UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Suggested Reading?

spittle

I'm new to this era and have so far read only a handfull of books concerning the Romans. Although I accept that the most informative titles are the college textbook type (such as Routledge History of the Ancient World series) I much prefer the 'lighter' reading of authors such as Tom Holland and Adrian Goldworthy.

I'm not going to give a limit on the number of books/authors a person can mention but I do suggest a short list and every entry to be accompanied with a reason for its inclusion.

Although I am probably the least qualified person on this forum to do so, I will include my short list to, hopefully, get the ball rolling.

1. RUBICON, Tom Holland. I defy anyone to repeat the old cliche that 'history is boring' after reading this. A real page turner.

2. THE BEGINNINGS OF ROME, T.J.Cornell. Serious and weighty. An academic attempt to shine a light on Romes oldest times.

3. CAESAR, Goldworthy. Examining one of histories true giants. Revealing his personality and character without being bogged down in the minutae of custom and jargon.

This is me to be the least qualified one, not you, dude.

I think if you would like to study this era, better for you to read about the whole than study every part precisely at first. After you have the main idea, you can start to develop each topic more detail. Like, as your list has included, the foundation and building of Rome, the republic, the caesar, the empire, etc. I would recommend these books:

The Romans, Antony Kamm. Well, the first 3 chapters (The founding of Rome; The republic; the Caesars) are really useful, both brief and precise, you can easily understand. The other chapters are mostly about life of Romans. You can read if you are interested.

The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization, Bryan Ward-Perkins. It describes the very detail of how the Roman Empire came to a decline. An advance book for further study of the decline of Rome, or maybe you can read it togther with Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire and Peter Heather's Fall of the Roman Empire

Or, if you want some fun while reading, try some children's books. Easy to understand, and have fun with some DIY handicrafts, cooking, drawing and so on :ph34r:

Miguel is right that when starting out in studying the Romans it is best to start with the basic stuff rather than the academic works.

A few examples would be the series of books published by Peter Connolly for Oxford Publishing. The books (Ancient Rome, Pompeii, The Tiberius Claudius Maximus series) are written for beginners in a simple and easily understandable form. As a bonus the books are also well illustrated, showing how buildings, fashion, weapons etc looked like during that era through Mr. Connolly's excellent illustrations.

An Academic work by Peter Connolly that is worth reading is 'Greece and Rome at War' - which details the arms, armour and battle tactics of the Classical World.

Other excellent books include Robin Lane Fox's 'The Classical World: An Epic history of Greece and Rome';

'Handbook to Life in Ancient Rome' by the Adkins Brothers; any book by Adrian Goldsworthy; The Chronicle of the Roman Republic/Emperors series (which Cato reviewed a few days ago); books by Michael Grant (History of Rome, Gladiators, Fall of the Roman Empire etc); titles in the Fontana History of the Ancient world (Roman Republic, Roman Empire, Later Roman Empire).

Other books about the Later Roman Era that are worth a look ae 'The World of Late Antiquity' by Peter Brown, The Mediterranean World in Late Antiquity' by Averil Cameron.

For futher research it is also worth getting Classical History books published by Oxford and Cambridge universities.

I know you said you prefered the 'lighter' reading of modern authors but i strongly suggest you read Suetonius' Twelve Caesars you will not be dissapointed, it was the first of the 'classics' that i read and i was suprised just how easy going it was, it was a real page turner, Suetonius is a fantastic storyteller.

Aside from that anything by Michael Grant is a winner, the man is one of the greatest historians of our time and has wrote so many books on all aspects Rome that you cant fail to find something that really interests you.

I'm planning on reading Grants biography of Caesar straight after Goldworthy's. To look for any disagreements and cement the known facts more permanently.

I will accept your superior knowledge and pledge to at least attempt some of the contemporary literature(maybe ancient would be a more accurate discription).

If you suggest Suetonius then thats who I'll begin with. You never know...I might surprise myself?

Edited by spittle

I have a few- I am alawys tryiong to get a leg up on some of our most influential but not so well know Emporers. Aurelian comes to mind...

I have read 2 books (there aren't many more out there btw) on this obscure but important Imperator-

Aurelian and the Third Century by Alaric Watson and

Restorer of the World: The Roman Emperor Aurelian by John F. White

I recommend both, highly.

