UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WotWotius

Aemilianus and the Gracchi

Where exactly did Aemilianus stand politically during the fateful years of 133 BC to his death in 129 BC?

My view is that he was a moderate; he could not bring himself to condone the actions of Tiberius Gracchus, but he was sympathetic to the woes of Rome's Italian allies.

Your thoughts?

Edited by WotWotius

Where exactly did Aemilianus stand politically during the fateful years of 133 BC to his death in 129 BC?

My view is that he was a moderate; he could not bring himself to condone the actions of Tiberius Gracchus, but he was sympathetic to the woes of Rome's Italian allies.

That's my interpretation. I think Aemilianus was perhaps the finest Cornelian in Roman history.

That's my interpretation. I think Aemilianus was perhaps the finest Cornelian in Roman history.

My impression of Scipio Aemilianus Africanus is that he was first and foremost a general and provincial governor. While an able politician, he seems to have had little personal use for the factional fighting in the capital. This may be a stretch, but perhaps he was among the first imperialists... understanding that there were opportunities for able persons in provincial environments away from the forum.

Cicero views him as the greatest Roman statesman

The big question is - how come that the ancients did not manage to tell us wether this great man was murdered or just had died from old age (under 60...and we are talking about an Aristocrat) ?

"He was found dead in his bed..." ?!?!

The big question is - how come that the ancients did not manage to tell us wether this great man was murdered or just had died from old age (under 60...and we are talking about an Aristocrat) ?

"He was found dead in his bed..."

...murdered by disgruntled Gracchans.

It is a possibility , I would say at least 50 % .

Astin's Scipio Aemilianus has been highly praised for reconstructing this period that is utterly lost from Livy's histories. Astin focuses largely on Scipio's political career rather than his military one, so the book might offer some insights.

It may well have been his wife, Sempronia for all we know.