UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aphrodite

Bonfire Night!

Its bonfire night on Nov5th... and my uni is having the huge fireworks display tonight, but i'm missing it and staying in the library as i have too much work to do on my dissertation to go to the funfair :(

For those of you who are not familiar with bonfire night, we celebrate each year the foiling of the gunpowder plot to blow up the houses of parliment, the result of which was Guy Fawkes being burned to death.

It is tradition to let off fireworks and have a big bonfire, and to burn a 'guy' on the bonfire. This is basically a man that you make in the same way as a scarecrow... although its more of a thing for kids to make the guy and by now its probs been banned for resons of political correctness ;)

Anyway, on bofire night we all go down to bonfires and eat toffee apples and roast chestnuts!

I just wish Guy had tried to blow up parliment in the summer... :):lol:

Remember, remember the fifth of novemeber; gunpowder, treason and plot. I see of no reason why the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot...

It was like Bonfire night tonight where I live. It seems more of tradition to set off fireworks for several days before and after November the fifth these days. ;)

Poor Guido,he's been vilified all these years when the main conspirator was Robert Gatesby who's no ones heard off!

The conspirators plot to over throw the King and install his daughter as a Catholic monarch was wrong, but James I was a dog of a man and he deserved to be killed in my opinion.

When the torturers asked Guy why he did it, he said "To blow the Scots back into Scotland" :lol:

Then they put him on the rack and used the hot Irons on him and he soon gave up the other plotters (who wouldnt?) :D .

Remember, remember the fifth of November,

The Gunpowder, Treason and Plot.

I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason

should ever be forgot.

Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, 'twas his intent

to blow up the King and Parliament.

Three score barrels of powder below,

to prove old England's overthrow:

By God's mercy he was catch'd

With a dark lantern and burning match.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, let the bells ring.

Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!

Hip hip hoorah!

A penny loaf to feed the Pope.

A farthing o' cheese to choke him.

A pint of beer to rinse it down.

A faggot of sticks to burn him.

Burn him in a tub of tar.

Burn him like a blazing star.

Burn his body from his head.

Then we'll say ol' Pope is dead.

Hip hip huzzah!

Hip hip huzzah!

Edited by longbow