UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

Veracity Of Hbos Rome

The sponsorship advertisements during the herald

written curses were stuck under floorboards, in wells, and in places that would be likely to reach the underworld.

That was my understanding of what archaeological has brought to light, most particularly with wells & springs.

written curses were stuck under floorboards, in wells, and in places that would be likely to reach the underworld.

That was my understanding of what archaeological has brought to light, most particularly with wells & springs.

Yes, if you ever visit the English city of Bath you will see in their museum a collection of curses recovered from the sacred well of Diana. I love one on particular;" To whoever stole my gloves, may your lose your eyes and hands and die in agony."

Geej, someone really missed those gloves!

• Like 1

I was disappointed by Pharsalus too, but the series is focusing on character (IMHO) and we did get the wonderful "unease" of Cranham's Pompey - dolled up in his imperatorial finery but seemingly lost and overwhelmed. Compared to that Hind's fatalistic and calm Caesar, unruffled, but also conveying how much nervous energy he had expended.

Given the choice between a half-baked battle simply to impress, and the great acting we got, I think we got the better bargain.

Phil

How many wonderful battle scenes have you seen on other films/shows? LOADS.

How many Roman 'TRIUMPHS' have you seen like Caesars on HBO's Rome? None?

I think they have proritised the spending of 100 million dollars (approx) in an original and relevant way.

As for Hines being 'constipated'! I could not disagree with you more. He is the essence of Caesar IMHO and the chemistry between himself and james Purefoy (Mark Antony) is just fantastic.

In series 2 I imagine Octavian will kill Caesars child to Cleopatra when he finds it is Pullo's bastard. Think about it. It will help soften the event. Feeling sympathy for childkillers is never easy and Octavian is one of the shows hero's. just a prediction.

Dear Members, just doing the housekeeping :D , polish , whistle:

Pharsalus is hereby integrated into the great swamp of all things HBO !

Please continue I prithee. Shame we havent got a "doffing hat " icon.

I agree frankq, that the "rythmn" of that episode was slightly jarred by the lack of a more visual battle - the lead up, and what we had seen in Gaul in Episode 1 certainly suggested that we might get the cavalry charge later discussed, or something.

We could naturally debate Hinds

Pharsalus aside, we will be given the battle of Philippi next season, so that will be woth looking forward to...

I wonder if they will be keeping to Roman tactics or if it turns into a brawl with soldiers spining and twirling with their swords or picking up their enemies and flinging them through the air (like they usually do in epic movies).

Maybe they will take the different road and try to portray a realistic ancient battle, perhaps the first ever shown on screen.

Pharsalus aside, we will be given the battle of Philippi next season, so that will be woth looking forward to...

I wonder if they will be keeping to Roman tactics or if it turns into a brawl with soldiers spining and twirling with their swords or picking up their enemies and flinging them through the air (like they usually do in epic movies).

Maybe they will take the different road and try to portray a realistic ancient battle, perhaps the first ever shown on screen.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good battle, but by dramatising Philippi, might not there be more problems than there would have been with Pharsalus? Not only were two battles fought, but the armies were separated in the engagements too. So, are we going to have the depiction of Antony's initial victory over Cassius, or Brutus' initial victory over Octavian? Or will we just have the final day? What the heck! Come on, HBO, throw more money about and give us it all in all its glory! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good battle, but by dramatising Philippi, might not there be more problems than there would have been with Pharsalus?

Excellent point. From a dramatist's point of view and fight scene coordinator's, it's a much tougher call.

No doubt they will decide to show the last day of fighting with perhaps the others being ignored or only briefly mentioned in some other context.

Could be, they are already downplaying or ignoring Cassius, who was the one true military man at Philippi and who went out after the first round. Poor Brutus.