UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

Veracity Of Hbos Rome

Would this not be a "sica" , curved sword used by a Thrax? I suspect Longbow or Caldrail will have the information at their fingertips.If Irecall correctly this sword is to "get round" an opponents shield. but more importantly to strike upward as a "punch" weapon to the chin.

post-894-1185479523_thumb.jpg

im new here. about the gladiatorial fight in season 1, notice the sword used by Vorenus to cut the arm of the "giant" gladiator. it's a chinese sword called "dadao." although it was quite shortened, but still not a sword used by gladiators. there were no contacts between Rome and china.

Here's the critical clip. There are a few things to notice. First, the only arm cut off belongs to one of the early gladiators, not the giant one. Second, it's Pullo who cuts off the arm, not Vorenus. Third, he does it with a normal gladius.

A curved blade is later picked up by Pullo, then by Vorenus, who uses it to slice one of the giant's legs.

The sword in question has a blade shape similar to the Dadao but the weapon has a one handed grip so i would say it's closer to a cheap medieval Falchion sword,not all Falchions had the fancy curve to the tip some of them were just squared off rusty pieces of metal.The blade shape is a common design whats very heavy and good for chopping,it's not a sophisticated weapon by any means,these thing's were used by people who couldnt afford better or didnt want to be there,i'm sure they had those in Rome too with swordsmiths providing accordingly :D .

It's certainly not a weapon used by Gladiators in the games,but the scenes a criminal execution not a matched fight.

L

Edited by longbow

thanks for the correction about the fight. the last time i saw rome season 1 was like months ago. the gladiatorial fight still lingered on my mind.

the blade still looks like a dadao. the hilt may be short, but the blade guard is that of a dadao. :D oo, it doesnt look like a falchion. and oh correct me if im wrong, but contrary to popular belief, gladius are NOT used by gladiators. right?

anyway, im so glad i came to this forum. im not braggin, but in where i live, i can only find a VERY few who knows about swords, roman history, etc. i may know alot but compared to you guys, im just a noob. :)

:) Edited by longbow

What I always found odd was how Octavian could go from a 14ish year old to a 25ish year old in just a couple of episodes.