UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Nephele

Your Hidden Roman Name

Theophore Terence Anguish!! :punk: I'll have to refer to you by that name from now on.

Ummm try this for size

Byrra Oyalrt

Ummm try this for size

Byrra Oyalrt

Hi, Bazta. Male or female? And, can you include a middle name in your scramble?

-- Nephele

NBKRRBSIIAHTNAAIUND, and I'm female obviously. :)

Can't wait to see what I get. :) I hope my name isn't too difficult to work with.

Oh, and here is the scramble with just my first and last name: NNURHIBBAAD

Edited by nina

nina, you are the daughter of Gaius Urbinius, a Quaestor administering in Spain in the year 74 BCE. (Your father had served under the military commander Metellus Pius in Farther Spain.) As is Roman custom, you were named for your father's gens -- "Urbinia".

Your feminine cognomen of "Nida" is from the Latin word nidus, meaning "a nest" and metaphorically referring to a nestling, or young bird. This is an affectionate nickname that was bestowed upon you by your parents.

Your full Roman name is:

Urbinia Nida

= NNURHIBBAAD -bh +ii

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

hey nephele thanks for the welcomeing, and invite see what you can make of this

rishc etanogt

Chris08, you didn't say whether you are male or female, so I'll take a guess and give you a name for a Roman man.

You are a freedman of Appius Anius Gallus. Your former master is noted for having helped Otho to murder the Emperor Galba, but you wisely avoided involving yourself in such sordid shenanigans.

While in the servitude of Ap. Anius Gallus, you carefully minded your own business by focusing on your work as a skilled craftsman -- a master of stucco work, to be precise. This earned you your Latin name of "Tector" ("plasterer"). Upon gaining your freedom, you took the gens name of your former master, and added your slave name to it as your cognomen.

Your praenomen is "Gaius", which you abbreviate as "G.", preferring the newfangle letter of "G." to the traditional "C." abbreviation for Gaius. (This was a source of irritation to your former master, in addition to your ability to be carefully elsewhere when your master was hatching plots and in need of assistance.)

Your full Roman name is:

G. Anius Tector

= rishc etanogt -h +u

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Ummm try this for size

Byrra Oyalrt

Hi, Bazta. Male or female? And, can you include a middle name in your scramble?

-- Nephele

Full name is Barry Ronald Taylor - either scrambled or otherwise would be appreciated.

Sorry about delay in responding.

Bazta, you are descended from P. Barronius Barba, a Curule Aedile of the late Republic whose name has come down to us by way of an inscription on a Roman stone.

Your cognomen of "Allator" is a variant of "Alator", which is a Latin name (of unknown meaning, but suggested as meaning "he who nourishes") for a Celtic god who was associated with the Roman god of war, Mars. You were given this cognomen by your fellow soldiers, because you reminded them of this god while all of you were on campaign in Celtic territory.

Your praenomen is "Decimus," traditionally abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Barronius Allator

= Barry Ronald Taylor -ryy +ius

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

The Scrambler came up with this :- ItfeeEmirrrplde

Since I've been doing these Hidden Roman Names here for some time, I figured it's time to update this posting, and provide a new scrambling tool.

What I do here is find your "hidden" Roman name in your own name through the art of anagram or blanagram. A blanagram is like an anagram, except that one letter has been exchanged for another.

In my Hidden Roman Names blanagrams, I may exchange more than one letter, because a masculine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i", "u", and "s". A feminine ancient Roman name will generally require the letters "i" and "a".

All you need to do is provide me with a scramble of your name (and let me know whether you are male or female). I ask you to scramble your name for privacy. Here is a scrambling tool if you need help:

Scramble Me! (don't leave spaces between your first, middle, and last names as your type them out)

If your name scramble is too long to work with, I may ask you to remove a middle name. Or, to save time, you may provide me with both a scramble of your first/middle/last name and just your first/last name. Don't forget to let me know whether you are male or female!

Your resulting Roman name will be uniquely your own, as it will be created from the rearranged letters of your existing name. You may even receive your ancient Roman "family history", to go with your new name.

More about Roman names.

-- Nephele

PM!, you are descended from that noble Cneius Petreius Atinas, a primipilus centurion, who killed his tribune during the Cimbrian wars because the tribune hesitated to attack the enemy. According to Pliny (Natural History 22.6), Petreius was rewarded for his valor with the Grass Crown, being the only centurion ever to have been so honored.

Your cognomen of "Melior" means "better than just good." Your praenomen of "Decimus" is traditionally abbreviated as "D." Your full Roman name is:

D. Petreius Melior

ItfeeEmirrrplde -fer +uso

Welcome to UNRV!

-- Nephele

Nephele,

A friend of mine has asked wether you could do one for him, so i scrambled it and noted that you liked this so yeah

rbnenhayakto

Male

Chris08, your friend, like you, is also a freedman of Appius Anius Gallus. Like you, he also bears the nomen gentilicium of your former master: Anius.

Your friend, however, was not a skilled craftsman like yourself, but instead was the wine-bearer to your master. As such, your master named him "Beator", which means "bringer of blessings" (for your master did so appreciate the blessings to be found in a good goblet of wine).

When your friend was freed, like you, he took his slave name as his cognomen, while adopting the nomen gentilicium of your master. Your friend's praenomen is "Numerius", traditionally abbreviated as "N." His full Roman name is:

N. Anius Beator

= rbnenhayakto -hky +ius

-- Nephele

Thanks for the welcome! Might as well try it out! :unsure: But really, seems fun, here's my jumble:

khnreectmbaailrane

And I'm female.

Thanks for the welcome! Might as well try it out! :unsure: But really, seems fun, here's my jumble:

khnreectmbaailrane

And I'm female.

Hi, Severita! Your scramble is a bit long to work with. Would you mind giving it to me minus your middle name? Thanks!

-- Nephele