UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Your screen name

Nephele you already told us its an anagram of your name ;)

:lol: I forgot!

And, yep, Flavia Gemina really is Caroline Lawrence (a.k.a. Cornelia the cart-girl!)

-- Nephele

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...if you are indeed Caroline Lawrence that i absolutely adored your books and continue to. thanks heaps for setting a fictional story for younger readers in ancient Rome...

Thanks, Honorius! You can be my friend! :lol:

Flavia (AKA Caroline Lawrence)

The reason I choose my name is because Drusus Nero was a very talented commander in the field, as well as being the father of two of the most famous men in Roman history.

I mean of course Germanicus and Claudius.

Not forgetting to mention, being the son of Livia, mother of the country.

If his life hadn't been cut short :rip: , who knows what glorious victories :) he might have brought back to Rome?.

Edited by Drusus Nero

I chose my screen name because I admire Vercingetorix for rising up & taking on the Roman war machine. Anyone who had the moxy to stand up to Caesar like that is one brave man. It didn't get him very far though.... :rip:

:) King of the Gauls

I had chosen Kosmo because of the famous character Kosmo Kramer from Seinfeld and because it's close to my real name - Cosmin.

My first option was Digenis Akritas but I thought it's to byzantine for a roman place like this one. Also I had no ideea that I will became addicted to this place and thought that if I don't use my usual screen name I will forget my name and be unable to sign in later - it happened to me several times in other places where I was going rarely.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I go by "G Man" on other message boards, so G-Manicus is a romanization of that. And besides, it sounds a little like Germanicus to boot.

I had chosen Kosmo because of the famous character Kosmo Kramer from Seinfeld and because it's close to my real name - Cosmin.

Never heard of him. :D

Cicero first started interesting me after I read the biography by Anthony Everett. Then I began to read some of his work and he really impressed me. (I dont believe all his arguements. especially that one can be blissfully happy while being tortured) He seemed like a great guy to have a deep discussion with.

The D is my first initial.

(by the way my sis says this name sounds like a really really really lame hip hop artist <_<

but i think dat hoe is trippin yo

I axe ya is she trippin? B)

CiceroD is in dah house !!!

It took me about five years to finally decide on Publius Nonius Severus. I discovered my Romanitas about five years ago and took seriously the process for finally deciding on a name for my Roman "Persona". I tried to tie my real life persona and my Roman Persona together for my screen name.

I wanted to choose the nomen of an established plebeian gens active in the period of the late Republic (my primary period of interest). I chose Nonius because there were several Nonii documented during the period and it partially resembles my real surname. I chose Publius because my real first names begins with a P so I thought that would be a good praenomen. I chose Severus for my cognomen after considering several possible descriptors for my paternal grandfather (who was the patriarch for the branch of my real family). I thought Severus was fitting, and several of the men in my family have an S name somewhere in the mix as well. Of course, had I know ahead of time that a major character in the Harry Potter series was named "Severus", I would have chosen a different one (and still may change one day). So, I ended up with a unique but plausible name for the period of my interest to express myself in all ways Roman.

When I wandered in here to UNRV the first time I knew I wanted to sign up before leaving, but hadn't before consided a screen name. Being very late at night locally, I did what I usually do under pressure: thought of an example of a lesson learned, and my reading of "Faust" was that lesson: to never make a deal with the "devil".

I chose that name with a masculine ending, believing I would change it before long, to something more becoming of myself. I especially liked a snippet from a version of FAUST that I print here in full. It seems to be a credo to live by. And I like the favorable quality of the fiery Italian blood so at that moment it all hung together for me (I would be Faustus):

"But Still I'm troubled by one thing:

Time is short and art is long.

I'd think you'd let yourself be taught.

Associate yourself with a poet and let

him gallop through all fields of thought

and heap all noble qualities on your honored head:

The lion's courage, the stag's speed,

the fiery Italian blood, the Norman's fortitude."

~~~~(Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)

• 3 months later...

****BUMP*****

It's been a while since the last post and we've gained a few more members bringing interesting names along with them so come on you newbies explain yourselves!!!! :lol:

The reason why I use my particualr name is simple.

If you join a renactment group you are usually given the name of an actual Roman period soldier, which has been taken from recorded tombstones, who served in the particular unit being 'recreated'.

In my case, although not currently active in reenactment, ever since my time in the 'Legions' I have tended to use my 'Roman' name on the Roman related fora I visit.