UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Favonius Cornelius

Gasoline Price Bet

Tu parles francais comme vache espagnole.

You don't need to utter such 'cow-patties'... :hammer:

Updated data from EIA:

9/11 - US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.618

9/18 - US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.497

9/25 - US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.378

10/2 - US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.310

9/11 - US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.670

9/18 - US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.549

9/25 - US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.429

10/2 - US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.360

Data still consistent with two opposing hypotheses: (1) oil company/GOP price manipulation in anticipation of early November elections, (2) the seasonal fall in prices that occurs every year. The real test will come between early November and December. The first hypothesis sees a gradual return to pre-election prices (when oil companies would feel free to 'gouge' consumers); the second hypothesis sees continuing declines until demand picks up again in the spring.

Only time will tell...

Updated data from EIA:

10/9 - US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.261

10/9 - US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.310

Data still consistent with two opposing hypotheses: (1) oil company/GOP price manipulation in anticipation of early November elections, (2) the seasonal fall in prices that occurs every year. The real test will come between early November and December. The first hypothesis sees a gradual return to pre-election prices (when oil companies would feel free to 'gouge' consumers); the second hypothesis sees continuing declines until demand picks up again in the spring.

Only time will tell...

Oh, blazes, why not throw a little Citgo on the fire? On a trip to New Jersey the other day when out of the Holland Tunnel and on Route 1, regular was anywhere from $2.25 to $ 2.35 a gallon. Except for Citgo which was $1.99. (Viva Chavez) On the northerly side Getty was $2.25 and on the southerly (back to expensive New York) side - opposite - $2.30. Missed the price at Luk Oil. Anyway, vote for Chavez.

-----------------

Oh!, why not?

Malbrough S'En Va T'En Guerre.

Mironton, ton, ton, mirontaine.

Monsieur Malbrough est mort ... est mort et enterre.

Je l'ai vu porter en terre ... par quatre-z-officiers.

:thumbsup:

Leaving aside your appalling support for yet another rotten dictator, Citgo stations in the US set prices independently of their parent company. Thus, Hugo Chavez has no more control over the price of gasoline prices in US Citgo stations than he does over the prices of stations operated under competing franchises. If it were otherwise, I'd be very happy to join the Citgo boycott, which is the more likely cause of your local station's low prices.

Updated data from EIA:

10/9 - US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.261

10/16-US Avg (Regular Grade): $ 2.226

10/9 - US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.310

10/16-US Avg (All Grades): $ 2.274

Only time will tell...

Only time will tell...

Are these the only options left for we indulgent mortals? Let's see. How about a commodities market crash? A stock market crash? The Fed dries up M1,2,3, & 4? The Fed floods the economy with dollars. The Fed runs the Fed Funds rate up? Down? Chavez stops flooding the market with cheap oil? The Seven Deadly Sisters decide to compete with Hugo? Mexico and Canada get ticked off with the current dictator in the U.S. and ship their oil to China, Bulgaria and Nepal? U.S. West Coast oil doesn't go to Japan? Putin and Luk Oil decide to get even for Chechnya? Georgius Secundus invades Waziristan?

Viva Chavez! Viva Castro! Viva Bolivia! Viva Equador!

Bye the buy, who is the miscreant that speaks (writes?) French like a Turkish horse?

:(

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Are these the only options left for we indulgent mortals? Let's see. How about a commodities market crash? A stock market crash? The Fed dries up M1,2,3, & 4? The Fed floods the economy with dollars. The Fed runs the Fed Funds rate up? Down? Chavez stops flooding the market with cheap oil? The Seven Deadly Sisters decide to compete with Hugo? Mexico and Canada get ticked off with the current dictator in the U.S. and ship their oil to China, Bulgaria and Nepal? U.S. West Coast oil doesn't go to Japan? Putin and Luk Oil decide to get even for Chechnya? Georgius Secundus invades Waziristan?

Given that none of these events have occurred, they fail to explain the September fall in oil prices. Two opposing hypotheses were proposed to explain the observed fall in September oil prices, each with different predictions about the future. That's what we're tracking--with both predictions equally subject to outside risks of the sort that you have adumbrated.

MPC, let me try to explain my position. I am simply saying that there are a myriad of possible reasons for a price movement in anything. You are correct in saying that the price of gasoline generally does and will go up as summer comes on and down as fall arrives. After Katrina, the stuff was selling for $5 a gallon down there and the price of it jumped in the rest of the nation. The total supply was barely affected and same for total demand. I am not agreeing to one of two alternatives. I will agree to your EIA prices despite my sarcasm. But please be kind enough to cite where you disagree with anything I have written.

As you well know gasoline supply is subject to monopolistic pricing. This has been going on for a century. And once again, I apologize to all for my untoward writings.

P.S. Like 'adumbrated'. Haven't seen or heard it used in ages.

Edited by Gaius Octavius