UNRV Ancient Roman Empire Forums

Very interesting stuff, Formosus! So, you chose to be a member of the Sempronia gens when you joined SVR? I did an article on the Surnames of the Sempronii that you might enjoy.

Perhaps you already know this, but your screen-name cognomen of "Formosus" means "handsome." :)

-- Nephele

*****BUMP*****

Seen as though we've had a mass influx of new members lately I thought I'd give this thread a little bump.....

So come you new guys, why'd you choose your screen name???

Cheers.

GPM

*****BUMP*****

Seen as though we've had a mass influx of new members lately I thought I'd give this thread a little bump.....

Cheers.

GPM

That's a handy bump, GPM. I've just moved postings from one of our newest members (Hi, Formosus!) into this thread, as he has some fun stories to tell about his own screen name.

-- Nephele

Haha this is true bumping - it's ages ago since I posted here. Have I really been around for that long? :lol:

Salvete Gaie Pauline et Omnes !

And Hail to You, Nephele, You Benevolent and Omnipotent Queen of Darkness !

I was just about to thank G. Paulinus Maximus for his helpful bump and rather desperately trying to work out how I was going to link those posts over to here, when hey, I see someone has already done that for me.

So that just leaves me to thank you Gaius Paulinus, for the BUMP and you, dear Nephele, for the help.

Valete Optime !

Salvete,

I took on this board the name I'm using nearly on all other (Roman) boards (except for SVR) which is my arena name Medusa. And that I had chosen as it's catchy and many gladiators had arena names from Greek mythology.

Salvete Nephele et Omnes !

Perhaps you already know this, but your screen-name cognomen of "Formosus" means "handsome." ;)

Handsome but Fair, I say.

Yes, I had quite a discussion with my wife about all that when I was adopted into the Roman community : she wanted to adopt the name 'Xanthippe Formosa' or even 'Xanthippe Viriusta' which is even more ridiculous. She has no Latin at all that woman. (She used to be just called 'Xanthippe, the wife of Formosus')

I managed to trick her into going with 'Xanthippe Sempronia Furiosa'. A very appropriate name, I think. And conforming to classical Roman rules. By the time she found out what the last part meant, she was stuck with it.

Find out more at

Formosi Furiosi

Valete bene et nil desperandum,

Thank you for your kind words, Formose carissime.

Medusa, I must say it's nice to see a use of names from Greek mythology over here! (Says, Nephele, who has taken a Greek mythology name for herself. ;) )

-- Nephele

I was named after Aurelia Cotta, mother of Julius Caesar. I've always thought she was an interesting historical character not because she was regarded as the model Roman matron but more due to her being perceived as highly intelligent, independent and sensible. Praise indeed for a woman from the late Republican period (i.e. before women became more emancipated).

I always wanted to be a part of the Gens Julia, and the name Gaius Julius Camillus sounds very dignified and noble. I actually borrowed the Camillus part because of the Lindsey Davis Marcus Didius Falco series. I liked the character Quintus Justinus Camillus.

On a side note, my son was named officially Caedicius Antonius and born on what is Caesar's birth date.

Salvete Nephele et Omnes !

Another place for your 'must-visit' list : Nevele . Old fashioned Flemish country life.

Not much of a place you'd think but home once to some of Flanders most celebrated authors.

Not surprising : 'Nevele, Hansbeke, Merendree, Landegem, Poesele, Vosselare, ...' if that's not poetry, I don't know what is.

Plenty of mist and clouds too, to be enjoyed. If there's one thing we're not short of ...

And it's about halfway between Brugge and Gent. Flanders' once most mighty and still most beautyful cities.

Here World History was shaped in the late Middle Ages. Ahh, those were the days !

Here's a musical and visual impression.

jacques brel sings 'mijn vlakke land'

Valete bene,

Formosus

*****BUMP*****

Cheers.

GPM

Silanus sounded good, I thought, and he was Scipio's colleague at Illipa. My first name, Mark, was obviously going to be changed to Marcus and it so happens that the Silanus at Illipa was a Marcus. No more imaginative than that.

Silanus sounded good, I thought, and he was Scipio's colleague at Illipa. My first name, Mark, was obviously going to be changed to Marcus and it so happens that the Silanus at Illipa was a Marcus. No more imaginative than that.

Greetings fellow Northerner - I see you hail from Mamucium. My name is Neil, and I come from the North - simple as that!

(The North of England, that is!)