UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Viggen

Could One Man Build Stonehenge?

is very interesting and this or similar techniques could have easily been used by the builders of stonehenge...

You know, my friend and I were just talking about the construction of Stonehenge earlier.

we don't know how it was built, but we were wondering what it was used for. He thinks that it was used to mark the start of the growing season, the harvest, etc.

Is it known to allign with any sort of celestial configuration?

The only problem with this man's technique is that it is believed that the 'blue stones' a small number of stones brought to Stonehenge came from the mountains of south Wales. How they managed to 'spin' those stones all the way to southern England, including a crossing of the Severn river is much harder too explain. That is only if these 'blue stones' came from Wales and perhaps they didn't.

Is it known to allign with any sort of celestial configuration?

There have been several theories - but the most popular is that at dawn on the summer solstice (20th/21st June) the sun shines directly through the structure from east to west in a perfect line. Whether this had any great significance for the ancients I do not know.

That's a pretty interesting video and not a bad theory on how they got the stones vertical, but i think the real mystery is like DC says " how did they manage to get the stones there in the first place"

Scientists have done plenty of tests on the stones and are 99% certain that the stones came from the Welsh mountains

I wonder how long it would take to spin those stones from Wales ????????????

Another problem with this man's theories is that Stonehenge came in different phases, built over several centuries. First it was burrow, then they added wood ( a woodhenge) later on the stones were brought to the area and put in place, but a few centuries later some of the stones were adjusted into a different position.

Seeing as the site was built up over many centuries, it is possible that the builders had plenty of time to construct the monument and perfect the placing of the stones.

Another problem with this man's theories...

I think you misunderstand, and I think you've missed a point or two.

First, he used to have a website called "theforgottenknowledge.com," but I just took a look and couldn't find it.*

Anyway, he's not claiming that one man could have built or did build Stonehenge, or that it was built all at once; he's claiming it's not as difficult as most people think. Also, he's come up with a "portable road" that allows one man to roll several-hundred-pound weights; by extension, this would allow several men to roll several-thousand-pound weights (which would be hard on the stones over long distances, but might be useful for getting around or over obstacles).

*Found it! The name is "theforgottentechnology.com". It might help if I get the name right. :lol:

Anyway, be sure to run your mouse cursor over everything on the screen; it's not always intuitive on that site, what constitutes a link. Using his method, he's now singlehandedly moving and erecting 20,000-pound blocks of concrete.

Edited by Marcus Caelius