UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums
Princeps

Saddam to hang

What do you think of the death penalty? I think it's kind of barbaric myself. Anyway, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has been sentenced to hang to death. I wonder what the consequences will be.

I agree Princeceps, death by hanging is ghastley!

If he has to be killed perhaps lethal injection would do instead

Isn't barbarism precisely the point of the death penalty? Either murder criminals publically and violently to send a message, or don't kill them at all. Humane execution is a ludicrous concept.

I think its there so that the executers can maintain the "moral highground", and because of modern culture in the west many could not stomach witnessing such a thing. I agree with you though, If somebody deserves to die, then why bother with wether it hurts them or not?

They have sentenced him then? when did this happen, I was watching the news last night and it didn't say anything about it.

Isn't barbarism precisely the point of the death penalty? Either murder criminals publically and violently to send a message, or don't kill them at all. Humane execution is a ludicrous concept.

What is the message though? It's either "There's a chance you could end up like this" or "We're animals, this is what we do, it's ok for you to do this too", I think it's the second message.

The death of Saddam will bring the Shi'ite and Sunni one step closer to civil war.

But would keeping Saddam alive also keep a glimmer of hope burning in the minds of the Sunni who had positions of wealth and power under his Ba'ath regime? These are the leaders of the insurgents and maybe the judicial murder of Saddam will prevent hundreds of innocent lives being lost?

Phil did a degree in international studies, maybe he can judge the options best.

The death of Saddam will bring the Shi'ite and Sunni one step closer to civil war.

civil war - a war between factions or regions of the same country. It's already happening, don't let the euphemisms fool you.

What do you think of the death penalty? I think it's kind of barbaric myself. Anyway, former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has been sentenced to hang to death. I wonder what the consequences will be.

Frankly after personally seeing some of the savagery that animal and his cohorts commited in Iraq and Kuwait in '91 and '03/04 drawing and quartering the SOB over a series of hours would be humane.

When you're tending to thousands of Kurdish refugees in shock about losing many in their family and their homes in gas attacks because they couldn't run from their villages fast enough or seeing people dig up bones in a graveyard of 10,000 Shia to identify loved ones killed by Saddam's security forces you tend to lose that glossy idealism about the sanctity of every human life.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy if you ask me!

This man has been responsible for thousands of atrocities, murders of innocent men, women and children, in my opinion hanging is a let off for him :hang:

But would keeping Saddam alive also keep a glimmer of hope burning in the minds of the Sunni who had positions of wealth and power under his Ba'ath regime? These are the leaders of the insurgents and maybe the judicial murder of Saddam will prevent hundreds of innocent lives being lost?

Phil did a degree in international studies, maybe he can judge the options best.

A low level civil war began while I was there. The Shia have a lot of vengence built up in them. In mixed areas much of our time was spent heading off large-scale reprisals. It wasn't a great secret that the only Iraq units that were any good in the Sunni areas were those comprised of Kurds or Shia.

Few insurgent leaders are strictly Saddam loyalists anymore, perhaps in the Tikrit and surrounding area. They are small pockets of Sunni for the most part and there's little co-ordination on a large scale. The Sunni ruled Iraq for 80 years, they skimmed the wealth for themselves and oppressed the Shia and Kurds. They've lost it all and now they're p*ssed--getting back for what they've sown for 80 years.

The options at this point are few, perhaps a federalist Iraq. The Sunni aren't organized enough to even guarantee a cease-fire of any sort with the Iraqi government.

The best tactical option (and it's counter-intuitive) from a US standpoint is to bring troop levels up by 50 to 100k more than they are at now. Saturate the Sunni areas with soldier and Marines for one to two years. Every large village to city has troops living within it. Constant foot patrols, getting to know locals even if they hate your and garnering intel by including Iraqi army elements. It's akin to putting police foot patrols in neighborhoods. You get to know the locals, word gets out as to who the insurgents are eventually, they can be gathered up or movements checked or even brought in for talks. Put platoon sized elements on highway intersections and along major stretches who will get to know the familiar vehicle movements and individuals in their areas.

Casualties would be high in the first six months, then as intel and local knowledge of insurgent elements by individual units increases you'll see a gradual slowdown in bombings, attacks etc. It's a tactical plan that unit commanders on the ground have wanted for the last two years but of course Rummy knows better.

i wonder what kind of hanging method they are going to use..

like the one with the trap door where the victims neck is snapped or like they use in Iran (a crane slowly lifts the noose and the victim slowly suffocates)

Frankly after personally seeing some of the savagery that animal and his cohorts commited in Iraq and Kuwait in '91 and '03/04 drawing and quartering the SOB over a series of hours would be humane.

When you're tending to thousands of Kurdish refugees in shock about losing many in their family and their homes in gas attacks because they couldn't run from their villages fast enough or seeing people dig up bones in a graveyard of 10,000 Shia to identify loved ones killed by Saddam's security forces you tend to lose that glossy idealism about the sanctity of every human life.

I would never dream of suggesting that Saddam's life is sacred. My objection to capital punishment has nothing to do with the subject, I'd agree that a lot of people do deserve to die. My objection has more to do with the state of a society that is willing to carry out the execution. But my objections aren't really very strong, I wouldn't be annoyed with anyone that has a different view.

It's called justice; there is nothing barbaric about hanging a mass murderer. People have short memories when it comes to serial killers, but the victims continue to suffer.

i wonder what kind of hanging method they are going to use..

like the one with the trap door where the victims neck is snapped or like they use in Iran (a crane slowly lifts the noose and the victim slowly suffocates)

The slow method is more appropriate in this case.

Edited by tflex

The execution of Saddam is the thin end of the wedge. Of course its justified to hang Saddam. Thewn they hang people for lesser crimes. Eventually innocents become the casualty's of miscarriages of justice, You cannot release someone from death if new evidence prooves them not guilty.

A line in the sand should be drawn here. NO DEATH PENALTY. No matter how much justification. Every execution desensitizes us a little more, ultimately cheapening the value of human life.