UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Are you guys up for the challenge????

Aphrodite

Of keeping me entertained for the next few months, while I write my dissertation?

I figure chit chat on this board is still historical and topical so not as bad as msn distractions! This way i get to continue learning.... although I'm not sure how interested most of you will be in the women and, their lives, of late antiquity....

Maybe the femal slant on a few issues will add to the debate... who knows! ;)

Of keeping me entertained for the next few months, while I write my dissertation?

I figure chit chat on this board is still historical and topical so not as bad as msn distractions! This way i get to continue learning.... although I'm not sure how interested most of you will be in the women and, their lives, of late antiquity....

Aphrodite, you are a godsend! We ladies languish here among our beloved patriarchs...... :) But to be fair to the men on the Forum, they would welcome 'the female slant', and we only have ourselves to blame if we don't contribute. I have several little projects in mind..... I hope you'll help.

I look forward to posting and chit-chatting with you over the coming months.

Just dont touch the figs!

Good luck, Aphrodite. I'm in the final editing stages with mine--I meet with my committee next week to get a defense date and to find out how much more I need to do. So I'll either be scarce on here, or I'll be vocal!

I'm all for women's studies until it degenerates into bitchy pomo deconstructionist blather.

Aside from that, the early empire and the growing freedom of women (of at least the upper class variety) in contrast to the patriarchy of the Republic is quite interesting.

The topic of women and sexuality in ancient Rome is also very interesting, but perhaps not suitable to everyone.

Funny how people cope with writing their dissertations. While writing mine, I kept my sanity by writing reviews for Amazon--it was just the right level of distraction: not too interesting to get caught up in, not as brain numbing as re-re-re-writing the same paragraph again and again. If I had known about UNRV, I'd have finished 1000 posts before my defense!

Aphrodite, you are a godsend! We ladies languish here among our beloved patriarchs...... :) But to be fair to the men on the Forum, they would welcome 'the female slant', and we only have ourselves to blame if we don't contribute. I have several little projects in mind..... I hope you'll help.

I look forward to posting and chit-chatting with you over the coming months.

Excellent! I will look out for your posts, and when my brain is ticking over i shall post and look forward to your replies too :)

Are you studying/researching, or do you have a personal interest in the subjuect?

Just dont touch the figs!

I read that and thought you said the fags! As we all know a womans best friend is a gay man... but what do you mean by the figs?

Its xmas soon and my dad will be eating figs if that counts?

I'm all for women's studies until it degenerates into bitchy pomo deconstructionist blather.

Aside from that, the early empire and the growing freedom of women (of at least the upper class variety) in contrast to the patriarchy of the Republic is quite interesting.

The topic of women and sexuality in ancient Rome is also very interesting, but perhaps not suitable to everyone.

"until it degenerates into bitchy pomo deconstructionist blather"

In preference to macho great men of history type topics?

I don't think there is a place in historical research for 'bitchy pomo deconstuctionist blather' personaly... what about you? I'm most certainly not a feminist, but i am most drawn to social history and the lives of families and women - looking further into the rhetorical sources and finding the backgrounds and hidden meanings of society :)

Funny how people cope with writing their dissertations. While writing mine, I kept my sanity by writing reviews for Amazon--it was just the right level of distraction: not too interesting to get caught up in, not as brain numbing as re-re-re-writing the same paragraph again and again. If I had known about UNRV, I'd have finished 1000 posts before my defense!

isn't it just... i planned to have an early night but got draged out to party - my first night out in over two weeks and i really needed it! lets see how i cope in the morning.

The dissertation is nothing like i imagined, its taken over my life and all i can see is getting the best grade I possibly can, and i'm sacrficing a vibrant social life for it, but i know it will be so so so worht it :D

Good luck, Aphrodite. I'm in the final editing stages with mine--I meet with my committee next week to get a defense date and to find out how much more I need to do. So I'll either be scarce on here, or I'll be vocal!

Good luck doco! What is your subject area?

Historical Romance nominal morphology...put into English, I study the evolution of gender inflection and agreement from Latin into (early) Romance, combined with language change theories. And my head's about to explode!

Frankly I envy PhD candidates. Working in seclusion on a topic you presumably chose and actually like seems a godsend. It seems to beat the hell out of the dog-eat-dog tussle of law school and the daily inquisition of the legal Socratic method, at least from what I can tell from friends and acquaintances. I came to this conclusion during my first year of law school--what I'd opted for instead of a PhD program. I guess the grass is always greener...and the lawyer jokes...if I had a dollar...

Edited by Virgil61

Frankly I envy PhD candidates. Working in seclusion on a topic you presumably chose and actually like seems a godsend. It seems to beat the hell out of the dog-eat-dog tussle of law school and the daily inquisition of the legal Socratic method, at least from what I can tell from friends and acquaintances. I came to this conclusion during my first year of law school--what I'd opted for instead of a PhD program. I guess the grass is always greener...and the lawyer jokes...if I had a dollar...

But there are times (I seem to remember) that you wonder why on earth you chose it and whether it will ever end ... successfully ... Good luck to all who are facing those questions right now!

The grass is always greener. And "working in seclusion" is exactly right--I spent almost 2 years working alone in a windowless basement office. I'd have loved to have been getting interrogated or joining in something competitive--which, not having done, is easy to say!

Historical Romance nominal morphology...put into English, I study the evolution of gender inflection and agreement from Latin into (early) Romance, combined with language change theories. And my head's about to explode!

wow. That sounds taxing, but rewarding! Good luck with it, it must be such a relief to be nearing the final hurdle.

I am happy today as I got good feedback from my tutor on my first chapter draft, i had been nervous to say the least!

I'm not a phd student, I study in england and here all finalists write a dissertation, I'm not sure if this differs in america? But yes, i did get to choose the subject and i'm really enjoying it (when i'm not pulling my hair out), its very rewarding conducting my own research and I think i will be so so proud when its done! Good luck with law school.... yes don't worry the grass is always greener, when i'm having a bad day i find my self wishing i was doing something more structured!