UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Virgil61

Racial Traits In Contemporary Italy

Out of scientific and historical curiosity I've recently conducted some serious research into the physical traits of present day Italians that might be of some interest to some vis-a-vis traits in ancient Italy. Here are the results of my inquiry (then click on 'Le 101 finaliste di Salsomaggiore' in the upper right hand corner) along with a map showing their respective regions.

The results, I think most will agree, are very interesting.

[Edited to update correct link]

Edited by Virgil61

A splendid piece of True Scholarship, I must cease all other work and peruse your erudite presentation!

I will search diligently for a regional speciality .

Miss Eleganza Lazio has impressive attributes.

A splendid piece of True Scholarship, I must cease all other work and peruse your erudite presentation!

I will search diligently for a regional speciality .

Miss Eleganza Lazio has impressive attributes.

Thank you. True scholarship is a thankless job but I do it for the better understanding of mankind really.

Indeed, although I believe the results of #29 from the Lombard region seems to be more closely related to my area of specialization.

Edited by Virgil61

Your selfless devotion to scholarship is humbling. It is a difficult to make such fine distinctions of scholarship as you do,more detailed examination of the evidence is needed.

Sicillia repays study.

I find the languages attributed to the specimens curious. I am afraid that they need further investigation. Only DNA tests could prove your hypotheses. This is an area in which I have much interest. It would be my pleasure to conduct these tests when you are of a mind to do so.

Virgil61, upon re-reading your paper, I find that you are in agreement with Dr. E.L. Cronoch, Dean of the College of Forensic Medicine in the University of Ft. Hamilton. As you do, he questions the provenance of the Valle d' Aosta specimen (#48). He too, believes that the specimen is from Campania. Upon further investigation, I firmly believe that Pertinax will agree without reservation. Pertinax, as mentioned in another thread, is conducting an investigation into the origins of the Brigantines.

I was fortunate enough to attend a symposium chaired by Dr. Cronoch at the Brooklyn Museum this past summer at which he presented his paper: "On The Origins of Modern Italians". Have you had the pleasure of reading this exposition?

You may not be aware of this, but Pantagathus is presently investigating the origins of modern Greeks. He also has a mild interest in the origins of modern Italians. I am certain that he will also attest to the proper provenance of #48.

The subjects will be administered various tests designed to measure stamina and flexibility. To receive statistically significant scores the same tests shall be administered repeatedly.

As this kind of data gathering is a rather grueling afffair, I shall be noble and volunteer to do the dirty work.

In my opinion, Italia Irridentia and Corsica along with Monaco and the Italian speaking regions of Switzerland should be included in the study. The more subjects that are studied the greater the validity of the work.

Edited by Gaius Octavius

Ahhh, the rigors an academic must endure!

I'm puzzled though, 007, Miss Liguria seems quite a bit taller than the ancient Ligurians were reported to be... :thumbs_up:

We all owe Virgil a debt of gratitude for his promotion of...educational...discovery.

I avoided looking at this thread till now because I thought "not another racial discussion". Having observed that there have been so many serious contributors participating, I began to read and soon realised that there must really be something of interest here.

But, Virgil, your first link doesn't work any more (at least, not for me). Have I missed the bus?

But, Virgil, your first link doesn't work any more (at least, not for me). Have I missed the bus?

Oh dear....

Andrew, it does unfortunately seem to be the case. :nopity:

Oh dear....

Andrew, it does unfortunately seem to be the case. :nopity:

Thanks for the musical sympathy, Pantagathus. I've learned my lesson ...