UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Segestan, you are a simple soldier. Although you belong to no notable gens, you nevertheless proudly bear the name "Andronicus" that was passed down to you by your Greek ancestors who came to Rome generations ago.

Your parents gave you the Roman praenomen of "Lucius" (abbreviated with an "L."), and your comrades in arms gave you the agnomen of "Magnus" in honor of your greatness on the battlefield. Your full Roman name is...

L. Andronicus Magnus

(ynaaoLngicd n rMRrh -yrrh +usus)

You asked "Why are there hidden names from the latin?" Because I say so, that's why. :)

-- Nephele

Ok let's see, here we go:

atrkPi aneArledx gitS glgiKnrbo

Ok let's see, here we go:

atrkPi aneArledx gitS glgiKnrbo

Hope you don't mind, Klingan, but I think I'm going to have to remove one or two middle names in order to work on this, as your entire scramble is a bit long to work with. Also, should there be a "c" in that first scramble of yours? Thanks!

-- Nephele

Sure remove the middle names no problem for me. About the c, I spell my name without it (The Swedish way to spell it). If you need to just change it into a c.

atrkPi glgiKnrbo (First and last name)

Klingan, your nomen gentilicium is extremely rare -- usually seen in the form of a cognomen. As "Saturnius" you are identified as a descendant of the god Saturnus.

Your cognomen of "Glabrio" honors the brave consul Manius Acilius Glabrio, who was commanded by Emperor Domitian to enter the arena and fight a lion. (A somewhat bigger cat than the one pictured as your avatar.)

Your praenomen is "Gaius" (abbreviated as "G.") and your full Roman name is...

G. Saturnius Glabrio

(atrkPi A.S. glgiKnrbo -kkp +uus)

-- Nephele

A very good name indeed :P I'm not really sure how you found it but I'm going to write it down :yes:

Thanks a lot!

This is such a great board! I just stumbled across it in my google touring. I'm an avid student of Roman history and a collector of Roman jewelry. Would you mind doing the Roman names for my boyfriend and me?

Female: atnhasa nov melek

Male: elulrss meaprl tessri

I'm off to poke around some more.

Thank You,

Rusty's natasha

Edited by natasha_CB

This is such a great board! I just stumbled across it in my google touring. I'm an avid student of Roman history and a collector of Roman jewelry.

Natasha, I think you've stumbled across the BEST board of its kind on the 'net. Welcome to UNRV! You'll not only find (and be encouraged to contribute to) a treasure trove of information here, you'll also encounter some very friendly folks here. Btw, I'd love to see pictures of some of that Roman jewelry you collect!

As for your Roman identity... You are a lady belonging to the Valentia gens, your gens name meaning "strength". Your cognomen of "Sophena" is derived from the Greek word meaning "wisdom".

You therefore personify Roman Strength when paired with Greek Wisdom:

Valentia Sophena

(takvaoseleamhnn -km +ip)

Your boyfriend is a member of the Tremellia gens, a plebian gens "first mentioned towards the end of the second Punic war", which produced at least a couple of Tribunes.

His agnomen of "Pressus", meaning "pressure", was given to him by his fellow soldiers, in recognition of his strong, warrior's grip.

He possesses one of the rarer praenomina -- Aruns (abbreviated as "Ar."), an Etruscan name handed down from Rome's Regal Period. His full Roman name is...

Ar. Tremellius Pressus

(splerlartsliemesusr -l +u)

-- Nephele

Thank You! The names a very fun (and very applicable!).

I really do need to get some pics of the stuff I've got. The most recent one I purchased is a silver-set intaglio of a Scorpian in...I think reddish agate. I also have another red agate intaglio of Romulus, Remus and the She-wolf that I had set into a huge sterling silver ring for my boyfriend. lastly, I have two nice bronze rings - one with a large blue glass cab and one with two smaller green and white striped glass discs. I love them all.

I'll try to get some pics next week and stick them up for fun.

Thanks again!

I really do need to get some pics of the stuff I've got. The most recent one I purchased is a silver-set intaglio of a Scorpian in...I think reddish agate. I also have another red agate intaglio of Romulus, Remus and the She-wolf that I had set into a huge sterling silver ring for my boyfriend. lastly, I have two nice bronze rings - one with a large blue glass cab and one with two smaller green and white striped glass discs. I love them all.

Thanks again!

Welcome to UNRV, Natasha. I can see that you will compliment our Nephele very well. You will now be able to assist her in adorning us all. Nephele always provides garlands and fabrics for any virtual celebrations we have here, and now we have our very own jeweller! ;) I am sure you'll enjoy the lighter moments here with us as well as the more serious discussions.

Thanks again!

Looking forward to those pics! And, in the meantime, you deserve a jewel-name, anagrammed from your actual name. I hereby dub you "Shantel Van Kameo" (anagram of takvaoseleamhnn). Sorry I couldn't get "intaglio" out of your name, but cameos are kind of close. :thumbsup:

You will now be able to assist her in adorning us all. Nephele always provides garlands and fabrics for any virtual celebrations we have here, and now we have our very own jeweller!

So we have, Augusta! Hail Shantel Van Kameo!

-- Nephele

Edvinsen, I'm so sorry it's taken me this long to get to your name! Usually I'm quicker than this, but I must have missed seeing your posting a few days back when I was having computer troubles.

Okay, here you go! Your innate love of history is revealed not only by your presence on this Roman history message board, but also by your ancestry, for you are a descendant of the historian Vennonius, whom Cicero placed immediately after Fannius in his enumeration of historians.

Your cognomen of "Ruber" indicates that your ancestors may have been noted for their ruddy complexion. If you don't share in that physical attribute, then perhaps the color red simply becomes you. Your praenomen is "Aulus", abbreviated as "A."

Your full Roman name is

Edited by Nephele