UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your Hidden Roman Name

Nephele

C.D.E., you are a descendant of that famous Salonius who served as a faithful scribe to Cato the Elder, and who eventually became Cato's father-in-law.

Your praenomen is Spurius, abbreviated as "S." and your cognomen is "Veter", meaning "ancient; of long standing," emphasizing your family's veteran status as Roman citizens.

Your full Roman name is:

S. Salonius Veter

nsaoJ rSeylvste -jy +iu

And, because you have such a cool screen name, here's another Roman identity for you, blanagrammed from "Carthago Delenda Est!":

C. Atheneus Gladiator

Carthago Delendo Est -de +iu

Welcome to UNRV! B)

-- Nephele

Perfect, twice over. The first puts me solidly in the respectable mainstream of Roman society, and the second lands me in the James Dean-equivalent, Roman style, of "Rebel Without a Cause"--putting me in touch with my "inner Spartacus." That casting director still doesn't know what he missed when he cast Russell Crowe instead of me in "Gladiator".... :)

Seriously, thank you. Both for the Roman names anagrammed from my own real one, and your warm welcome.

Sincerely, -C.D.E., aka Spurius.

Great topic ;>

Got the PM I'd check it out.

volraanyladdei - lets see what you can do with that ;)

I'm male, despite my screen name. The strong women portrayed in contrast with the most of the men of the period is one of many things I love about Tacitus' Annals.

Epicharis, you are a member of the patrician class, as you belong to the noble gens which bears the name of Valerius.

Your ancestors' reputation for ferocity on the battlefield has earned your branch of the Valerii the cognomen of "Lanio", which literally means "butcher" and metaphorically means "executioner".

Your praenomen of "Aulus" is abbreviated as "A." Your full Roman name is:

A. Valerius Lanio

volraanyladdei -ydd +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I actually did insist on maenius, the Roman name you gave me months ago. However I can't help but would like to ask you for a feminine one. ;)

see what you can get from my short name MAENIUS

Miguel, you are a descendant of the 1st century C.E. Roman Stoic philosopher Gaius Musonius Rufus, noted for his commendable ethics and defense of free speech and rational thought. (Do take the time to read the essay on Musonius that I linked here, by Richard Carrier, author of Sense and Goodness Without God.)

Your Roman name is:

Musonia

snae ium -e +o

-- Nephele

Gaius Omarius, you share the same gens as a great, 1st century B.C.E. Roman poet, making you a member of the gens Albia.

Your cognomen of "Dominator" suggests that yours was a somewhat imperious branch of the gens.

Your praenomen of Aulus is abbreviated as "A."

Your full (hidden) Roman name is...

A. Albius Dominator

Rmoa Dair Bnsliaou -r +t

Welcome to UNRV! :P

-- Nephele

Edited by Nephele

Gaius Omarius, you share the same gens as a great, 1st century B.C.E. Roman poet, making you a member of the gens Albia.

Your cognomen of "Dominator" suggests that yours was a somewhat imperious branch of the gens.

Your praenomen of Aulus is abbreviated as "A."

Your full (hidden) Roman name is...

A. Albius Dominator

Rmoa Dair Bnsliaou -r +t

Welcome to UNRV! :P

-- Nephele

HRTDAO KVLIISDN. I am male. Please see what can you do with that and thank you.

ASCLEPIADES, you belong to the same gens as that famous 1st century C.E. general and politician, A. Didius Gallus.

However, your branch of the Didii were renown for their skill as huntsmen, pleasing your emperor patron with an endless supply of fresh boar, hare, and stag for his banquets. And so your worthy cognomen is Venator, meaning "hunter". Your praenomen is Lucius, abbreviated as "L.", and your full Roman name is:

L. Didius Venator

HRTDAO KVLIISDN -hk +eu

-- Nephele

ASCLEPIADES, you belong to the same gens as that famous 1st century C.E. general and politician, A. Didius Gallus.

However, your branch of the Didii were renown for their skill as huntsmen, pleasing your emperor patron with an endless supply of fresh boar, hare, and stag for his banquets. And so your worthy cognomen is Venator, meaning "hunter". Your praenomen is Lucius, abbreviated as "L.", and your full Roman name is:

L. Didius Venator

HRTDAO KVLIISDN -hk +eu

-- Nephele

I'm impressed; you're really proficient with this stuff. Thanks a lot.

skiman305, you belong to the Maecilia gens, which gave birth to the noble Sp. Maecilius who served four terms as a Tribune of the Plebs in the 5th century B.C.E. Another noble ancestor of your gens was T. Maecilius Croto, a Lieutenant Legate who was entrusted by Ap. Claudius to receive the soldiers who survived Cannae and lead them to Sicily (Liv. 23.31.6).

Your cognomen is Trachalus, which may be derived from the name of the ancient town of Trachas (located southeast of Rome near the Pomptine Marshes), suggesting that your family's branch of the Maecilii may have come from that town.

Your praenomen is Publius, abbreviated as "P." and your full Roman name is:

P. Maecilius Trachalus

whialimcekrtplshaca -whk +uus

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I'll get to work on your name right away, Urbs Aedificator

I was wondering... If you would like me to do a name for your dear father, as well, I'll see if I can maybe work out my blanagrams so that the two of you share the same gens. I was so sorry to read of your loss.

-- Nephele