UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Ursus

UNRV American Meet 2007

While our dedicated UK membership (and various associated Europeans) makes plan for a meeting in 2007 under Legatus Pertinax, the time has come for American members to do the same. Unfortunately we have a far larger territory to include than our comrades on their cozy Island home.

There has been some talk of this already on the Patrician forum. Those out West feel Las Vegas is a natural meeting point. Those in the East might see New York as a gathering place.

I personally feel that to keep travel down, rather than have one meeting point for the entire country, it should be broken down into several regional meet-ups. Of course I may be overruled at this assessment, which is fine. But I can tell you the likelihood of this Pennsylvanian flying to Vegas is remote.

There is also the question of exactly what scene wants to have as a backdrop to a meet. New York has museums, Las Vegas has night life. I myself would be happy at a gathering of local Roman reenactors, with an informal gathering at a pub afterwards.

The purpose of this thread is simply to get the very basics down of what the American membership wants. Afterwards, more focused discussion can ensue.

I feel the main questions right now are:

1) One meeting place for the country, or several for regional meet ups?

2) What exactly does one want to do?

3) What exactly is the level of interest in the first place?

.:Red Flag:. *Interested*

I would love to go, but alas, I would only be able to go during the summer as I am school-bound. As for what one wants to do, I don't mind, I'm up for anything.

Edit: It would be possible to leave Friday afternoon and return Monday morning. Risky business though.

Also, why does everyone here live in Pennsylvania?!?

Edited by Antiochus of Seleucia

Yes, I agree with Antiochus I am interested but have school. Unless it is somewhere near here, I don't know it I would be able to go. Since England is condensed and everyone knows the land it is easy but it's hard here. Maybe we should start to set up ideas about this?

Also, why does everyone here live in Pennsylvania?!?

I think the question would be who doesen't live in Pennsylvania. :hammer:

Edited by Rameses the Great

It would be during the late spring or early summer. No final date is fixed, which is a topic of discussion in its own right.

And I suppose Pennsylvania lends itself to boredom, which is why so many of its citizens turn to the net for amusement.

As I said in the previous discussion, I am planning some sort of east coast trip next summer and would gladly make a stopover at any locale between Detroit and the Virginia area.

I'm highly interested, but the timing is going to have to be right. It doesn't matter where it is; I get the feeling that there aren't too many of us west of the Rockies, so I'd be up for the travel. But my 2007 is looking highly eventful, so we shall see. I have no real input otherwise...once a date/place is set, I'll see if I can't go along!

I don't live in Pennsylvania - Louisiana pride! :hammer:

But I also have school next year, so it will have to be sometime in the summer. Preferably not too far west, I don't want to go bankrupt for two or three days in Vegas.

Las Vegas sounds good, over a few drinks it won't take too long for everyone to get acquainted, it's a 4 hour drive from LA. We could all stay at Caesar's palace over the weekend, I think that would be a good setting, I'm sure Cato would love that idea.

If the purpose of the meeting is for everyone to have fun, then what better place than Las Vegas.

If we did New York, Gaius Octavius said that he would love it if we all stayed at his domus in Brookfordshiresexingham; he would even open up his good booze for us... :hammer:

Since I have special arrangements with a certain domestic carrier, I am not prohibited by costs from travelling to Vegas.. :pimp:

However, since both of the Legati have said that they are more bound to the East Coast I'm inclined to focus the plan in that direction. (But if there are two regional meetings I may just do both)

Other than New York, I'll also suggest D.C. because of various reasons.

Now, if anyone wants to do a short notice trip to Atlanta, the Michael C. Carlos Museum at Emory University has an exhibit going right now in regards to Roman Villas from the Bay of Naples (GO are you listening?) and another exhibit focused on Rome. (Along with their usual collection of Classical Antiquities)

I'd be interested in a regional meeting, east coast oriented. The family is planning to go to the Tut exhibit in Philadelphia (because my wife has relatives there), so that might be a date/time. I'll give data if people think this is viable.

Heck, M. Porcius Cato lives in the same metro-area as I do and we haven't even thought about getting together over lunch or some such...

These things are like herding cats. It takes a while to organize, but actually as the site gets more members it becomes easier to everyone moving in the same direction.

Hope to greet some of you in person at some point....

I feel the main questions right now are:

1) One meeting place for the country, or several for regional meet ups?

2) What exactly does one want to do?

3) What exactly is the level of interest in the first place?

1. I would say firstly Las Vegas, and secondly Chicago. Both probably would have low fares and plenty to do. California has the Getty Villa, Chicago the Art Institute.

2. Hm.. drink. Talk about Romans. Go visit places.

3. Kind of low. Not that I don't value my friendships with you folks, but I barely have time to even sit down a write a decent piece for the web page. I'd still make an effort to go if something were held though, particularly if the location has other people I know also in the area.

Why don't we put the thing up for a vote.

These have already been mentioned Las Vegas, Chicago and New York, DC...