I wish Aurelian had minted more in sliver or gold, all I could find to purchase was this- http://www.parthia.com/coins/peg_9723656.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

When I started out, I read Seneca, Suetonius, Caesar -- as much first hand material as I could. Don't know if that was a good idea because I found it difficult to plug through and even harder to retain. Since then, I've beefed up on my knowledge of Roman history -- mostly by listening to audio courses from the terrific Teaching Company (www.teach12.com). These are in-depth college level courses that make Roman history live for you. Now that I feel I have a firmer foundation, I want to go back to the original sources. However, to answer your question about recommended reading: "Pride of Carthage" by David Anthony Durham. It chronicles Hannibal and his brothers and makes all the characters flesh and blood people. Another one I enjoyed was "Imperial Governor" by George Shipway. It's billed as a novel of Boudicca's revolt in Britain, but it's more the story of Sueotonius Paulinus and how as Governor of Britian, he kept it under Roman control.

If you go to the thread 'Before the republic' under the IMPERIUM ROMANARUM forum (REPUBLIC sub forum) there is a whole discussion concerning when it is best to attempt to read the ancient sources. I predicted similar problems (I'm a beginner) to the ones you have just confirmed.

I will look out for Pride of Carthage, it sounds good. However I am not too sure about Imperial Governor or any Historical Fiction. There is so much fascinating factual information to take in that I'm not sure I want to read any fiction at all.

Edited by spittle

For beginning books I would recommend Penguin Classics. They contain (although most are heavily selected or abridged) easy to read translations of the classical authors with solid introductions into the period and a hefty amount of notes. They are very cheap used. Its an excellent way to start off learning about the history before you move on to the bigger stuff..

What would you suggest is a good narrative history of the late Roman Empire

History of the Later Roman Empire (Two volumes) by J. B. Bury is a good narrative, if not a bit antiquated(It was written in the 20's).

History of the Byzantine State by Georgije Ostrogorski begins with Constantine

The Later Roman Empire by Averil Cameron(One volume, its not too big, i would suggest this for an inntroduction

There is always Cambridge Ancient History, if you have a local university library... I wouldnt suggest forking over the cash for it...

primary sources are rare so your not very likely to find many. There is Ammianus Marcellinus, whos cut down history(of his actual history only the last fifteen books survive) is available through penguine classics(much of his anecdotes are lost), there is Procopius Secret Histories but I have never seen any of his On Building/On War unfortunately, I havent seen much of Zosimus either...

Dont do what i did and introduce yourself to the history by picking up AHM Jones massive work... <_< I have so much trouble now trying to bring back what I read....

Oh yea... And I just recently read (thanks to Viggen for recommending it)

Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire : From the First Century A.D. to the Third

Has a few tid bits on the later empire(it ends at Diocletian)... Best not read as an introductory to the period as there is very little actual history... But after some of the narratives have been set and done, I would definitely pick this up.

Edited by Divi Filius

Thanks for the recommendations DF! I have read the Averil Cameron book, it's very good! I believe she is one of the leading experts in the field. I have also had a look at Ammianus Marcellinus and Procopius ( that man really hated Justinian and Theodora...they killed how many people in Africa???) It's true what you say, first hand texts from the era are hard to get. Thanks for telling me not to jump straight to A.H.M jones' work...I was planning on getting that. I might wait a while then.... ;)

I will probably get the J.B Bury books eventually...thanks again!

I'd also suggest a somewhat different approach, especially since you specified "light" reading. You might want to take a look at some of the series fiction set in Rome, for a more recreational sojourn with the topic, as well as to develop some general ambience. John Maddox Roberts and Steven Saylor have series that are roughly contemprary, set from just before the Rubicon to ( I assume, neither has progressed that far) just before Teutoberger Wald. Lindsay Davis set her series a bit later, during the reign of Vespasian, and I would also recommend her novel about the rise of Vespasian, "The Course of Honor."

Of these three, Davis' books probably do the worst job of giving you an authentic ambiance, but are the most fun. Each novel explores a different aspect of the Roman world; "Silver Pigs," for example, is set in the tin mines of Britain, while "A Hand in the Fountain" is centered on the water supply and acqueduct system, and "Last Act in Palmyra" puts the hero and his family in an acting troupe wandering around Judea.