived from the name of a Greek colony (Croton) near the "toe" of Italy. It is likely that your ancestors came from this colony.

Your praenomen is "Caius" or "Gaius," customarily abbreviated with the letter "C." Your full Roman name is:

C. Renius Croto

= ctreoroeknec -eek +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Klreseoitarmhahehans

I am female.

Good luck.

Your scramble has too many letters. Could you remove your middle name? Thanks.

-- Nephele

Maximus Decimus Meridius, you are related to the praetor, Q. Arrius, who in 72 BCE defeated Crixus, the leader of the runaway slaves, but was afterwards conquered by Spartacus.

Had it been you instead of your cousin, you probably wouldn't have been conquered. For you come from a smarter branch of the Arrii, as indicated by your cognomen of "Cato," meaning "shrewd."

Your praenomen is "Numerius," customarily abbreviated as "N." Your full Roman name is:

N. Arrius Cato

= Conar-Ahirst -h +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I got the scrambled up letters of

knomepnrye

I am female...cant wait to see what name I get! =)

Thank you Nephele for this suggestion and for the welcome!

Rompe, you are a freedwoman -- the former slave girl of the quaestor Gnaeus Nerius (49 BCE). Nerius purchased you because he was impressed with your skill at tending to his prized horses, which responded to you almost as though you were a human incarnation of the Roman goddess of horses, Epona. In fact, Nerius named you "Epona" for that very reason.

When you were rewarded with your freedom by Nerius, you followed tradition by taking your former master's name (in the feminine form) as your own name, and adding your slave name of "Epona" as your cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

Neria Epona

= knomepnrye -kmy +aai

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Rompe, you are a freedwoman -- the former slave girl of the quaestor Gnaeus Nerius (49 BCE). Nerius purchased you because he was impressed with your skill at tending to his prized horses, which responded to you almost as though you were a human incarnation of the Roman goddess of horses, Epona. In fact, Nerius named you "Epona" for that very reason.

When you were rewarded with your freedom by Nerius, you followed tradition by taking your former master's name (in the feminine form) as your own name, and adding your slave name of "Epona" as your cognomen. Your full Roman name is:

Neria Epona

= knomepnrye -kmy +aai

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Thank you Nephele! This is MORE than intresting =) I have copied it down so I never forget this one. This fits me so well.

Epona (hehe)

Nephele - I just came across this thread. VERY cool. I just recently joined the forum and love having a place to go to share my excitement around Roman history.

But I'm sad...because I don't have a cool name like everyone else.

So here's my scrambled name: Jsona Air Obmglo

Here it is smooshed together into a single scramble: GlorsNmaIooajb

And I'm a dude. :-)

Do you need anything else?

Edited by JGolomb

Jgolomb, you belong to a gens that took so much pride in having come from the oldest Latin town

Nephele - thank you very much! I like it. :-)

Quick question...I understand what group I'm in: Plebes and how I rise in social standing by being more, well, social.

But what is the "Miles" designation? And how is that controlled?

Thanks

Jgolomb, you belong to a gens that took so much pride in having come from the oldest Latin town

Nephele - thank you very much! I like it. :-)

Quick question...I understand what group I'm in: Plebes and how I rise in social standing by being more, well, social.

But what is the "Miles" designation? And how is that controlled?

Thanks

You're very welcome JGolomb. As for your question regarding the "Miles" designation, that's merely a post count rank, and you'll find it change as your postings increase in number.

You'll find our UNRV Welcome and FAQ helpful:

Post Count Ranks

These are a conglomeration of military ranks and political positions within the Cursus Honorum (the path through the Roman Senate). They are intended only to be a loose representation of a possible path to personal glory and rank in ancient Rome and should not be taken too seriously as a typical method of personal advancement. They provide atmosphere to the site and little else.

Centurion-Macro, you are a member of the Marii, a plebeian gens whose probable founder was the distinguished military leader Gaius Marius, conqueror of the Cimbri and Teutones.

Your cognomen of