UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alexauxier

Ghosts at the Colosseum?

This past summer I traveled to the Colosseum. Great experience (although smaller than I imagined). I had a picture taken of me standing on the ground floor of the Colosseum. In the picture, there is a cone-shaped apparition which appears to be made of granite. It looks as though a large cone has been placed on several metal "legs" that support it, acting as it's base. It appears to be roughly 5 feet tall, inanimate, and...the best part...it has a VERY large flame shooting out of it.

It took several days for us to pinpoint the description I just gave. At first I assumed it was a printing error in the picture, spilled chemicals for instance. Then I finally saw the cone and it's legs (which may or may not allow for the cone to swivel). I don't know a great deal about artifacts from this period of Rome. My guess would be...if this is actually a "ghost"...it was a type of fire-holder or (not to sound cheesy) a "goblet of fire." Maybe for lighting Roman households, possibly for doing the same at the colesseum?

I would love to hear an expert opinion on the matter. I have search several journals and online publications, as well as image-searched Google, to try and find an answer. I think it will take a very brillant archaeologist to discover the secret behind my photograph...but PLEASE TRY!!!

Thanks,

Alex

alex.auxier@webmastersintl.com

Edited by alexauxier

It might be helpful if you could post a copy of the picture, Alex.

I cannot see a link.

Phil

It might be helpful if you could post a copy of the picture, Alex.

Yup. Analyzing photographs solely from verbal descriptions is, well, just plain silly.

Then I finally saw the cone and it's legs (which may or may not allow for the cone to swivel). I don't know a great deal about artifacts from this period of Rome. My guess would be...if this is actually a "ghost"...it was a type of fire-holder or (not to sound cheesy) a "goblet of fire." Maybe for lighting Roman households, possibly for doing the same at the colesseum?

In my expert analysis of the photograph in question, it is clearly the ghost of christians who were burnt at the stake by Nero as scapegoats for burning the city.