UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aurelianus

What Profession?

Not to be: Chiurgeon.

No question!

Whats wrong with that? pays bound to be good. the screams might get to you a bit though...

Not to be: Chiurgeon.

No question!

Whats wrong with that? pays bound to be good. the screams might get to you a bit though...

Unlike the modern days, doctors back then probably did not have quite as good a living unless you served the very rich and powerful, and if you did that your own life was probably at risk if you failed in your administrations! Add to that constant exposure to sickness, and you have a rather unappealing line of work in my opinion. :P

There aren't many options for women, were there? Being a senatorial girl would have material advantages, at the cost of absolutely no personal freedom. On the other hand, being a woman in a poor household wouldn't be very comfortable.

I suppose being a Roman princess would be the best approach. Something like Agrippina the Younger (minus the nastiness). The power and influence would be excellent, but marrying relatives and that sort of things... nah, I'm not so devious.

There are definate downsides, of course, take a look at what happened to my namesake.

Being a society lady isn't too far away from what I'm already used to, anyway.

I would say 'Vestal Virgin," but the whole rules thing kinda gets to me...and somehow I just don't think I'm blonde or airheaded enough. (Perhaps that's too much Mel Brooks' influence).

I guess the question is: what occupations could a woman have? Outside of the domestic/slave stuff, which I'm not even sure there was that much of...nanny, cook, and the like?

As for avoidance: anything that requires 'testing' things for the emperors.

Midwife? Courtesan? Gladiator? Entertainer? Plenty of female slave occupations. Then- as in later times- some women would have posed as men to pursue a more interesting life. Or earbash your father and get yourself married off to someone worthwhile. Life was often short and women did end up running business's after a spousal death. Or earbash your husband and get him to let you do something interesting. Women were active behind the scenes in politics, and I recall one woman was allowed to drill the troops by her husband.

Midwife? Courtesan? Gladiator? Entertainer? Plenty of female slave occupations. Then- as in later times- some women would have posed as men to pursue a more interesting life. Or earbash your father and get yourself married off to someone worthwhile. Life was often short and women did end up running business's after a spousal death. Or earbash your husband and get him to let you do something interesting. Women were active behind the scenes in politics, and I recall one woman was allowed to drill the troops by her husband.

Hmmmmmmmm...midwife? Possible. Courtesan? I'll leave that one alone :( Entertainer? Sounds a little too seedy for my taste. And since I don't wish to be a slave...earbashing someone (that just sounds funny!) is not fully my route. I think I'll stick by my original statement: married to a provincial viticulturist, so that I may partake of the fruits of our labor!

Let me immediately lower the tone. I would have thrown myself at Augustus! Terentia has my utmost envy. And do not imagine I jest! Providing one kept ones nose clean and didn't nag at him too much, I should think Augustus' mistress would have been a wonderful occupation. ;)

An earlier poster said the worst job would be Caligula's PA. Are you mad, Aurelianus? What an opportunity to study one of the most fascinating characters in history. And it would certainly keep you on your toes! :lol:

Megas Dux, a court official or perhaps a Eunuch in the Byzantine period.. minus the castration part :lol:

being a soldier in the late empire would suck imho

I am female.... I don't fancy being a vestal virgin, And i'm not that religous so the priestess of jupiter is out.... so I guess my profession will be that of a matron!

I think I would be happy in this role though!

I would make it my career to marry well and be a good wife and reap the benifits!

A catamite? No, but seriously, possibly a slave trader.

Best Job -- Varangian Gurad. I know this is Byzantine, but it has all of the perks of a Praetorian Guard, but you get a cool axe and any unit known as 'The Emperor's Wine-Bags' is obviously having a blast. Otherwise, I would e a Praetorian.

Worst Job -- On of Tiberius' boy toys

Rich people did not work and that would be my desired status. If I had to work then merchant would be the best. Travel a lot, meet people, have some money and a small villa in the islands of Greece.

Bad would be cheap slave, peasant or just poor. Eunuch will be the absolute worst becuase of job requirements.

An earlier poster said the worst job would be Caligula's PA. Are you mad, Aurelianus? What an opportunity to study one of the most fascinating characters in history. And it would certainly keep you on your toes! :)

Ooo... yes, the opertunities to get an insite into the workings of their minds, and not just Caligula - although i would still keep my distance.

Yes i am mad (slightly) not as much as old Gaius though ;)

Worst Job -- On of Tiberius' boy toys

Dont be so harsh on Tiberius, he has had a lot of bad press, espesialy from Suetonius (i think it was Suetonius, im too lazy to check right now. apologies)

Worst Job -- One of Tiberius' boy toys

Dont be so harsh on Tiberius, he has had a lot of bad press, espesialy from Suetonius (i think it was Suetonius, im too lazy to check right now. apologies)

May all the gods bless you, Aurelianus! You are right, in that Suetonius, the Max Clifford of the ancient world :) gave old Tibs a bad press, but Tacitus must share some blame too. ;)

Let me immediately lower the tone. I would have thrown myself at Augustus! Terentia has my utmost envy. And do not imagine I jest! Providing one kept ones nose clean and didn't nag at him too much, I should think Augustus' mistress would have been a wonderful occupation. :)

An earlier poster said the worst job would be Caligula's PA. Are you mad, Aurelianus? What an opportunity to study one of the most fascinating characters in history. And it would certainly keep you on your toes! :)

Short lived too. His eye would wander and some other woman would take his fancy. I wonder if that was because Livia browbeat him? "Another mistress eh? Slave, fetch me a rolling pin from the kitchen...."

Would I work as Caligula's PA? Erm... no. As soon as he realised I was studying him.... "Here Caldrailus, drink this....". Oh righto Ca.. ahh.. Gai.. um Caesar. Funny taste. Burning sensation. Strange.. I feel myself turning into a corpse... ;)