UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DecimusCaesar

Europa Barbarorum Mod For Rome: Total War

Has anyone played this MOD for Rome: Total war?

It is still incomplete, but the purpose of the MOD is to turn Rome: Total war into a historical simulation, it is even more realistic than RTR.

I tried downloading the Beta version many months ago but it simply would not work on my system, the game crashed to the desktop before it even got past the loading screen (I haven't played Rome: Total War or its MODs for a long time).

Here is a link to their official site for more info:

Europa Barbarorum

Will anyone be trying it out? If you already have it, is it any good?

I love mods of all kinds, makes things interesting. I'll try this one when they get it hammered out. It's funny though, RTR claims it's more hardcore than RTW, and now these guys are even more hardcore eh? Heh.

I see they use Imperial Roman legions as well, very nice. I think I may give this game a wirl.

Sometimes I wonder if they will ever be done with this mod... they've been working on it longer than RTR, and they are still in Beta while RTR is on v7.0...

It looks really good I will not lie, but I question beta's since they have a tendacy to run amazing to a point then suddenl CTD and prevent the game from being anymore fun.

It's funny though, RTR claims it's more hardcore than RTW, and now these guys are even more hardcore eh? Heh.

Well, if these guys incorporate 'historically accurate' naked fanatics like RTR did, then they are hardcore... :lol:

I have had a go on the beta version, and the campaign mode is brilliant; you can actually play as the Catuvellauni (just the other day, I successfully sacked my home Civitas, Ratae).

Units are much more expensive than in RTR, so if you playing as a small nation (e.g. early Republican Roman), units have to be disbanded after a campaign. The initial game is economy based: wars are expensive (as they were in antiquity), and therefore you need to choose your foes wisely.

Guest Justiciar

Aye, it's a mod for the micro-managers and history fanatics.

Gaesatae were hillarious to begin with. Cock, cock, everywhere, and not a drop to- *ahem*.. And then you encounter them in-game. :D

The difference between RTR's and EB's approaches to historical accuracy is that EB started out with the intention of displaying "Barbarian" factions in a more realistic light, where as RTR set out to make the Hellenic and Roman factions more accurate. Though when EB got going they decided to do a complete rebuild of the game (in so far as they could.. they had about 3 overhauls due to RTW's hardcode).

This looks like a good mod, and I think I will try it out after finishing my Gaul campaign in RTR.

Perhaps it will be very fun. So, it is more accurate than RTR, or just more in some aspects (like barbarian civs)?