UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Sue, you are a descendant of the wealthy but unfortunate Marcus Obellius Firmus, whose lavish house in Pompeii was destroyed in the tragedy of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, 79 C.E.

Your nickname cognomen is "Etrusca," indicating your family's pride in their Etruscan origins. Your full Roman name is:

Obellia Etrusca

= carolsueblythe -yh +ia

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

JhaoswEhbdnNvaddstEoiuirg

That scramble's a bit long to work with. Could you remove a middle name (or two)? Thanks!

-- Nephele

Sue, you are a descendant of the wealthy but unfortunate Marcus Obellius Firmus, whose lavish house in Pompeii was destroyed in the tragedy of the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, 79 C.E.

Your nickname cognomen is "Etrusca," indicating your family's pride in their Etruscan origins. Your full Roman name is:

Obellia Etrusca

= carolsueblythe -yh +ia

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

I love my new name -- not to mention my ancestor! Too bad about his house ... and him and his family.

Thanks, Nephele!

Obellia Etrusca

JsaovbHadehEdruidg

Sorry, still too long, Agent-ESv1. Can we try a scramble of just your first and last names? Thanks.

Btw, welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Agent-ESv1, you are a member of the Abudii, noted mostly for your unfortunate ancestor, Abudius Rufo, who was banished from Rome by the Emperor Tiberius.

Your cognomen/nickname is "Heres", meaning "a heir", because, on the upside of your ancestor's banishment, you inherited his wealth.

Your praenomen is "Gaius". Although customarily abbreviated as "C.", you obstinately choose to abbreviate your praenomen with a "G." Your full Roman name is:

G. Abudius Heres

= JrdohhBaeuesg -joh +ius

(I finally managed to get something out of that difficult name of yours! :no2: Thanks for your patience!)

-- Nephele

Agent-ESv1, you are a member of the Abudii, noted mostly for your unfortunate ancestor, Abudius Rufo, who was banished from Rome by the Emperor Tiberius.

Your cognomen/nickname is "Heres", meaning "a heir", because, on the upside of your ancestor's banishment, you inherited his wealth.

Your praenomen is "Gaius". Although customarily abbreviated as "C.", you obstinately choose to abbreviate your praenomen with a "G." Your full Roman name is:

G. Abudius Heres

= JrdohhBaeuesg -joh +ius

(I finally managed to get something out of that difficult name of yours! :no2: Thanks for your patience!)

-- Nephele

haha too cool man thanks :]

doherty, you are a member of the Decia gens -- a plebeian gens, "but of high antiquity" which "became illustrious in Roman history by two members of it sacrificing themselves for the preservation of their country."

Your cognomen is "Raptor" -- a word though nowadays recognized as being the most terrifyingly predatory dinosaur from Jurassic Park, in ancient Roman times it indicated one who was a robber who seized and abruptly made off with his prize. Your branch of the Decii obtained this cognomen due to their unapologetic reputation of getting what they want.

Your praenomen is "Tiberius", abbreviated as "Ti." Your full Roman name is:

Ti. Decius Raptor

= paircekthrdoty -khy +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Jag1HP, you are related (by gens) to that same Largius Licinus spoken of by Pliny the Younger in one of his letters.

Perhaps because your distant relative was spoken of disparagingly (for hiring his own cheering section in the courts of law), your own branch of the family has chosen to identify itself by a different cognomen: "Macer" (meaning "lean"). For, lean and mean you are, with no patience for the antics of that other branch of the Largii.

Your praenomen is "Aulus", abbreviated as "A." Your full Roman name is:

A. Largius Macer

= rlaemacagrisd -d +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

doherty, you are a member of the Decia gens -- a plebeian gens, "but of high antiquity" which "became illustrious in Roman history by two members of it sacrificing themselves for the preservation of their country."

Your cognomen is "Raptor" -- a word though nowadays recognized as being the most terrifyingly predatory dinosaur from Jurassic Park, in ancient Roman times it indicated one who was a robber who seized and abruptly made off with his prize. Your branch of the Decii obtained this cognomen due to their unapologetic reputation of getting what they want.

Your praenomen is "Tiberius", abbreviated as "Ti." Your full Roman name is:

Ti. Decius Raptor

= paircekthrdoty -khy +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

amazing! haha. thank you :angry:

dleeklalocualnnteidony

Male

If that's too long:

diadcenoleutkanlly

I'm glad I found this site. For too long I've been corresponding with various Professors of Roman History around the world via email, bugging them with questions, speculation, etc.; now, having discovered this site, I can bug everyone here instead. :P