UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

I don't find where L. Sicinius (Siccius) Dentatus received a grass crown either.

He's the hero from Livy 3.43 whom the decemvirs assassinated, which (along with the Verginia debacle) sparked the secession of the plebs. Livy mentions no Grass Crown.

In Gellius' Attic Nights, we're told

that Lucius Sicinius Dentatus, who was tribune of the commons in the consulship of Spurius Tarpeius and Aulus Aternius was a warrior of incredible energy; that he won a name for his exceeding great valour, and was called the Roman Achilles. It is said that he fought with the enemy in one hundred and twenty battles, and had not a scar on his back, but forty-five in front; that golden crowns were given him eight times, the siege crown once, mural crowns three times, and civic crowns fourteen times; that eighty-three neck chains were awarded him, more than one hundred and sixty armlets, and eighteen spears; he was presented besides with twenty-five decorations;35 3he had a number of spoils of war,36 many of which were won in single combat; he took part with his generals in nine triumphal processions.

Gellius gives quite a comprehensive list--yet, no grass crown.

I just checked the first name on Wikipedia's list, and I'm not finding any confirmation at all, which leads me to wonder about the rest of the list. Can you find an ancient source claiming that L. Sicinius Dentatus received a grass crown?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Where do you keep pulling these great pictures from Pertinax???

In 80BC Caesar won the corona civica for saving another roman's life at the storming of Mitylene,

anybody know of any other famous recipiants of these prestigious awards?

Gaius Marius was supposed to have won the civic crown 3 times. The civic crown was only won for exceptional valour. The grass crown was very rarely won. Winners of the Grass Crown were Publius Decimus Mus, Scipio Africanus, Quintus Fabius Maximus Cuncator, Quintus Sertorius, Lucius Cornelius Sulla and a Gaius Fonteius. Under Sulla's laws, any winner of a grass or civic crown was adlected automatically to the senate. Which indicates even the civic was rarely won. Caesar won the civic becaue he reportedly saved a cohort thru his valour. Becauseof this he became a senator at age 20.