UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Pertinax

Veracity Of Hbos Rome

I was watching Rome the other day, and I picked on something else: Pompey's son, Sextus is a fair bit younger than he was in reality. He was in his twenties when he witnessed the death of his father; but in Rome, he depicted as an infant of about six.

In addition, Sextus' brother, Gnaeus, is referred to as 'Neptune

I was watching Rome the other day, and I picked on something else: Pompey's son, Sextus is a fair bit younger than he was in reality. He was in his twenties when he witnessed the death of his father; but in Rome, he depicted as an infant of about six.

If Caesar had simply cried (when given Pompey's head) it could have been an excellent cliff-hanger type scenario. Wondering his actual intentions....Were the tears relief? sadness? Anger?....

As for the writers wanting a revenge factor, Servilia is cast as the main instigator of opposition and, eventually, assassination of Caesar due to personal reasons (in the guise of Republicanism). I always think that by putting much of the momentum of the backlash against Caesar on Servilia's shoulders that the story does no justice to Brutus. He is little more than a naive pawn used first by Caesar and then by Servilia. If my reading of his character is correct he was a citizen of devout principle AND INTELLIGENCE. Not someone who could be so easily manipulated by others for their own benefit.

"How could Caesar hate someone who had cherished his beloved daughter...."

Cato was Servilia's half brother and Brutus' uncle (both loved Caesar) yet he despised him.

I am sure that better examples of personal hatred existing next to mutual affection. The Roman elite was a very small world of tangled alliances and love/hate.

The Caesar overcome scenario is excellently depicted by Rex Harrison in the 1960s epic Cleopatra. I suspect that writers and producers alike wished to avoid duplication of this scene, as they specifically did the "look" of Alexandria.

Film producers are not - as historians are - bound by the sources. They are creating drama and entertainment. hence, they will often look for the original angle.

Look at Cleopatra, you'll have your moment.

Phil

I only read the first few pages of this thread (have only watched the first two episodes) and most of it seemed to deal with things I'd consider very minor. Perhaps I've forgotten something I've read but tell me this.

Pompey's attempted assassination of Octavian who is actually captured by Gauls acts as the catalyst for the start of the Civil War?

Is there any kernel of truth in any of that?

I'm shocked that no one has brought this up and instead consider all these very very minor items dealing with armor and parrots.

Pompey's attempted assassination of Octavian who is actually captured by Gauls acts as the catalyst for the start of the Civil War?

In the series, Pompey didn't attempt to kill Octavian. At least, that's not how I interpreted the events depicted.

I just watched the first two episodes of Season 1 (bought the box set) & I was wondering about the scene after Titus Pullo gets busted up in the bar fight. The doctor comes & takes a piece of his skull out, removes some pieces of whatever he got hit with, then attaches a metal plate to his skull. That seems like some pretty advanced medicine. Was that possible in BC Rome?

I just watched the first two episodes of Season 1 (bought the box set) & I was wondering about the scene after Titus Pullo gets busted up in the bar fight. The doctor comes & takes a piece of his skull out, removes some pieces of whatever he got hit with, then attaches a metal plate to his skull. That seems like some pretty advanced medicine. Was that possible in BC Rome?

Certainly, although the danger from faulty knowledge and the risk of infection among other complications probably made recovery a bit iffy. In any case, works by Galen and Celsus offer considerable detail on the subject. Galen lived considerably after the events in the show (mid to late 2nd century) but Celsus wrote De Medicina in the early principate. It's reasonable to assume that medicine would not have changed that drastically from the time of Caesar to the reign of Claudius, but others may be able to offer more detailed insight.

Another question I have (which may or may not be an inaccuracy)...In the various scenes in the Senate, all the players are wearing what seems to be the same white toga with a crimson stripe....except Cato. He's wearing an all black off-the-shoulder deal. Does this represent some kind of special status or rank?

Edited by Vercingetorix

Another question I have (which may or may not be an inaccuracy)...In the various scenes in the Senate, all the players are wearing what seems to be the same white toga with a crimson stripe....except Cato. He's wearing an all black off-the-shoulder deal. Does this represent some kind of special status or rank?

The toga pulla was worn to indicate mourning or crisis. Cato wore it in protest to the political condition of the Republic... essentially against Caesar and his supporters.

Plutarch, in Life of Cato Minor, Ch 5. associates it with a more moral condition.

And in general Cato esteemed the customs and manners of men at that time so corrupt, and a reformation in them so necessary, that he thought it requisite, in many things, to go contrary to the ordinary way of the world. Seeing the lightest and gayest purple was then most in fashion, he would always wear that which was nearest black; and he would often go out of doors, after his morning meal, without either shoes or tunic; not that he sought vainglory from such novelties, but he would accustom himself to be ashamed only of what deserves shame, and to despise all other sorts of disgrace.

Thanks PP & Cato! I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get through the rest of Season 1 ;) .

im new here. about the gladiatorial fight in season 1, notice the sword used by Vorenus to cut the arm of the "giant" gladiator. it's a chinese sword called "dadao." although it was quite shortened, but still not a sword used by gladiators. there were no contacts between Rome and china.

im new here. about the gladiatorial fight in season 1, notice the sword used by Vorenus to cut the arm of the "giant" gladiator. it's a chinese sword called "dadao." although it was quite shortened, but still not a sword used by gladiators. there were no contacts between Rome and china.

Looked like an ordinary gladius to me. But then why suppose that the eponymous gladiator would use the gladius?