UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
frankq

Vespasian & Titus Link Up

Ptolemais was actually a viable port. (But it was outside Judea) It is highly possible that Titus arrived by sea. This was spring, the winds were good. Josephus doesn

I have an excellent set of photos of Vespasians arch I took last summer..how do I post the images here..? Image shack or some such hosting site?

I have an excellent set of photos of Vespasians arch I took last summer..how do I post the images here..? Image shack or some such hosting site?

Post them in another thread if you could.

Either post them on a blog or well known image holding site, then place a link in the thread and /or petition the Imperator to ask if you can have Gallery posting rights here.

Be careful. Modern names are not always the same as ancient ones and sometimes names are identical. There were at least two Nazareths in the holy lands for instance. Also if Titus marched through uplands it would conceal his advance as much as potential ambushers. The ambush would also require enough ambushers to congregate there and were they allowed enough time to do so?

Not sure what you mean by this. The map is specifically designed to address the place names of the 1st Century AD. There is no confusion here. And as for the uplands concealing the legion? This was exactly the kind of terrain that the Jews had used to always best their opponents. They had recently used the high ground to send the XII running with its tail between its legs. Moreover, Gallus had auxiliaries and almost 30,000 men under his command. Titus would gave been marching north with only one legion.

However, your question put about whether the rebels would have had time to post a resistance is a valid one. The nationalist movement was riddled with dissension. Nevertheless, Josephus had drilled his fighters well. If I were a general, I wouldn