UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gaius Paulinus Maximus

Education In Rome

Possibly, but remember that all societies allow a certain amount of 'cross-dressing'. Granted that certain moslem countries find that unpalatable but the difference in our society is that the former barriers have been disassembled. A man or woman can now expect to perform any role in society on an equal basis. Is that a good idea? Actually no, I don't think it is, but I don't want to view women as lesser beings.

Whilst I accept your arguement about Livia I have to point out that she was in a privileged position.

I am sorry to revive a topic from nearly three years ago, but I need some clarification.

It seems to have been established that the three levels of school Ludus Litterarius, Grammaticus, and Rhetor did neglect natural philosophy and mathematics. So would I be right to assume that one who needed advanced mathematics education (architects, doctors, et cetera) would be educated by apprenticing themselves?

I am sorry to revive a topic from nearly three years ago, but I need some clarification.

It seems to have been established that the three levels of school Ludus Litterarius, Grammaticus, and Rhetor did neglect natural philosophy and mathematics. So would I be right to assume that one who needed advanced mathematics education (architects, doctors, et cetera) would be educated by apprenticing themselves?

I am sorry to say I don't have an answer to your question, directly. However, just consider Roman legions and their capabilities. Caesar had his legion build two bridges over the Rhine in 55 and 53 BC. The first of these was between 140 and 400 metres long, 7 to 9 metres wide and was completed in only 10 days! So, who designed these bridges. Who calculated the amount of materials needed, the amount of work required and therefore the number of men required for the task? Somebody in that legion must have had a very practical knowledge of mathematics and geometry at the very least.

Next consider Roman forts, towns and camps while on marches. Without mathematics they would not have been able to do any of these things. So that implies somebody within every legion had mathematical ability. This means that somewhere, somebody was able to teach these practical skills.

I am amenable to the idea that the Romans did little to add to theoretical mathematics, but they must have had a very well developed knowledge of practical applications of mathematics. After all, how would they work out who owed what, particularly taxes, from the millions of people in the entire Roman empire?

Have a look at Caesar's Rhine Bridges and Roman Military Engineering. They couldn't have done these things without extensive knowledge of mathematics!

i read this post and it didn't say how i can do a timetable.

I am wondering how i can do a Roman student timetable, what they looked like and what other subjects they did? because i would like to do one and live like the roman's did

Caesonia Glorina said:
i read this post and it didn't say how i can do a timetable.

I am wondering how i can do a Roman student timetable, what they looked like and what other subjects they did? because i would like to do one and live like the roman's did

Caesonia Glorina, what exactly do you mean by "do a Roman student timetable"? Do you mean you want to learn Roman numerals? Is this link helpful for you?

https://www.unrv.com/culture/roman-numerals.php

-- Nephele