UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Pre-roman Connections To Britain

spittle

Below is a journal that you may find interesting:

Pytheas of Marseilles by C.F. Angus.

In regards to the other references to Pytheas, I do believe that Pliny cites him - though not in a particularly praising manner. It also seems that Tacitus referenced Pytheas' book in the Agricola; a lot of what Tacitus says about Thule corresponds with what Pytheas apparently wrote.

Edited by WotWotius

I'm going to buy the Cunliffe book. Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I cannot access the above Pytheas link. 'JSTOR' due to my location 'off campus'?

From GOLDWORTHY.

"Commius, the man who acted as Caesars envoy in Britain, was made king of his own tribe the Atrebates and also given overlordship of Menapii"

Anyone know anything about this person? Caesar increased his power BUT he already had existing authority within tribes on both sides of the channel.

Edited by spittle

I'm going to buy the Cunliffe book. Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately I cannot access the above Pytheas link. 'JSTOR' due to my location 'off campus'?

Sorry about that, I think it must only be available on my intranet (as opposed to the internet).

From GOLDWORTHY.

"Commius, the man who acted as Caesars envoy in Britain, was made king of his own tribe the Atrebates and also given overlordship of Menapii"

Anyone know anything about this person? Caesar increased his power BUT he already had existing authority within tribes on both sides of the channel.

COMMIUS: king of the Atrebates, was advanced to that dignity by Caesar. When Caesar's projected invasion of Britain became known to the inhabitants, ambassadors from various states came to him. Commius, in whose fidelity Caesar had great confidence, and whose influence in Britain was great, was sent back with them, accompanied by a small body of cavalry. He was seized and cast into chains by the Britons, but was released when, after a defeat, they found it expedient to sue for peace. (Caes. B. G. iv. 21, 27, 35.) In B. C. 53, , we find him serving under Caesar against the Menapii (vi. 6); but towards the close of 52, when an extensive league was formed by the Gauls for the purpose of relieving Alesia, his patriotism proved stronger than his gratitude.

He joined the confederates, and was one of those to whom the chief command was assigned. (vii. 76, 79, &c.) In the course of the ensuing winter, an ineffectual attempt was made by T. Labienus to assassinate him. (viii. 23.) We find him again in 51 one of the two leaders of the confederacy formed by the Bellovaci and the neighbouring tribes. (For an account of the operations which ensued, see B. G. viii. 7--23.) When the Atrebates were reduced to subjection, Commius continued to carry on a predatory warfare against the Romans, but, having lost a great part of his men in an engagement, he made his submission to Antonius. (viii. 47, 48.) - William Smith DG&RB&M

Commius' son (Tincommius?), may well have paid homage to Augustus himself.

'The following kings sought refuge with me as suppliants: Tiridates, King of Parthia, and later Phraates son of King Phraates; Artavasdes, King of the Medes ; Artaxares, King of the Adiabeni; Dumnobellaunus and Tincommius, Kings of the Britons; Maelo, King of the Sugambri; ... rus, King of the Marcomanni and Suebi. 2 Phraates, son of Orodes, King of Parthia, sent all his sons and grandsons to me in Italy, not that he had been overcome in war, but because he sought our friendship by pledging his children.' - Res Gestae, 32

Epigraphy (coins etc.), found in the territory of the British Atrebates, gives the impression that Tincommius was in fact a King of the Atrebates; but whether he was relative of Commius is not clear. However, the fact that a king of the Atrebates sought help from Rome in the time of Augustus indicates that the anti-Roman tribe of the Catuvellauni - a neighbouring tribe to the pro-Roman Atrebates - may well have started to expand into Atrebate land earlier than previously thought. Though this being said, Tincommius' homage could have just as easily have been as a result of civil war in his kingdom.