UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zama

Siege Of Troy

The story of the Siege of Troy is known chiefly from translations of the epic poem, The Iliad, which is attributed to the poet Homer. Tradition has it that Homer was a blind bard who lived and wandered on the Aegean coast of Asia Minor. He is referred to in at least two historical references before AD: Xenophanes of Colophon, a Greek poet and philosopher, who lived from 570 B.C. to 480 B.C. refers to Homer and the historian, Herodotus, wrote, "Homer lived four hundred years before my time." This would place Homer at about 850 B.C. However, very little is actually known of Homer and there is even some doubt as to his existence. There are those who argue that Homer

Nice post, Zama.

While whatever historical prelude to the Trojan war is fascinating, I'll reiterate what I said in another thread. Mythology should be read as allegory or entertainment (or both), and attempts to ground it somehow in the real world are superfluous.

The Greek war bands probably marched against Ilium for control of the surrounding trade routes, and that's all well and good. But Homer's Trojan War is about the relation of men to gods, fate and honor - and that's what matters. :-)

There is, I think, still some debate about which era of Troy VII suffered the seige, two separate but adjoining layers are possibilities.

I have been to "windy" Troy, and it was a very moving experience. the citdeal was tiny, but the remains are fasinating, especially the sloping wall, "Scaean" gate and the much older ramp and gates of Troy II.

I very much believe that the Trojan war was a real event, probably part of a series of campaigns, fought against the backdrop of wider Hittite and Mycenaean/Achaian politics.

The discovery that Alexandros (paris) of troy was a real person, I find amazing.

But Homer paints a glorified, composite picture, including older elements and characters, and also some details that reflect his own day. But the Illiad is IMHO a tribute to memory and the relative accuracy of oral tradition.

Phil