UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Optical Illusion

Viggen

Not only are square A and square B the same shade of gray but, if you stare hard enough and long enough, you see an image of Osama Bin Laden hiding in one of those squares.

-- Nephele

Edited by Nepilla Herena

Except that it's not your eye that's being tricked but your brain. The eye registers light differences pretty well, but the cortical mechanisms that code brightness have a geometery that is optimized for light differeces without being misled by shadows. FWIW, the shadow checkerboard illusion is in the same class as the White illusion, and they are apparently caused by pattern-specific inhibition filters. :smartass:

Edited by M. Porcius Cato

Not only are square A and square B the same shade of gray but, if you stare hard enough and long enough, you see an image of Osama Bin Laden hiding in one of those squares.

Hey, what did the squares ever do to deserve that? :):hammer:

Hey, what did the squares ever do to deserve that? :):hammer:

The squares are also hiding weapons of mass destruction. Optical illusions are tricky and threatening. We must free the checkerboard from the tyranny of optical illusions! :2guns:

-- Nephele

Lol ok what I see is the letter A is the same color as the square labeled B and vice versa. The square labeled A is dark the square labeled B is light Am I going blind? Do I have some hideous terminal spatial perception disease or is this some semantics trick? :) ( I am refering to Viggen's picture in Moonlapse's they both look dark)

Edited by Horatius

Here's the explanation from Professor Edward H. Adelson, Professor of Vision Science, at Massachusetts Institute of Technology:

Checkershadow: Click here

When you get to the page, you can click on "Proof" and "Explanation" separately.

-- Nephele

It's an easy illusion, and easy to see through... All you have to do is learn to see things as they are, not like you think they should be :bash:

I can spot most illusions like this with a glance, but if I'm concentrating...they fool me everytime.